morningstar ts-mppt-45

Options
louielouie
louielouie Registered Users Posts: 18
i was going to call this post, making this harder than it really is.
i just got a TS-MPPT-45 charge controller.
i read through the manual a couple of times and pretty much have it all in hand.
except.
on page 18 of the manual is the adjustment setting of the internal dip switches.
i can't grasp what the settings of switches 2 & 3 are telling me.
my solar array is going to be two 24V panels in series. 48V.
my battery bank is 12V.
can someone briefly tell me what these settings should be & why?
thanks.

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: morningstar ts-mppt-45

Hello "louielouie", welcome to the form.
    Re the switches you are asking about:
    They are for setting the controller to the voltage of your battery bank.
    If both switches are "off", the controller should automatically detect battery system voltage on initial startup.
    However, you can manually set the controller to know in advance, and at all times, thus eliminating possible errors.
    Since your battery system is 12 volts, set switch #2 "OFF", and switch #3 "ON".
  • louielouie
    Options

let me respond with a more comical inquiry than my previous question.
    how does the morningstar "know" that my solar system is 48V?
    if the answer is, it just does, that's good enough for me.
    where i'm going with this is, i get so much sun in the summer i was only going to use one panel, 24V.
    when winter rolls around, plug in the second panel, 48V.
    this is going to be on a weekend cabin. there may be two/three weeks of charge with no consumption.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

The MPPT controller "cares" about battery bank voltage... If you connect a 12 volt bank, the first start up voltage will be ~11-16 volts... So they assume "12 volt" battery. If you connect to a "dead" 24 volt bank, then the controller may falsely assume 12 volt bank, etc... It needs to know what voltage to charge the battery bank to. If you set it manual to XX volts--That is fine too. You will only need to change the setting if the bank voltage changes/controller is swapped out.

On the solar array size, the MPPT controller "sweeps" the current from (for example) zero to 100% current (every x minutes) trying to find Pmax=Vmp*Imp solution... If you change the array to two in series, the next sweep will simply find a "new" Vmp-array setting to use for the next x minutes (as long as Vmp/Imp are withing the capabilities of the controller).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

"louielouie", please note: switches #2 and #3 are for setting BATTERY voltage only, and have nothing to do with PV voltage.
    Your battery bank is 12 volts, therefore you have a 12 volt system. Your panels, regardless of their voltages, feed power into your 12 volt system. At least they will try to.
  • louielouie
    Options

gotcha.
    thanks.
  • louielouie
    Options

i'm back, with another question about my morningstar mppt.
    i have a single Kyocera KD245GX-LFB pv.
    after reading more about my charge controller, and reading other comments in this forum, i've got this question:
    if i "point"/"re-position" my single pv "at" the sun during the day.
    morning.
    mid-day.
    afternoon.
    is it going to confuse my mppt on days that i don't "point" the pv at the sun?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

it doesn't think to get confused. if the pvs are not aimed optimally then you will get less power generated. it's basically pretty simple. now if you are asking if changing the direction while operating will goof it up, the answer is no. if you go to aim better the power increases and if you aimed it worse then the power decreases.
  • louielouie
    Options

let me change directions if i may.
    i recently purchased a MidNite Solar 150VDC Panel Mount DC Circuit Breakers.
    the model number isn't important. i don't think. but it is a MNEDC50.
    my question is, are these breakers direction sensitive?
    i.e., i installed one of these between my charge controller and battery bank, for isolation as well as safety.
    so does the bottom lug go to the battery bank?
    does the top lug go to the battery bank?
    does it matter.
    i've looked at material at NAWS and tried looking at midnite's site as well.

http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=197&productCatName=Components%20-%20Breakers&productCat_ID=16&sortOrder=11
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, the breakers are direction sensitive. Connect the Line (or +) side of the breaker to the battery Positive, and the load (or -) side of the breaker to the inverter or charge controller. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • louielouie
    Options

ok.
    poor wording on my part.
    what i should have said in my original inquiry regarding the breaker, is that there is no (+) or (-) indicated on the breaker.
    there is this indication on the smaller amperage breakers that use the clamp, but this is the one with the lugs on the back.
    there is no indication. i looked. twice. had my glasses on as well.
    the way i installed it, was similar to the breaker that does have the indication on it. using the toggle switch as the point of reference.
    down is the off position, and the bottom lug/clamp is the (+) connection.
    sort of a monkey see/do type of thingy.
    in this manner, it is the way --vtmaps-- indicated in his reply.
  • vtmaps
    Options

Louie, my often faulty recollection is that the battery positive goes to the bottom lug on the MNEDC breakers. If you can't find a + or - marking, is there a 'line' or 'load' marking? If so, the 'line' is + and goes to battery positive.

Midnite has best in industry tech support. Ask your question by phone, email, or on their forum. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • louielouie
    Options

this is a panel question.
    how can i clean my pv?
    here in okieland we get a lot of dust.
    can i clean my pv with water and a squeegee?
    my pv are kyocera KD235GX-LPB.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    louielouie wrote: »
    this is a panel question.
    how can i clean my pv?
    here in okieland we get a lot of dust.
    can i clean my pv with water and a squeegee?
    my pv are kyocera KD235GX-LPB.

You sure can.
    But remember that the surface may be easily scratched, do not blast water at high pressure, and do not use harsh chemicals.

One panel manufacturer recommends pouring distilled water, about a quart at a time, from the top of the panel. and then gently using a squeegee. I don't think many people go that far.
    But do not wash them while hot and in full sun.
    Do not use really hard water if you are going to let them air dry instead of using a squeegee.
    You will get varying opinions about whether to use a soft brush or not. I would consider that a last resort only if straight water left a dirt residue after the squeegee.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • vtmaps
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    One panel manufacturer recommends pouring distilled water, about a quart at a time, from the top of the panel. and then gently using a squeegee. I don't think many people go that far.

I wash my panels (and my car and my patio) only with distilled water. Anything other than rain is too much of a bother.

--vtMaps
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I wash my panels (and my car and my patio) only with distilled water. Anything other than rain is too much of a bother.

--vtMaps

In Oklahoma, there may be a lot of dust between rains. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

It's glass and aluminium; treat it as such.
    On those occasions when something does stick to it (like the nasty cottonwood) I use glass cleaner to get the stuck-on bits off. No problem.
    Distilled water is overkill. If you have hard water use some 'jet dry' in a rinse to keep spots from forming.

On the whole, panel cleaning is not the major maintenance nightmare some would have you believe it to be.
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm in Oklahoma, and there can be a lot of dust *in* the rain, as short at it lasts oftentimes... ;)

I can tell when my panels are getting dusty. Peak power production drops noticeably. I don't do anything fancy to clean them, just go out and grab the hose with spray nozzle. Standing on the ground I can spray water in the air over the panels, and let it just "rain down" on them. Washes the dust right off. Of course any bird poo or other sticky stuff might require a bit more work but I've only actually gotten up on the roof once - and not sure that was even necessary.

I *normally* wait and do this the next morning after I notice the power drop. Worried about hitting hot panels with cold water. I have once just sprayed them anyway at midday and no damage occurred. I was watching my system on an ipad when I did it, the power rise was fun to watch as cleaning progressed! :cool:

Fortunately, mother nature cleaned the panels for me yesterday. 1.2" of rain! Of course the tradeoff was heavy overcast that killed my production - the CC was even sleeping almost two hours around noon!
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

joe,
    don't forget that the water is cooling off the pvs too so that will increase it a tad as well.
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

Oh, absolutely. I normally see 1700-1800W at midday on hot days like that one was (over 100F outside). I went to clean off the panels because I was only getting about 1200W with a heavy load (9000 BTU mini-split). During and for a short time after washing the panels off I saw nearly 2200W from the panels! :cool: