setting absorb and end amps ??

shockman
shockman Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭
Okay after figuring out how important absorb time is, I would like to now figure out how to set end amps? several weeks ago I knocked back my ab time to 2 hrs thinking now that I have more sun I may overcharge, but found my SG was not coming up to desiered level so set it back to 3 hrs and SG was coming up to 1.260-1.270, very good I thought! Now I have 45-50amps coming in and SG is 1.255, should go into ab soon, supposed to get cloudy by noonish, should have good enough power for the next 4-5hrs. How do I set end amps? and is that what I should do to contol ab time??
Marc
4x240w panels,Classic 150 CC, 4x380AHR L16's, antique Trace 12V inverter

Comments

• shockman
    Re: setting absorb and end amps ??

just gone into ab at 15V and 38 amp according to classic
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

Do you have the Wizbang Junior shunt kit for the Midnite charge controllers?

Anyway, the end current is going to be the point at which a battery charging at the correct absorb voltage (around 14.2 to 14.8 volts or so at ~77F and based on battery chemistry) when the falling charging current falls no more... Typically this can be 1% of the C20 rate of charge... It can be as low as 0.1% for AGM/New flooded cell batteries... Or it can be as high as 2% for "old/about to fail" flooded cell fork lift type batteries.

Since you are getting reasonable S.G. readings--Let them tell you what is working. Start at 1% cutoff and see what happens. Personally, I do not like to "gas" a battery bank very much--Just enough to get some electrolyte stirring/clean out the pores on the plates, use enough water to need refilling every 2 months of so (when cycling).

And adjust/bracket the end amps as needed (less charging, go up to 1.5% cutoff. More charging, go to 0.5% end amps, etc...

From what one battery vendor said, and putting together various other rules of thumbs and practical limitations for a battery bank system--If your battery charging current never falls below 2% rate of charge--It is time to change out the bank.

On the practical side, you are losing too much energy to the failing battery bank. On the safety side, you could be looking at a cell/battery overheating and eventually catching fire.

Of cource, to measure the end amps, you either need an integrated battery shunt like the Wizbang Jr. (plus an external shunt) for the Midnite family (Outback may have their own product--I am not sure), or you need to know that you have no loads on the battery so the controller can measure "ending amps" correctly.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • shockman

no don't have wizamabobit!! does that mean I should not tackle end amps setting?? batts are 8 months old and do have some load on them
  • BB.

If you have loads--If they are steady state (say 5 amps), then you can add that to the ending amps.

But since you have a Midnite Classic 150--All you need is the Wizbang board, a shunt, and some wiring to do "accurate" end amp measurements. I believe it also gives a Battery Monitor function to the Classic controller too--Without buying a separate battery monitor.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • shockman

Okay I shut the batt to inv. switch off and amps dropped from 13 to 9, sg is 1.260-1.265, will have to turn back on soon cause this laptop batt is pooched :))
  • shockman

am I waiting to see the SG I want and see what amps are???
  • BB.

Is your battery bank 4x 6 volt @ 380 AH batteries in series/parallel for a 760 AH @ 12 volt battery bank?

That would indicate that we would be looking at ~7 amps @ 14.1 to 14.8 (generic absorb voltage--probably closer to 14.8 volts or so absorb voltage @ ~77F would be a good value).

But these are guesses on my part--Hopefully somebody with more experience can help you with details from their installations.

-Bill
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

shockman,

Have used CC EA for the past 8+ years, and it has worked fine -- started with the OB MX-60s, and then, a couple of years ago with Classics.

If your inverter loads are fairly constant CC EA is a fine approach. The inverter loads will be seen by the CC, and will result in the CC EA value being somewhat higher than with a Shunt monitor/control device like the MN WBjr.

BUT, as shown in BB Bill's link, the WBjr is very inexpensive, and just requires a good quality Shunt like this one:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/mkb-500-50.html

Shunts are often included in MN e-panels and the like from other manufacturers of inverter conduit boxes, etc.

The correct EA value for the Flooded banks here -- Surrette 4KS25s -- is very close to 1.0% of 20 Hr Capacity. With the WBjr it is about 0.93% of C (yea some false precision there) with very reasonable (not excessive) Vabs .

Your noted Vabs of 15 V seems a bit hot to me if that is the SETTING for it in the CC Charger, and not the temp comped V read on the CC Status screen, with cool batteries. There is no problem with this Vabs at all, it appears that this is what is required to maintain the SGs at the recommended nominal values. But this value MIGHT mean that the WBjr EA setting would need to be a smidge higher. You never know, every battery set is a bit different, with different manufacturers, nominal SG, environment and use patterns.

Hope that you will be able to get the WBjr and shunt (if you do not now have one), as this is a very inexpensive addition, and is a precision monitor device that MidNite continues to improve via FirmWare Updates.

My opinions, Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • shockman
    BB. wrote: »
    Is your battery bank 4x 6 volt @ 380 AH batteries in series/parallel for a 720 AH @ 12 volt battery bank?

That would indicate that we would be looking at ~7 amps @ 14.1 to 14.8 (generic absorb voltage--probably closer to 14.8 volts or so absorb voltage @ ~77F would be a good value).

But these are guesses on my part--Hopefully somebody with more experience can help you with details from their installations.

-Bill

Yup 4 6's s/p for 760 a/hr
    Sg now evening out on several cells at 1.265 and controller fluctuating around 6amps
  • BB.

It is a balancing game here... EA, Charging Voltage, Time, Temperature, Specific Gravity, etc...

In my humble opinion, don't try for 100% SOC everyday... >90% every few days is fine (every day is OK too). You don't want to over gas/over heat the batteries--Both are hard on the long term life.

There are other ways of doing charging too... Run ~50% to 80% SOC daily, and >90% (or ~100% if you want) every 7-10 days or so (I think it was Surrette that said you can even run a 28 Day cycle). My understanding is that as long as you are daily cycling the battery bank, they will not sulfate (or at least sulfate any faster) under normal use. Take them full every ~1 week to clean out the plates, mix the electrolyte. Do not store the batteries below ~75% SOC (sulfation). And cycling 50-80% is much more efficient charging (less gassing, less water use, cooler batteries, etc.).

Others here have their own "formula" that work well for them (Marc/Cariboocoot, likes 100% SOC charging as an end point--I think).

You read enough about lead acid batteries--And you will convince yourself they do not work for off grid solar... But they do (get the right brand/model for the job). The wrong Lead Acid batteries (non-deep cycle, some industrial duty batteries, GEL, and such), will not (usually) work well.

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

You probably won't always get 100% SOC every day even if you target it, Bill. Variations in usage and recharging inevitably affect the results. The targets are based on good, sunny days and average use - two things which don't always happen. I just think that if you shoot for ~90% SOC you may end up being disappointed with days of less than adequate charging.

So you have the combination of maxim Absorb time in hours in case End Amps is never reached, the Bulk/Absorb timer (Outback ad MidNite controllers) which lengthens Absorb time according to how long Bulk takes but does not exceed maximum Absorb time, and End Amps setting of ~2% battery capacity + constant loads to terminate Absorb before either of the time outs is reached if conditions warrant.

Simple. Not. Hence the invention of the WhizBand Jr., which still needs to be programmed with battery capacity and efficiency curve but certainly works better than the other methods.
  • Vic

Have been using the MidNite WBjr since November. The programming allowing the WB to end Absorb on Shunt EA requires only that EA setting -- battery C and efficiency values do not need to be set for EA Absorb termination.

Have been running the Classic at one location to Skip Bulk for two days and try to fully recharge on the third day, and then back to skipping two. This has worked well through the Winter, but with all of the PVs set to Lat + 15 degrees, Summer brings added A/C loads (in the power room), with diminished Solar output and that power peaks fairly late ... so will either need to add more PV that is elevated at a lower angle, or perhaps not skipping days at all from June, into August, sometime.

A different location has Classics set to Skip four days twix Bulks, which works so far ...
    This day-skipping may require a bit higher Vabs than would a full recharge every day.

And, agree that not fully recharging often will require somewhat more EQing.

This is all a bit experimental, BUT more PV always seems better.

EDIT: OH, and am almost certain that the MidNite Classic no longer has the ability to make the Absorb stage the same length that the Bulk was. This has always seemed to me to be asking for trouble, because Bulk can be extended to clouds, etc, and possibly cause the Absorb stage to run too long. EA has always worked quite well here, even based on CC amps -- before the advent of the MN WB ... Opinions ...

FWIW, but, the MN WBjr is a very worthwhile addition. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Vic wrote: »
    EDIT: OH, and am almost certain that the MidNite Classic no longer has the ability to make the Absorb stage the same length that the Bulk was. This has always seemed to me to be asking for trouble, because Bulk can be extended to clouds, etc, and possibly cause the Absorb stage to run too long. EA has always worked quite well here, even based on CC amps -- before the advent of the MN WB ... Opinions ...

True, but that is why there is both maximum Absorb time and End Amps; to keep the Bulk timer from running too long.
    We've fought so long to get the SOC control and now MidNite has it, so that ought to make things better for everyone (who can afford one). Makes the competition look poor indeed.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

While it wont help the OP, midnite have just announced that all new full classics will ship with a free WBJr.

Need any more reasons to go classic?
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• verdigo
    verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭

My Classic already does end amps for absorb. What else does the WBJr do?
  • shockman

Why can I not find the WhizBand Jr on NAWS site??? found the shunt as tagged on this tread but cant find WBJ?? am I missing something??
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    verdigo wrote: »

But it measures amps at the controller NOT going into the battery bank! So any loads are not taken into account.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shockman wrote: »
    Why can I not find the WhizBand Jr on NAWS site??? found the shunt as tagged on this tread but cant find WBJ?? am I missing something??

They need to add some extra meta files to the link for searches. And add to the classics page, Midnite page, I figured they hadn't stocked it yet and purchased else where, but they do, at least now after the web site 'revamp'.

http://www.solar-electric.com/midnite-solar-whiz-bang-jr-current-sense-module.html
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • shockman
    Photowhit wrote: »
    They need to add some extra meta files to the link for searches. And add to the classics page, Midnite page, I figured they hadn't stocked it yet and purchased else where, but they do, at least now after the web site 'revamp'.

http://www.solar-electric.com/midnite-solar-whiz-bang-jr-current-sense-module.html

"Thank You Thank You very much" :>))
  • Vic
    verdigo wrote: »

Hi verdigo,

But the WBjr adds a number of battery monitoring functions (it is NOT a full Battery Monitor YET), which can be very useful. And, at $45.00-ish it is a great value. Its ability to measure actual battery CHARGE current, means that the Classic can be much more accurate in determining just when to end Absorb, without inverter loads being a potentially unknown factor.

WBjr, manual for those who have not seen it:
    http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/Whizbang_manual.pdf

The Classic and its Firmware controls the WB. The added functionality for the WB comes from the Classic FW updates, at least at this point. As such, the WB manual may not describe ALL that the WB + Classic team does in the way of monitoring and adjusting the SOC functions (etc) and the data that comes out of the Classic and applications that communicate with the Classic (as I read it).

Have used CC EA for nine years here, but without the Shunt-based battery charge current measurement, we needed to be careful to not set the A/C (and other larger loads) that keeps the batteries and power electronics cool to a high-ish temperature to make sure that it would cycle off every few minutes (due to the load current as seen by the CC). So this $44. item allows setting the A/C at its lowest temp, and my batteries to run cooler, because the Classic knows that the actual Finishing current has been reached.

In a similar way, can run other larger loads, such as the Microwave oven during the later part of Absorb without needing to monitor the charge current manually and sequence these loads off, when it seemed that the CC was about done with Absorb -- saves me time.

The WB is a very neat little device, and is very, very inexpensive. Thank You MidNite!! Vic
  • verdigo
    verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭

Thanks Vic. Looking at the manual now. I will more than likely pick one up as soon as I get inspected.

Dennis