100w 319v dc rollup panels?

samppa
samppa Registered Users Posts: 20
Hi

I have a chance to buy these for a very cheap price. My need is an off-grid cottage.
Is there any point in buying this? Are there any controllers I could use with this and 12v system?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: 100w 319v dc rollup panels?

Don't waste your money.
    319 Volts? You would have to buy a 600 Volt controller like the XW 600 MPPT 80 - which costs $1,200.

Now, how many regular panels can you buy for $1,200?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

Looks like a lot of them on EBay... Here is one link that hopefully will last longer:

http://www.flexiblesolar.co.uk/

I have concerns with any flexible panel... if they last more than 2-5 years in normal use, I would consider that it a success (in my humble opinion).

That can make sense for emergency portable power applications--But I would suggest staying away from them unless you have a a good reason to need 320 VDC solar panels.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

Looks like they are from Fuji:

http://www.fujielectric.com/company/news/2004/04100101.html

http://www.fujisystems.com/solar-panels

Originally had a 5 year product / 25 year power warranty... May be good panels if you can figure out how to use them. Perhaps you can hack them into smaller panels (if you want to play with them).

But, I wonder if they are just factory closeouts. There does not appear to be any current listings by Fuji for these panels.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭

That's about the peak voltage I would expect in a 220V AC waveform. So you might be able to feed it into an inverter based 220 VAC->12 VDC battery charger (which typically just rectifies the AC anyway and isn't very sensitive to exact voltage). But of course this would require some careful checking and I wouldn't bother unless they were really cheap.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    jonr wrote: »
    That's about the peak voltage I would expect in a 220V AC waveform. So you might be able to feed it into an inverter based 220 VAC->12 VDC battery charger (which typically just rectifies the AC anyway and isn't very sensitive to exact voltage). But of course this would require some careful checking and I wouldn't bother unless they were really cheap.

Most switchers that accept 240VAC will accept up to 370VDC. (Some spec this out as a legal input.) However:

1) There is no power point tracking on such supplies, so they will collapse the panel voltage unless the panel's power is greater than that of the max power (caused by output current limit) of the supply.

2) At 320 volts, >370 volts during colder temps (depending on temp coefficient) would not be impossible.