What issues are there if solar panels are sitting in the sun with it's feed open...

rgearhead
rgearhead Solar Expert Posts: 38
Hi all..... lets say YOUR' system's charge controller fryed, and you switched off the feed from your solar array... now it's going to take you a week to get a new charge controller, So ? will your array be fine, what to do ??

thanks Bob....

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: What issues are there if solar panels are sitting in the sun with it's feed open...

No issues, just make sure the disconnect is safe. i.e. no dangling wires.
  • rgearhead
    Re: What issues are there if solar panels are sitting in the sun with it's feed open...

Glad to hear this, thanks Dave''
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    solar_dave wrote: »
    No issues, just make sure the disconnect is safe. i.e. no dangling wires.

That assumes silicon based panels. Those toxic CdTe panels can be harmed by sitting with no load at Voc. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Plowman
    Plowman Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rgearhead wrote: »
    Hi all..... lets say YOUR' system's charge controller fryed, and you switched off the feed from your solar array... now it's going to take you a week to get a new charge controller, So ? will your array be fine, what to do ??
    I let one of my panels sit outside for a few months not hooked up to anything. Works fine.

How did you fry your charge controller? Theoretically, of course :p
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    That assumes silicon based panels. Those toxic CdTe panels can be harmed by sitting with no load at Voc. --vtMaps

Pretty safe assumption on solar_dave's part I'd say. :roll:
  • rgearhead
    Plowman wrote: »
    I let one of my panels sit outside for a few months not hooked up to anything. Works fine.

How did you fry your charge controller? Theoretically, of course :p

I didn't'' lol,,, I want to put up a Grape 250 watt solar panel tomorrow, but wont get trench dug to run wire's to it till during the week..... Just wanted to make sure it was ok to mount it to get it out of the way while i have help to do so .....

thanks Guy's... Hmm there is no solar Gal's'''''
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    rgearhead wrote: »
    I didn't'' lol,,, I want to put up a Grape 250 watt solar panel tomorrow, but wont get trench dug to run wire's to it till during the week..... Just wanted to make sure it was ok to mount it to get it out of the way while i have help to do so .....

thanks Guy's... Hmm there is no solar Gal's'''''
    If this is one of the Grape panels that requires positive ground for proper operation, then leaving the + and - floating might have some short term adverse effect on panel output. But tying the not yet connected positive lead to ground in the meantime would prevent that. Or just running the panel properly connected for a few hours or days.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.