New DC Ceiling Fans

Options
Desert Rat
Desert Rat Solar Expert Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
For many years I've been using 24VDC ceiling fans in my off-grid home because they were about the only reasonable choice for solar electricity. My DC fans have been a lifesaver, but admittedly they leave a lot to be desired. They are small (42 in. blades), don't allow lighting, and let's face it, they look pretty cheesy. I'm now building a new addition, and I sprang for two of the new fans that run on 110VAC, but have DC motors. I went with the Emerson Carrera Grande ECO fans, but there are many companies that have the new DC fans in various styles. These are "real" fans--many style/finish/blade options, 60 in. blades, ability to mount lights, 6 speeds, and they look good. The best part--a draw of 28 watts on high speed.

Attachment not found.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: New DC Ceiling Fans
    Desert Rat wrote: »
    the new fans that run on 110VAC, but have DC motors.

For an off-gridder it just goes to demonstrate the futility of wiring a home for DC. There is a better selection and price of products that run on AC. It's often more cost effective to start with DC, convert to AC, and convert back to DC at the fan, than to wire an off-grid home for DC and use DC appliances.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • cupcake
    cupcake Solar Expert Posts: 254 ✭✭✭
    Options

does the fan push good air??

-cc
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel
    Morningstar MPPT-60 controllers (2) in parallel
    3 Trojan tr-1275's in parallel 450ah total
    Samlex 2,000 watt 12-volt inverter hardwired

• Desert Rat
    Options
    cupcake wrote: »
    does the fan push good air??

-cc

Sure does. 7184 CFM according to specs.
    BTW, still 2+ weeks until summer starts officially, and it hit 112° here today.
  • cupcake
    Options
    Sure does. 7184 CFM according to specs.
    BTW, still 2+ weeks until summer starts officially, and it hit 112° here today.

same temp here as I am in the desert too. Do you run a evap-cooler off your solar system as well?

--Cakie
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• Desert Rat
    Options
    cupcake wrote: »
    Do you run a evap-cooler off your solar system as well?

--Cakie
    Yep, I have a small AC swamp cooler; it draws about 300 watts on low speed. I can run it from 11AM to 7PM without dipping into the batteries. I seldom use it--as long as it's below 100° in the house I'm OK with just my fans.
  • cupcake
    Options
    Yep, I have a small AC swamp cooler; it draws about 300 watts on low speed. I can run it from 11AM to 7PM without dipping into the batteries. I seldom use it--as long as it's below 100° in the house I'm OK with just my fans.

What model was is it?

I am thinking abut hooking up the port-a-kool 2200...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_381380-19012-PACCYC03A_0__?productId=3654350

this one is 300watts on high, 500sqft...

Also how much coin did you drop for you new DC ceiling fan if you don't mind me asking - I know they are a pit more pricey...

Thanks

--cake in a cup
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• Desert Rat
    Options

My evap cooler is an Alpine brand, bought from True Value Hardware. I don't know if that's still an existing brand. It was the smallest size they had, around 2800 CFM IIRC.
    Here's the problem with the portable units as I see it: these coolers work by evaporation, and the drier the incoming air, the better. If the cooler is operated indoors, then the incoming air is already humidified, and you get a vicious cycle of decreasing efficiency. A 2800 CFM window unit will work much better, and is typically under $400.
    My new ceiling fans were around $550 each.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

One can go here to see more. The Kingsbury doesn't look so efficient overall, but looks great at low speed (maybe is moves almost no air). Some of these fans are so expensive that they don't make sense.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Hairfarm
    Hairfarm Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Options

Here's an evaporative cooler I made that runs on roughly 9ADC. It was made based on instructions @ http://www.livingonsolar.com/solar-cooling.html.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcWIlm1CZQA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW17t1kbFH4

I don't what the CFM rating is or anything, but it works great and blows cold.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Options
    My new ceiling fans were around $550 each.

Wow! $275 each??? Not sure I see the value considering my 52" $50 fan from Home Depot only draws 42w on high (which I rarely use because it moves TOO much air) and on low it is 25w. But maybe I am missing something (likely).
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html