Damn Lost a string!

solar_dave
solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
I noticed the last couple of days the peak output is off about 10-12%. So at noon today I looked at the inverter display, sure enough one was producing substantially more watts, about 1 string worth.

I guess I need to find an electrician that can climb into that attic and check at the combiner/DC side. With my bad knees and shot ankle I am lucky to get up a couple ladder steps let alone on the roof if need be.

Comments

• DanS26
    DanS26 Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    Re: Damn Lost a string!
    solar_dave wrote: »
    I noticed the last couple of days the peak output is off about 10-12%. So at noon today I looked at the inverter display, sure enough one was producing substantially more watts, about 1 string worth.

I guess I need to find an electrician that can climb into that attic and check at the combiner/DC side. With my bad knees and shot ankle I am lucky to get up a couple ladder steps let alone on the roof if need be.

Don't be so hasty faulting the array. Could be a faulty stage in your grid tied inverter. Same symptoms.
    23.16kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED Pro System monitoring
  • solar_dave
    DanS26 wrote: »
    Don't be so hasty faulting the array. Could be a faulty stage in your grid tied inverter. Same symptoms.

Nope I was right, blown 8 amp fuse in the combiner. The original installers used two 10 amp fuses and six 8 amp fuses in the combiner box. The 8 amp fuses are cutting it pretty close so had all the 8 amp ones replaced with 10 amp fuses. Production is now back inline. It only cost me $150 to get him to crawl up into that attic and check them. :cry: I wish I could have done it myself.:blush:
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Nope I was right, blown 8 amp fuse in the combiner. The original installers used two 10 amp fuses and six 8 amp fuses in the combiner box. The 8 amp fuses are cutting it pretty close so had all the 8 amp ones replaced with 10 amp fuses. Production is now back inline. It only cost me $150 to get him to crawl up into that attic and check them. :cry: I wish I could have done it myself.:blush:

This counts as "wrong part used". :p
  • solar_dave
    This counts as "wrong part used". :p

The Coot is now a seer! LOL so true that! :D:D:D

That never happens, really just lazyness, I bet they only had 2 10 amp ones and a fist full of 8 amp ones, well it held for almost 4 years.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

Good to hear you got it fixed and back up to full output. Sounds like installer just used what was in his pocket at the time?
    need to use the correct parts as spec'd out.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • DanS26

There's a reason that 8 amp fuse blew.....and I would be willing to bet that the new 10 amp fuse will blow soon....just saying.....
    23.16kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED Pro System monitoring
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

If it blows 10 amp then should be able to find brown/black spot on panel or where bare chaffed or chewed wire touching metal on frame!
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • solar_dave
    There's a reason that 8 amp fuse blew.....and I would be willing to bet that the new 10 amp fuse will blow soon....just saying.....

Well we shall see, the electrician could find nothing really wrong with any of the wiring. Doesn't mean there isn't anything but the 8 amp fuse held for 4+ years. Wonder if those fuses are rated at 40C? The day it happened was our first 100F day and that attic gets way above that.
  • Cariboocoot

What's the Isc of the panels? If it's anywhere between 7 and 8 then it's amazing the 8 Amp fuses held that long.
  • solar_dave
    What's the Isc of the panels? If it's anywhere between 7 and 8 then it's amazing the 8 Amp fuses held that long.

well the Canadian solar 180 are 6.98 amps so there ya go! the Ningbo electric modules are less slightly.
  • Cariboocoot
    well the Canadian solar 180 are 6.98 amps so there ya go! the Ningbo electric modules are less slightly.

If we apply the NEC 25% over rule you get (6.98 * 1.25) 8.725. One good day of extra irradiation - fuse blows.
  • solar_dave
    If we apply the NEC 25% over rule you get (6.98 * 1.25) 8.725. One good day of extra irradiation - fuse blows.

Well this is the peak output months now, April is usually still fairly cool, we did have a very sunny, windy and cool day recently as well. This is the time of year for almost perpendicular irradiation as well.
  • DanS26

Well Dave, just wondering if that 10amp fuse has blown yet.........
  • solar_dave
    Well Dave, just wondering if that 10amp fuse has blown yet.........

Nope is working great!