4 busbar vs 2 Busbar solar panels which one to choose ?

drraptor
drraptor Solar Expert Posts: 218 ✭✭
Is there any real life benefit of 4 busbar design over a 2 busbar ? I mean both Mitsubishi and Canadian Solar produce Panels with 4 busbar

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin
    Re: 4 busbar vs 2 Busbar solar panels which one to choose ?

How does the $$$/Watt pricing look (included delivered to your front door costs).

Much of solar production revolves around $$$/Watt mfg. costs--And warranty costs too should play a part.

1) Do panels have good reliability, 2) Are panels cost effective at your location, 3) Do you need "high efficiency" panels for your limited roof space, 4) Any special features that are worth extra $$$ (what will quad bus bar "buy me")...

If the only difference is ~3% more power... Do the panels cost more $$$/Watt rating? Why should you pay for the extra efficiency if you do not need the smaller panels to fit your roof space?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

my thoughts on this besides the obvious $/w point of view is that if they cut the size of the busbar in half and double the number of bars that its current carrying ability is pretty much the same as the 2 busbar noting that the cell covered area from the busbars would be the same too. now they cut the cells in 2 and the only way to keep the current of the full cells for the pv output is to parallel the output of 2 separate strings inside the junction box. remember any cuts to a cell = lost generating area so they lose in cell area while cutting the resistive losses. imo they are no better for it.
  • drraptor

Thanks, yes it is all about balancing reliability and Cost.

Branded panels in my location can cost as much as $1.0/watt for mono-crystalline if you buy just 1-2 panels, but cost goes down as low as $0.6/watt if you buy in bulk or for large array.
    They offer the warranty as following
    3 years for structural or mechanical defect aka factory issues
    10 years for 90% output.
    While if Import myself, I can get as low as $0.4-0.5/watt for the same brand of solar panels.

Should I prefer American or Japanese or German over Chinese brands ? what if the cost difference is just $0.1 to 0.2/watt ?

I also have the option of local assembled solar panels which cost at about $ 0.95/watt for mono-crystalline. They can assemble custom built panels according to my specifications.
    They offer warranty as following
    5 years for structural or mechanical defect aka factory issues
    25 years for 80% output.

So I'm bit confused by all this.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

25 yr is industry standard for PV panels to 80% of rating.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • niel

you aren't alone in being confused and it is a guessing game as to who is putting in the best quality. one can't even go by name brands either with so many that have gone under. opinions vary, but unless the pvs are really extra cheap from china i would choose any of the others over them. being super cheap can also raise suspicions.

i went name brand that's been around for awhile in the usa. just my 2 cents.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    drraptor wrote: »

I also have the option of local assembled solar panels which cost at about $ 0.95/watt for mono-crystalline. They can assemble custom built panels according to my specifications..

These "local assembled" panels - - are they manufactured by a reputable large company, or is it basically someone building them in his garage?
    "custom built" sounds fishy when it comes to solar panels, unless it's big industry needing a special size and having to pay through the nose for them.
  • BB.

It is a difficult question... Lately, it seems the panels will outlast the companies building them and the importers selling.

What good is a 10-25 year warranty...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    These "local assembled" panels - - are they manufactured by a reputable large company, or is it basically someone building them in his garage?
    "custom built" sounds fishy when it comes to solar panels, unless it's big industry needing a special size and having to pay through the nose for them.

What was that thread back a few months, someone got the panels made from a "local company/guy" and there was something fishy with them. Can't remember it exactly. All I know is that there is no way a person, or even a small local company, can build them cheaper than these huge manufacturers.

EDIT: I think it was the one where the guys roof started on fire maybe?
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • drraptor
    It is proper assembling plant with solar cells sourced from both China and Germany (Q-cell) http://www.q-cells.com/en/products/solar_cells.html#26281
  • drraptor
    westbranch wrote: »
    25 yr is industry standard for PV panels to 80% of rating.
    Yup, but the local importers/ Solar installer don't offer the full warranty, e.g they offer 3 year warranty on Morningstar Tristar PWM charge controller while 5 years on Morningstar Tristar MPPT.

And according to Morningstar they(Local solar installer) are the official distributor in my country.
  • drraptor
    niel wrote: »
    you aren't alone in being confused and it is a guessing game as to who is putting in the best quality. one can't even go by name brands either with so many that have gone under. opinions vary, but unless the pvs are really extra cheap from china i would choose any of the others over them. being super cheap can also raise suspicions.

i went name brand that's been around for awhile in the usa. just my 2 cents.
    jcheil wrote: »
    What was that thread back a few months, someone got the panels made from a "local company/guy" and there was something fishy with them. Can't remember it exactly. All I know is that there is no way a person, or even a small local company, can build them cheaper than these huge manufacturers.

EDIT: I think it was the one where the guys roof started on fire maybe?

So I should go with established brands.
  • drraptor

I don't know I'm allowed or not to mention the brands.
    SolarWorld http://www.solar-electric.com/solarworld-solar-panels.html are ava. @ $1.35 (which might be reduced if I buy in large quantity ) through official Solarworld distributor in my area.
  • BB.

One that I recall are the panels that caught fire:

Panel Fire Question

And there was one person here that had some custom flexible solar panels for his RV, and they did not last very long (less than 2-3 years?)...

Crazy Weird No Volts?

-Bill
  • South Africa
    South Africa Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    So I should go with established brands.

For what it is worth, have a look at Yingli panels: http://www.yinglisolar.com/en/about/contact/

From what I hear their panels are pretty good, better than some German names, at a very nice price per watt. Whats more is that I'am told that apparently if they go out business within 10 years of the panel's life, their is a policy in place to pay out to replace / repair your panel. Must still verify this.
    5kVA Victron Multiplus II, 5.2kW array, 14kWh DIYLifepo4 bank, all grid-tied.

• drraptor
    For what it is worth, have a look at Yingli panels: http://www.yinglisolar.com/en/about/contact/

From what I hear their panels are pretty good, better than some German names, at a very nice price per watt. Whats more is that I'am told that apparently if they go out business within 10 years of the panel's life, their is a policy in place to pay out to replace / repairs your panel. Must still verify this.
    Yes, Yinglisolar's panels are available, but I don't know whether there are any official distributor in my area. Rate is similar to Canadian Solar ~ $0.8-1.0/watt
  • South Africa
    Yes, Yinglisolar's panels are available, but I don't know whether there are any official distributor in my area. Rate is similar to Canadian Solar ~ $0.8-1.0/watt

Interesting how currencies differ, yet have the same value keeping in mind all the costs to get things around the world, different taxes, duties and all that.

$0.8-1.0 = SA Rand R8.36 - R10.46 ... I'm paying R8.20 per watt excluding Value Added Tax of 14%, near as damn to what you are quoted. :-)

• niel

drraptor,
    you must have made a mistake as the 265w solarworlds are at $1.03/w and the 270w solarworlds are about $1.22/w from naws.
  • drraptor

After watching
    I'm pretty impressed with Solarworld build quality. and it translates into the extra cost.
    niel wrote: »
    drraptor,
    you must have made a mistake as the 265w solarworlds are at $1.03/w and the 270w solarworlds are about $1.22/w from naws.
    I will contact them the official distributor today and will confirm the issue.
  • drraptor

Called the Solarworld official distributor. On phone they said Poly crystalline are ava. for $1.4 :grr I will visit them personally to get a better idea.
  • South Africa

Really, REALLY ... who is going to drive on my roof? :-)
    Called the Solarworld official distributor. On phone they said Poly crystalline are ava. for $1.4 :grr I will visit them personally to get a better idea.

That translates to R14.58 for me, which is REALLY expensive. I buy from the manufacturer here and I am looking at R12.85 ($1.23), which is a lot for a per watt.

Seriously, these panels are really good, if you have an environment that needs such panels or do not have insurance, then the price makes sense, for me at least.

• BB.

10 years ago panels were $5 USD per Watt, and I thought panels were finely getting "cheap".

-Bill :roll:
  • niel

i paid $33.33/w about 1980. it seems the pvs are starting to be cheaper than the other aspects of solar like inverters and batteries. those aspects are going up in price while pvs still are going down.
  • drraptor

Contacted the reseller they are giving me a rate of $1.35 for Solarworld. If I buy a large array might get a discount. Right now I'm just researching and comparing. Looking for what is the best deal. ;)

What is differenece btw Solar Insolation and Solar Irradiance ?

Solar Irradiance in my area is 1800 KWh/m2
    while Solar Insolation is given below in the table.

Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day

Jan
    Feb
    Mar
    Apr
    May
    Jun

Jul
    Aug
    Sep
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec

http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

So a panel rated @ Standard Test Conditions (STC) of irradiance of 1000W/m , spectrum AM 1.5 and cell temperature of 25℃.

Will output higher current or voltage in my area ? :confused: And what is the difference btw the thermal characteristics of Polycrystalline and Mono-crystalline.

how does cell temperature affect Voltage and current ? I know extremely low temperature increases the Cells voltage e.g a panel rated at 37.8 will output at ~40V.

Is this calculator any good http://www.sunearthtools.com/solar/payback-photovoltaic.php ?

and will this sun position calculator be of any help http://www.sunearthtools.com/dp/tools/pos_sun.php?lang=en
  • BB.
    while Solar Insolation is given below in the table.

I am not sure where the 1,800 KWh/m2 is coming from.

There are many ways of listing the amount of "sun" you get per day/year, etc...

Your table below:
    Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day

Jan
    Feb
    Mar
    Apr
    May
    Jun

Jul
    Aug
    Sep
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec

http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

Note the "Measured in kWh/m2/day" comment.

Thank makes your numbers (January) 3.25 * 1 kWh/m2/day = 3.25 kWh/m2/day.

We slang that as 3.25 hours of sun per day (3.25 hours of noon-time equivalent sun per day).

So, for San Francisco California (really SFO airport), using PV Watts for a 1 kWatt fixed array with 0.52 off grid efficiency:
    "Station Identification"
    "City:","San_Francisco"
    "State:","California"
    "Lat (deg N):", 37.62
    "Long (deg W):", 122.38
    "Elev (m): ", 5
    "PV System Specifications"
    "DC Rating:"," 1.0 kW"
    "DC to AC Derate Factor:"," 0.520"
    "AC Rating:"," 0.5 kW"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 37.6"
    "Array Azimuth:","180.0"

"Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:","12.5 cents/kWh"

"Results"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)", "AC Energy (kWh)", "Energy Value ($)"
    1, 3.62, 54, 6.75
    2, 4.59, 62, 7.75
    3, 5.22, 79, 9.88
    4, 6.11, 89, 11.12
    5, 6.36, 95, 11.88
    6, 6.47, 94, 11.75
    7, 7.01, 105, 13.12
    8, 6.67, 99, 12.38
    9, 6.62, 95, 11.88
    10, 5.41, 80, 10.00
    11, 3.87, 55, 6.88
    12, 3.35, 50, 6.25
    "Year", 5.45, 958, 119.75

I get 3.62 hours of sun per day (and an average of 54 kWH per month) for January:

3.62 hours of sun * 1,000 Watt array * 0.52 off grid system eff = 1,882 Watts of "average usable" AC power per day

But that is really spread out over 9 hours of the day. Using January 15th hourly output (1966 was the "representative" average day over ~20 years of measurements):
    1966, 1, 15, 08:00, 0
    1966, 1, 15, 09:00, 107
    1966, 1, 15, 10:00, 241
    1966, 1, 15, 11:00, 340
    1966, 1, 15, 12:00, 399
    1966, 1, 15, 13:00, 407
    1966, 1, 15, 14:00, 374
    1966, 1, 15, 15:00, 302
    1966, 1, 15, 16:00, 191
    1966, 1, 15, 17:00, 25
    1966, 1, 15, 18:00, 0

So a panel rated @ Standard Test Conditions (STC) of irradiance of 1000W/m , spectrum AM 1.5 and cell temperature of 25℃.
    Will output higher current or voltage in my area ? :confused: And what is the difference btw the thermal characteristics of Polycrystalline and Mono-crystalline.

More or less, current is proportional to the amount of direct sunlight hitting the array. Very little direct light, very little output current.

Vmp (voltage maximum power) is a combination of minimum sunlight (solar panel needs "week morning or evening direct sun to "hit" Vmp), and at that point Vmp is a function of solar cell temperature. Vmp is rated at STC (standard test condition of ~25C cell temperature). In warm climates, the sun heats up the solar array and causes Vmp to fall (by ~20% drop in very hot/sunny weather).

In sub freezing weather (and below) Vmp-array-cold can exceed Vmp-stc.
    how does cell temperature affect Voltage and current ? I know extremely low temperature increases the Cells voltage e.g a panel rated at 37.8 will output at ~40V.

Technically, Imp-current rises as the temperature increases. And Vmp falls as the temperature increases. Since the Tcoeff for Voltage is about 10x greater than the Tcoeff for Amperes, we tend to "ignore" the effect of cell temperature on panel output current.

And Power Tcoeff is (mostly) driven by the Voltage Tcoeff. Panel power will fall with increasing cell temperature.

It gets more complex because PWM type charge controllers really only "control" panel Imp current--So PWM controllers have little output change with respect to temperature (as long as Vmp>~17.5 volts for a 12 volt battery bank).

MPPT charge controllers are "constant power" down converters... So their maximum output power is affected by panel temperature. Power=V*I, so change in V will give change in available power power.

When designing an off grid solar power system... Your "critical points" are Vmp-array-Hot (minimum voltage needed to charge the battery bank or "run" the GT inverter) and Voc-cold (very cold arrays have high Voc output voltage--which can damage a charge/GT controller).

For a 140-150 volt input MPPT charge controller in a cold climate--A maximum Vmp~100 VDC will give a maximum Voc~140-150 VDC.

Financial models are only as good as your assumptions... In the US, we have a claimed ~1-3% inflation rate--In my life it is over 12% from what I have seen and paid for. Also, wages are not keeping up with inflation.

I personally do not see Solar Power as an investment. It can result in a savings of energy costs (utility power + solar subsidies) or for off grid homes where utility power is very expensive to bring lines out, or simply not available. Subsidies will change over time (there is not utility and PUC push back against GT solar in some locations now). Add that Americans move (at least used to) move once every ~7 years--Will your system give you a good return on investment before you move--And how much would a home buyer pay you for the system.

I know my ~$35k installation would cost around $10k if installed new today... Why would somebody pay >$15k for a 10 year old solar array+AC inverter?
    and will this sun position calculator be of any help http://www.sunearthtools.com/dp/tools/pos_sun.php?lang=en

Probably fine--But you still need a good model for the shading on your array. My guess--Any one panel that is shaded will kill production for that entire solar array string. I have two strings on my GT inverter, shading on one panel will kill array production by ~50% (close enough for solar work).

-Bill
  • drraptor
    came from http://solargis.info/ maps
    e.g this is for USA SolarGIS-Solar-map-DNI-USA-en.png

What I have understood is following table can be interpreted as Average Sunhours/day for that that particular month.

Jan
    Feb
    Mar
    Apr
    May
    Jun

Jul
    Aug
    Sep
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec

But that is really spread out over 9 hours of the day. Using January 15th hourly output (1966 was the "representative" average day over ~20 years of measurements):

1966, 1, 15, 08:00, 0
    1966, 1, 15, 09:00, 107
    1966, 1, 15, 10:00, 241
    1966, 1, 15, 11:00, 340
    1966, 1, 15, 12:00, 399
    1966, 1, 15, 13:00, 407
    1966, 1, 15, 14:00, 374
    1966, 1, 15, 15:00, 302
    1966, 1, 15, 16:00, 191
    1966, 1, 15, 17:00, 25
    1966, 1, 15, 18:00, 0

How can we calculate the total energy produced in KWh from these figures for that day. In physics they taught us Power= V*I while Energy is E=V*I*t now we have a spread of values.
  • ButchDeal
    ButchDeal Solar Expert Posts: 35

keep in mind that "Direct Normal" is just one of the insolation components. You also have indirect, and defuse to add in.
  • BB.

The last column (I am pretty sure) is in average Watts * 1 Hour segments (watts*1hr=Watt*Hours)--Just add all of them up. After all of the deratings

Here is the header for the file:
    "Year", "Month", "Day", "Hour", "AC Power (W)"

==========================
    2,386 total WH per this day (2.386 kWH)

With 1,882 Watts of "average usable" AC power per day (some days more, some less).

Solar is variable--The batteries would give you some ability to shift power 1-2 days--But more than that, you have to reduce optional loads/run a genset during poor weather.

-Bill
  • drraptor
    BB. wrote: »
    The last column (I am pretty sure) is in average Watts * 1 Hour segments (watts*1hr=Watt*Hours)--Just add all of them up. After all of the deratings

Here is the header for the file:

==========================
    2,386 total WH per this day (2.386 kWH)

With 1,882 Watts of "average usable" AC power per day (some days more, some less).

Solar is variable--The batteries would give you some ability to shift power 1-2 days--But more than that, you have to reduce optional loads/run a genset during poor weather.

-Bill

So a 1000W system will produce 2.386KWH for that day.

What should be the method to calculate if we take power reading every half hour ? e.g these values in watts were taken after almost every half hour

• BB.

If those are your average readings for a 1/2 hour, then:

N1 / 2 + N2 / 2 + N3 / 2 ... Or 1/2 (N1 + N2 + N3...)

We are looking at Watts*Hours and each of your Watts reading is 1/2 an hour.

If your values are not 30 minute averages, but just instantaneous averages--The accuracy will probably be much less.

If I understand your question correctly.

-Bill
  • drraptor
    BB. wrote: »
    If those are your average readings for a 1/2 hour, then:

N1 / 2 + N2 / 2 + N3 / 2 ... Or 1/2 (N1 + N2 + N3...)

We are looking at Watts*Hours and each of your Watts reading is 1/2 an hour.

If your values are not 30 minute averages, but just instantaneous averages--The accuracy will probably be much less.

If I understand your question correctly.

-Bill

Yes, so the answer will be 672.42WH or 0.6KWH ?