Harvest Efficiency revisited

Options
qwertinsky
qwertinsky Registered Users Posts: 6
I originally discussed harvest efficiency in this thread http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?22987-Please-explain-quot-Harvest-Efficiency-quot

The conclusion I came to is harvest efficiency is a system level measurement and is really not applicable to just the charge controller.

But the marketing guys are pestering me for the charge controllers harvest efficiency, as much as I try to explain it they keep asking for it and say other companies have this in their specifications.

So I propose this as a way to measure or at least estimate harvest efficiency of a charge controller.

Using a solar array simulator I can set panel parameters (Voc, Isc), irradiation (W/M^2), array temperature, and fill factor.
The solar array simulator will generate the curves and give me the array Vmp, Imp, and Wmp.

Now if I was to calculate the potential watt-hours the simulated array could produce over a period of time using Wmp, and then measure the watt-hours of energy delivered to the batteries and dump load, or to a load in place of the batteries to draw full charge current.

Then use the basic formula %harvest efficiency=(Wh-delivered/Wh-array potential)*100

Would that be a reasonable harvest efficiency number?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Re: Harvest Efficiency revisited

It depends on the system/needs/usage... Some of the factors we use as rules of thumbs assuming sea level with typically non-winter conditions:
    • 0.81 solar panel Marketing rating derating
    • 0.95 MPPT controller derating
    • 0.77 MPPT or PWM charge controller+solar panel derating
    • 0.80 typical flooded cell lead acid battery derating
    • 0.90 typical AGM lead acid battery derating
    • 0.85 typical AC inverter derating

So, given X hours of sun per day, the deratings would look like:
    • 0.81 panel * 0.95 MPPT controller * 0.80 battery * 0.85 AC inverter eff = 0.52 typical Off Grid end to end system eff

4 hours of sun * 0.52 OG sys eff * 1,000 Watt array = 2,080 Watt*Hours per day

A Grid Tied (no battery) system will be around 0.77 typical efficiency (solar panel marketing to power to the AC main panel).

Notice that "array potential" should have hours of sun in it... So, the typical array will "see" around 4-6 hours of "noon time equivalent" sun per day--Or 1/6 to 1/4 (0.16 to 0.25) array availability factor.

If you want to compare this to wind turbines where small wind maybe 5% to 15% of name plate and industrial wind farms may be 25% of name plate--local weather/seasonal conditions will vary.

And, you have to take shading (buildings, trees, chimneys, etc.) into account for solar panel shading (solar electric panels perform very poorly when even partially shaded).

Compare this with a genset/utility power station which will run close to 100% availability for days/weeks/months at a time. However, efficiency still depends on loading (lightly loaded power systems waste more "fuel" than those running steady loads near capacity).

What kind of harvest efficiency number are you looking for, and what are you comparing?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • qwertinsky
    qwertinsky Registered Users Posts: 6
    Options

Well to be honest "harvest efficiency" seems like a marketing term to me.

Many of the charge controller literature I have look at say things like "Our MPPT algorithm harvests up to 35% more energy than comparable units", "The innovative MPPT algorithm is both continuous and active, increasing your renewable energy yield up to 30%.".

We are looking for this number, if that makes sense.
  • BB.
    Options

Two issues (that I see).

First, MPPT charge controller only "harvest more" than derated solar panel values in extremely cold weather.

If you live in southern Canada, you probably would see ~10-15% more than a PWM controller (well designed system) in winter (average peak increase).

There is being 35% more efficient... If efficiency of the average MPPT controller is 95% efficient, that is 5% of loss.

0.05 loss * 0.35 improvement = 0.0175 "improvement"

Or

96.75% controller efficiency. This is better, but not a huge improvement for the end user. For the engineer, that is 35% less heat inside the controller that needs to be removed--This is a big help for him (smaller heat sinks/fans, lower operating temperatures for longer life, etc.).

And there are some MPPT algorithms that are better than others... You might see 10-15% difference in overall harvest between a "bad" and a "good" algorithm... (some of the older MPPT controllers did not really actually adjust for optimum Vmp*Imp -- They simply did something like 0.8 * Voc measured. It works, just not the best.

Problem is, it is difficult to get better than 10% accuracy without setting up laboratory test gear and reference panels... $10-$20k minimum.

Good MPPT controllers are going to cost more than with the cheaper ones... Reading reviews and asking questions is usually going to get you "close enough" to optimum to make some good decisions.

Paying 10% more for a controller that gives you 10% more power--May or may not make sense (i.e., how much does 10% more solar panels+mounting cost vs the increased controller cost).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

My understanding is that a typical MPPT controller includes a buck converter and a typical PWM controller doesn't. The difference due to this feature can be huge. For example, 100V panels might be only 15% efficient without it.

To varying degrees, some batteries need high charge currents at some stages and can't accept high current at others stages. So you end up with excess wasted solar panel capacity.

It's not clear to me how these two inefficiencies fit in the above figures.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• BB.
    Options

Technically speaking, all of the US based MPPT charge controllers that I know of are "buck mode" converters--They take higher voltage and down convert it to lower voltage.

The only boost converter solar charger company that I am aware of is Genasun.

http://genasun.com/all-products/solar-charge-controllers/for-lead/gvb-8a-pb-solar-boost-controller/

I am sure there are others--I am not in the solar business and do not watch the industry.

More or less, the "optimum" Vmp voltage for a 12 volt battery bank is ~17.5 to around 18.6 volts. When you add Vmp suppression because of hot cells under direct sun, wiring and controller voltage drop, that Vmp voltage panel will fully/correctly recharge a lead acid battery under most conditions.

If you use a PWM controller with Vmp over that ~18 volts for a lead acid battery, yes, the panel/system efficieny will drop:

PWM eff for 12 volt battery bank ~ Vmp-optimum / Vmp-actual where Vmp-actual is >~17.5 volts

For a 100 volt Vmp-array on a 12 volt battery bank:

Eff ~ 18 volts / 100 volts = ~0.18 eff

For Vmp~18 volt panels on a 12 volt battery bank, there is very little efficiency improvement with a MPPT controller over a PWM controller for ~9 months of the year.

For very cold months in the deep north, you can see around a ~10-15% improvement due to Vmp increase in sub zero weather.

For High Vmp-array arrays--Yes, MPPT controllers are usually the only cost effective solution for charging batteries. However, it is a trade off (cheaper GT panels vs more expensive MPPT controllers).

-Bill
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

System yeild is usually measured as Wh/Wp. (ie Wh/Wp/day, or Wh/Wp/year). So for BB's example:
    4 hours of sun * 0.52 OG sys eff * 1,000 Watt array = 2,080 Watt*Hours per day

That would be 2080Wh/1000Wp. Or 2.08Wh/Wp/day. But that is a kind of acedemic value , at least it has more meaning in a grid tie application. Off grid you tend to waste power. Here on an "average" day sun or shine, we harvest 3000Wh/day on 1800Wp. On sunny days this could go much higher. Yes, we moderate/extend our loads depending on insolation as best we can but much power is still not utelised.

Now your original question relates to controller efficiency, and i beleive that was well dealt with in the earlier thread. Some controllers publish efficiency curves, eg Outback, and using those you could try to model the controllers real world deratings, ie how much of an average day will the controller run at which power percentile, then integrate the percentiles, to produce an overall controller efficiency rating. I know midnite have carried out side by side yeild studys with a datalogger using all the main controllers. Maybe if you asked them nicely they might release the data?

qwertinsky wrote: »
    I originally discussed harvest efficiency in this thread http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?22987-Please-explain-quot-Harvest-Efficiency-quot

The conclusion I came to is harvest efficiency is a system level measurement and is really not applicable to just the charge controller.

But the marketing guys are pestering me for the charge controllers harvest efficiency, as much as I try to explain it they keep asking for it and say other companies have this in their specifications.

So I propose this as a way to measure or at least estimate harvest efficiency of a charge controller.

Using a solar array simulator I can set panel parameters (Voc, Isc), irradiation (W/M^2), array temperature, and fill factor.
    The solar array simulator will generate the curves and give me the array Vmp, Imp, and Wmp.

Now if I was to calculate the potential watt-hours the simulated array could produce over a period of time using Wmp, and then measure the watt-hours of energy delivered to the batteries and dump load, or to a load in place of the batteries to draw full charge current.

Then use the basic formula %harvest efficiency=(Wh-delivered/Wh-array potential)*100

Would that be a reasonable harvest efficiency number?
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options
    qwertinsky wrote: »
    Many of the charge controller literature I have look at say things like "Our MPPT algorithm harvests up to 35% more energy than comparable units", "The innovative MPPT algorithm is both continuous and active, increasing your renewable energy yield up to 30%.".

We are looking for this number, if that makes sense.

If you're just interested in the controller efficiency then the formula you first posted seems reasonable: %harvest efficiency=(Wh-delivered/Wh-array potential)*100

To not be overly misleading you should choose realistic values for "Wh array potential", e.g. if you wanted to arrive at: "Our controller produces upto X% more than PWM controllers", then you should use an array composed of 72 cell modules with Vmp around 36V connected to a 24V battery as comparison. ...and the coldest daytime temperatures.

If you wanted to arrive at: "Our controller produces X% more than pwm throughout the year", then you'd have to adjust for average temperature. Obviously pick a cold place so that your MPPT shows bigger gains.