advice needed for solar powered electro luminscent light

Options
Hi, I'm trying to put together a solar powered electro-luminscent light that uses a rechargeable lithium ion battery. As a way to experiment, I've taken apart an electro luminscent night light that plugs into a wall socket, and tried to hook up the wafer thin light to a 3.6 volt Lithium-ion button battery, however it does not light up. My questions are:

1. The specs for the salvaged EL night light is 120 volts, and .03 watts. Is the fact that the battery I tried to use is only 3.6 volts the reason why it won't light up? Why does the indigo EL light in a Timex Ironman watch light up ok with a 3.6 volt battery in the watch, yet the light I salvaged from the night light does not?

2. What would I need to do to power the salvaged EL light to illuminate with a Lith-ion button cell?

3. Would it be possible to use a 1 inch by half inch size solar cell to power a rechargeable lithium ion button cell that would power an EL light?

4. Are there any good book or web-based sources to learn about this sort of thing?

Thank you very much for any advice anyone can offer.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: advice needed for solar powered electro luminscent light

A couple of quick answers:

1. An EL panel is really a capacitor with special phosphors... You need 120 VAC (~60-400 Hz) to make it light. A simple battery will never work.

2. You would need to build/buy/salvage a DC to AC inverter to light the EL (the EL panels are very low power--so the inverter does not have to be large. Also, the intensity is proportional to both the voltage and frequency). EL panels do not last forever and will dim after a few months to years of use. Also, they may be damaged by moisture (typically if the edges are cut and not sealed).

3. Rechargeable cells, like L-Ion can be very dangerous if charged or handled incorrectly (and/or if shorted). You would probably be better of starting with Ni-Cads and/or Metal hydride type cells first. L-Ion--IIRC--need very speciallized chargers and typically have an internal fuse/current limit built into consumer cells.

Just Google Electro Luminescent panels (used quite a bit in laptops and military equipment) and you should find more information than you can ever read.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Options

Hi,

Were your hopes to have the EL lit all night by power acquired during the day? Or just to light the EL briefly (like a few seconds, as in reading your Timex)?

Bill is right that Li-Ion requires some care, but I think the danger in charging is only at high charge rates. Take a looks at Rose Electronics, they may have a chip, or even a battery with built-in charger. I don't know if they sell to individuals, though. At the low currents produced by solar cells, you won't even need a temperature monitor for your Li-Ion. However, you need a way to sustain about 4.1 V (depending on battery type) across the battery, and if you have only a single cell, you won't be getting that kind of voltage.

NiMH works better with a pulse charger, but good old NiCd can be trickle charged. Maybe what you want to do is try salvaging a solar yard light. They tend to have about a 2-3" square area of cells on the top, and charge a single NiCd. Also, they use LED, possibly for cost reasons, but it works reasonably. Maybe you can work just on the inverter circuit to provide 120 VAC (at a very tiny current) from a single NiCd, and maybe you can even get an efficiency that allows you to run longer than an LED. Then it would be a simple matter of stealing the solar cells, charger, and battery from the solar yard light.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The 120V AC night lites, as you found, won't work.

You might try some "EL wire" It's a phosphor laden coax cable, paired with a driver (inverter) that
    is even nicer than a square EL panel.
    Look for it under names like "cool neon" "glow wire" or even "EL wire".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_wire
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You might want to go with something more simple like a "Krill" lamp. It is powered by AA or AAA batteries and uses that same EL material.

http://www.xenoline.com/krilllamps.html

Honestly though I have a couple and would choose a glo-toob

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/6536/

over a EL any day. A small LED will get you more lumens per watt or light for the power used. The trick is to find a LED light that is really a power sipper. Something like a PAL survival can run 2 years in "find me" mode and a week in low from a 9v battery.

I would then just use a NiMH battery to power these and charge via a small solar panel. I have one PAL in the kids room powered from 4 AA batteries and I run it a week and then recharge the batteries. I would guess I could go about three weeks before I really needed to recharge them.

http://www.theledlight.com/palights.html
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

I too would only suggest EL type lamps if you have a specific need (like back lighting for instrument panel or an LCD panel--or need EL "cable" for Halloween). They are not the most efficient light and don't have good life.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Someone mentioned using an inverter to power your Electro Luminescent panels. If you do try this, use only a true sine wave inverter. Since the panel is a capacitor, it will "over-conduct" on modified sine because of all the sharp corners in the voltage and soon burn out the panel. Had one customer who burned out 4 in one week, before switching to another light source.
    Wayne