Best threads?

Hey! I just registered at this site this week.

Apologies for being so lazy, but I was wondering if anyone could point me to any particularly relevant posts that I should check out first, so I can get involved here?

Thanks very much! Michael

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Best threads?

Michael,

There are several members who have posted some fairly useful stuff. For some obviously alien reason, I'm somewhat partial to may of my posts. :roll:

Go to "advanced search", search on the words "requirement" and "efficiency" (without the quotation marks), select "match all words", enter "crewzer" as the author, check the "General Solar Topics" and "Solar Electric & Systems Discussions Forum" forums, and then hit "search". The results may be helpful to you.

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is it that you are looking to do?

Solar?
    Wind?
    Hydro?
    Grid-tie?
    Off-Grid?
    Have no idea what I'm blathering about ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

there is so much reading you could and should do here on the forum and it isn't just from one or 2 people as there are many knowledgable people onboard here so just start reading subject areas you'd think you'd be interested in. also check out this pdf. http://www.homepower.com/files/beginner/SolarElectricBasics.pdf
    if you have basic questions and can't find the answers to them don't be afraid to ask.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Welcome Mike!

What are your goals? Mine are power backup and I am a battery freak, but that is another story. Once you have some goals in mind, even vague, you can share your thoughts and begin to develop a plan to make it happen.

On another note, I ran into some Champion batteries today. They are the Champion version of Absolite I think. They are nonspillable, a whole pallet full too. Five units total. Two units are 12 volts, the best one reads 12.04. The others are 24 volts. The 12 volt one is 400 AH @ the 8 hr rate. One of the 24 volt ones are 180 AH @ the 8 hr rate. Another is 230 AH @ the 8 hr rate. There are 2 GNB chargers that work, I plugged them in. Anyway, there are about 2400 lbs of batteries for $200 and that includes a 12 volt 30 amp charger and a 15 amp 24 volt charger. These came from a closed down Walmart in Kansas City. When they built a bigger store, they just auctioned off the material handling stuff. I think that these were out of powered pallet jacks. I think that the chargers might be worth most of the $200, but I don't know what commercial chargers bring.

Anyone have any luck pulse charging batteries back to life to remove the sulfate crystals? Tons of info can be had here http://www.shaka.com/~kalepa/desulf.htm. They are recovering batteries for salvage value and making them live for years!

Skip
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

hi and welcome!
    i'd start with the national electric code, and then let's hear what questions you might have. I, personally, will be available to clear up any misunderstandings of the code and to impart my interpretations which sometimes may seem in conflict with the book, but that's just because you're new. trust me. :evil: :roll:
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Michael,

Did you find what you were looking for?

REgards,
    Jim / crewzer