String Problem

drraptor
drraptor Solar Expert Posts: 218 ✭✭
I have got a EPsolar Tracer-3215RN attached to a 12V 170AH battery. Solar panel is a 150W polycrystalline panel.

Tracer 3215RN supports 390W with max VOC of 150V on 12V battery bank.

Now I want to add more panels to this system, can I add mono-crystalline panels to this setup ?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: String Problem

It will not matter what kind of panels you add, only what the specifications are.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

Poly and Mono crystalline panels have about the same electrical/solar characteristics. The big difference is a 150 Watt Mono panel can be a bit smaller than a 150 Watt Poly panel (mono panels are slightly more efficient at collecting solar energy).

To connect panels in parallel, the Vmp ratings should be within ~10% (and for a 12 volt battery bank, Vmp-array should be >~17.5 volts minimum).

To connect panels in series, the Imp rating for each string should be within ~10%.

If you have (for example) a 150 Watt mono panel with Vmp~18.6 volts/8.06 amps and want to add some 140 Watt Vmp~17.5 volt/8.00 amps poly crystalline panels--You can mix and match the panels in series/parallel without problems.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • drraptor

I want to maximally utilize the charge controller, so can I connect for total string of 400W ? how can I calculate whether two Imp are within ~10% of each other ?

Which brand of panels I should choose ?
    Or any other brand.
  • BB.

If you have an 8 amp Imp panel... then you can connect in series a second 7.2 to 8.8 panel and still get "near optimum" performance (8 amps + or - 10%).

What you should not do is mix 7.2, 8.0, and 8.8 panels in series... 7.2 amp for low and 8.8 amp for high Imp panels are more than 10% apart.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • drraptor

Thanks if e.g I have a panel with Imp 6A I will need panels which have Imp within the range of 5.4-6.6 A.
  • drraptor

what are the disadvantages of not using a panels with Imp within +/-10% of each other ? will small panel will act as a load ?
  • BB.

Just to be clear, that is the range of a single model of panel that you can pick. But you should not mix three or more models in the 5.4 to 6.6 amp range-Because the high/low panels are more than 10% apart.

Of course, you have to do the series/parallel configuration of your array too and make sure that they meet the input limits of the charge controller (i.e., for a 150 VDC input charge controller, Vmp-array>~100 VDC gets dicey in climates with cold winters (Voc-cold of the array could exceed 150 VDC).

And if you parallel panels or strings of panels, the same 10% range rule would apply too (some folks believe that 5% range is better--But the question "is it worth limiting your choices of panels" or not?).

The closer you match, the less miss-match you have and the array will be slightly more efficient. But if you can get 10% match panels for 1/2 the price of 5% panels (to match your existing system), then limiting yourself to 5% match may not be worth it.

Also, it goes to the question of even keeping your existing panel(s)... If you can match 140 Watt panels at $280 per panel (~$2/Watt) or you can get other panels (that do not match at all, and you have throw away or sell your older panels) at $280 per 240 Watt panel (i.e., ~$1 per Watt for GT designed panels)--Then it may be more cost effective to simply start over with a new array--Especially if you already have a good MPPT charge controller of the right capacity.

Do a couple costed paper designs and see which works out best for you. Remember to include shipping to your front door (or pick up location) for your solar panels. Shipping is not cheap, especially if you are getting only a few panels at a time (vs an entire pallet load).

Check with local solar installers and see if you can get large format GT panels from them at a good price (as an example).

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    drraptor wrote: »
    what are the disadvantages of not using a panels with Imp within +/-10% of each other ? will small panel will act as a load ?

If you put the panels in series the current will be limited to the lower number.
    If you put the panels in parallel the current simply adds up, providing the Vmp is close.
  • drraptor

Thanks. do I have to look at the Imp at STC or NOCT (aka RTP) ? Bcz candian solar mentions both http://www.canadiansolar.com/down/en/MaxPower_CS6X-P_en.pdf
  • BB.

More or less, you are limited to the maximum current of the weakest link.

If you have a car battery in series with motor cycle battery, 12+12 will give you a 24 volt battery bus. However, the maximum current available will be limited to that of the motor cycle battery.

Same thing with Solar Panels--They are (for a first approximation) "current source devices". If you have three panels in series, the string current will be limited to the amount of current available from the lowest rated panel.

So if you have two 10 amp panels and one 5 amp panel in series for a 3xVmp array voltage, the string will have a maximum output of ~5 amps at Vmp-array.

There are other local maximums... You may have another maximum at ~2xVmp where you can get 10 amps from the string. However, you now have 10 amps flowing through a 5 amp rated panel. The 5 amp panel will contribute zero voltage (you may even have a 1-2 volt drop), but you also risk the possibility of damage/fire to the panel because you are pumping 2x the amount of rated current through it.

And because Power= *2R, then doubling the current means 4x the heat--And possible melting of insulation and/or solder.

The "take home" on this--There is no good reason to have a big miss-match on Imp current, and lots of good safety and usability reason to not exceed a panels Imp/Isc ratings (or least exceed them by 10%). Over time/temperature/manufacturing variations, panels will have a +/- 5% to 10% variation in Vmp/Imp among panels anyway.

-Bill
  • BB.

You look at the same thing for all panels. I.e., mix/match Vmp/Imp for STC of all panels (not some panel PTC ratings).

However, when you look at actual power output, the PTC (or similar) ratings are usually more accurate for a typical installation (in a warm climate) for most people.

We use lots of rules of thumbs around here to give "real" numbers (not marketing numbers) for system performance. That is why we use 0.77 derating for solar panels+charge controllers and 0.52 derating for end to end system performance (as well as ~4 hours of sun as a beginning estimate--it is close enough for 80% of the people asking their initial questions).

For example:
    • 1,400 Watt solar array * 0.77 panel+controller derating = 1,078 Watts average peak over the year (will only exceed a few times a year, or in sub freezing weather)

And for an off grid system:
    • 1,400 Watt array * 0.52 system derating * 4 hours min sun for ~9 months of the year = 2,912 Watt*Hours typical minimum energy for ~9 months of the year (not winter)

Use a generator for poor weather/winter operations.

These rules of thumb will get you to within ~10% of an "optimum system"... and, frankly, any performance predictions are within 10% or so anyway. Between variablity in weather (year over year) and errors in measurements (voltage, current, losses), etc... It is just easier to "round" up by ~10% (if you have a choice, pick the slightly larger battery, solar panel, array, etc.).

You can "play with the numbers" if needed. AGM batteries are ~10% more efficient than flooded cell. If you use power during the day and not much at night, you do have (almost) no battery losses, etc.

At least, you will meet your minimum requirements.

I/we also do this because as the system ages, panels lose a bit of output, dust on panels, batteries become slightly less efficient, you add a few more loads to the system, etc... We want the system to still meet your requirements 8 years down the road when the battery bank is on its last legs, etc.

-Bill
  • drraptor

In terms of charging what is the optimum charging current for a 135Ah flooded battery ?

Which type of battery is recommended ? AGM, Gel or flooded ?

Isn't 24V more efficient than 12V system ?
  • BB.

Our rule of thumb is 5% to 13% of the battery bank's 20 Hour rated capacity:

10% of 135 AH = 13.5 Amp charging "nominal".

5% is the minimum we ever recommend for a deep cycle battery system. And 13% is about the maximum "cost effective" solar array for most folks. You can go higher, it just usually does not make economic sense.

Deep cycle flooded cell lead acid batteries are the cheapest. AGM are ~2x more expensive, very clean, high surge current, efficient, possibly easier to damage by over charging, and may last 1-2 years less than similar flooded cell.

GEL--Don't use these for solar. In general, they have a 5% maximum charging current. If you are outside the US (Europe), you may have access to GEL batteries that do not have the 5% maximum charging current--Those might work very well for solar.

Picking 12/24/48 volt battery bus... Start with your loads. The more kWH per day you use (and or higher wattage loads/charging), typically the higher battery voltage you need.

As a starting point, 1,200-2,000 watt AC inverter, about the maximum a 12 volt system will support. Around 2,400 to 4,000 Watt AC inverter, about the maximum a 24 volt system will support. Over ~2,400 Watts, you should really consider a 48 volt battery bank. And similar questions about battery AH capacity and size of charge controllers (i.e., 60 amp charge controller will work for 12-48 volt battery bank, but will supply 2x or 4x the 12 volt wattage on higher voltage battery banks--save money on charge controllers for larger systems).

Sometimes, you have to do a paper design of several systems and see which works best for you and the over all costs. It is not really a black/white type of answer.

The is the "short answer".

-Bill
  • drraptor

The current being drawn from my battery at max load is usually 26A. So for a 24V system what size of battery I should use, for longest possible battery life. and what should be the optimum charging current for that system ?
  • BB.

Can you tell us a bit more about your loads? How many hours per day at what average current (i.e., 10 hours * 20 amps = 200 AH @ 24 volts).

Summer/winter, hours of sun per day?

And what is the AH capacity of your battery bank? Battery type is Flooded Cell, AGM, ?

And how big of solar array do you plan/want to install?

-Bill
  • drraptor

total load is around 350W. 8 hours at 26 amp for summer. reduced to 5 hours at 10amp for winter.

12V at 170AH flooded.

I'm charging the battery using both the Grid and Solar panels.

Charger supports max of 780W in 24V system.
  • Cariboocoot
    total load is around 350W. 8 hours at 26 amp for summer. reduced to 5 hours at 10amp for winter.

12V at 170AH flooded.

I'm charging the battery using both the Grid and Solar panels.

Charger supports max of 780W in 24V system.

350 Watts is 14.5 Amps @ 24 Volts. If you need that for 8 hours that's 2800 Watt hours, which is quite a lot. You're realistically looking at over 450 Amp hours @ 24 Volts to supply that much.

Some accommodation can be made for loads during sun hours when you can utilize power 'direct' from the panels.

So minimalist system would be like two strings of four GC2's for 440 Amp hours @ 24 Volts and about 1400 Watts of panel on an MPPT controller.

I don't see these power requirements being met by a 12 Volt system practically, nor by a controller that will only handle 780 Watts on 24 Volts (20 Amps?). If you multiply out 780 by 4 hours of good sun and factor in end-to-end efficiency you get a dismal 1600 Watt hours.
  • drraptor

Can I combine CS6P-255M with my current panel ? http://www.canadiansolar.com/down/en/CS6P-M_en.pdf or a CS6P-260M http://www.canadiansolar.com/down/en/Quartech_CS6P-M_en.pdf ?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure you can ! If it works well, I don't know. combined in series or in parallel? Will it fry whatever controller you hook it to? Don't know.

posting the actual data of your :
    existing gear
    proposed gear
    saves us a lot of guessing.

My old laptop has to reboot before it can load the new bloated acrobat viewer, so I don't do pdfs unless I HAVE to.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    mike95490 wrote: »
    My old laptop has to reboot before it can load the new bloated acrobat viewer, so I don't do pdfs unless I HAVE to.

I have this same problem and have given up on PDF as a result. All these 'upgrades' are designed to sell us new hardware; none of it ever works any better, and certainly not faster. :p
  • drraptor

VOC 21.6
    ISC 6.43
    Vmp 17.2
    Imp 5.81
  • Cariboocoot
    VOC 21.6
    ISC 6.43
    Vmp 17.2
    Imp 5.81

Basically you can parallel to that any panel that has a Vmp from 17 to 18 without any significant power difference.

In series the Imp has to be 5.5 to 6.1 to be viable, and remember the current in the string will be limited to the lowest number. So if you have a panel with identical Vmp of 17.2 but and Imp of 6.1 (105 Watts if there were such a thing) it would put out the same (17.2 * 5.8 ) 100 Watts.

A KD 140 for example has a Vmp of 17.7 and Imp of 7.9. In parallel with the DM panel there would be no problem. In series the KD would be restricted to 5.8 Amps: 103 Watts, a loss of 37 potential Watts.