Solar farms decrease property values?!? What do you think?

rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/12/04/4519470/residents-decry-plans-for-solar.html#.UqtE7uJnDyU

Well this is in my neck of the woods. I really can't believe people down here. There are so many HOA mentalities. It's ridiculous.

I live on 2.5 acres and have 28 solar panels on my front yard. I get comments ranging from:
Are you off grid? to
How are you going to sell your home?

There is a nuclear plant a mile from my home.

I'd rather have 36 acres of solar panels.
so if I solar farm was being built across from your home what would you say? do?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Solar farms decrease property values?!? What do you think?

It appears to be a lot of NIMBY (not in my back yard) stuff going on... I wonder which was there first?
    Soybeans are now grown on the 36-acre site where Strata Solar hopes to build the farm.
    Webbs Road drivers now also pass a county trash and recycling center, a concrete plant and property where Porta-Jons are stored. All are visible from the road.

If planning also approved a transfer station and concrete plant after the homes were in the area--They may just be drawing a line in the sand with planning. If the industrial stuff was there first--Then this is an issue where homes are in-filling in an ag/commercial area. One or the other will have to give.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

If a solar farm was going in across the street from my home, I'd be begging for a job! 8)

I can understand a preference not to have industrial plants near your home, or a high traffic mall, or a whole variety of other things. I don't understand an objection to a field of solar panels. Quiet, unobtrusive, seems like there'd about as much "traffic" as the soybean field. I suppose if you happened to be south of the field there might be a bright spot in that direction at certain times of day...

Unless they're putting in a solar-thermal system? Big tall tower with lots of mirrors focusing light on a single point? That could get a bit annoying if it's line of sight to your home.
  • firerescue712
    firerescue712 Solar Expert Posts: 95 ✭✭

Everyone wants to dictate what can be placed on property they do not own. If they don't like the idea, buy that piece of property to protect it from their "idea" of what should not be placed upon it. No one realizes alternative energy must be placed for the future power needs. Or else they must accept brownouts or more hydro-, coal-, or nuclear-powered generating stations. I am sure they definitely do not want those in their area. Someone has to have it "in their back yard." I would welcome this solar farm as my neighbor. It is funny how they have become so accustomed to seeing the other businesses that might be more distracting or depreciate their property value and do not make any issues over them. Many people reject change because they do not truly understand it. Educating the public on what alternative energy provides, along with the cleaner and quieter operation compared to existing energy plants, might make them more open to these farms.

Just my two cents.

Have a safe and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years everyone.
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    so if I solar farm was being built across from your home what would you say? do?

I would welcome it. It would be a lot better than some high rise that may block the sun from hitting my panels part of the day. At least it would be on par with what I am doing.

It may take me a while to build it. But, I am planning to have my own "small version" solar farm on our farm, here in Cambodia. Just takes one panel at a time.
    Paul
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

There are multiple multi-megawatt farms in my area...4 within 5 miles. Prince Edward County (north shore of Lake Ontario) gets some great insolation. Some think they are "an abomination", others,like me would like to see more. They're built on marginal agricultural land, not prime land. Problem is, one of the projects in development is going in on my model airplane club's flying field:cry:
  • westend
    westend Solar Expert Posts: 46

Since there is a septic tank outfit, a porta-biffy supplier, and a cement vendor all in that same area, one would think a solar farm would raise property values.
    I see a lot of this out in exurbia where I live. The new folks that move into recently built housing developments like to eliminate anything commercial from their surrounds. These are the same folk that think milk is made in a carton and bread appears magically in a plastic bag.
  • Grinnin
    Grinnin Solar Expert Posts: 39

Across from my house is wetland. They'd never get the permits.

Behind my house and another 1/4 mile is a fine field returning to forest. The panels might not all survive deer season.

But theoretically I'm in favor.

Crossing Canada last year I saw lots of multi-kilowat arrays in front of farms. (Was that western Ontario?) Looked sensible to me.

I haven't had an electric bill since spring of 2001. Looks like it costs 50% more today than I paid where I used to need it ($.08/kWh to $.12/kWh).

People on this forum know what solar can do, but many people think it works only for rich people by mounting tax dollars on roofs. When an honest working stiff asks the price of a solar setup that'll zero-out his $300 monthly electric bill, the system price shows that solar clearly doesn't work.

But, short answer, I'm in favor. Mix with wind farms -- there may be wind when there's no sun and sun when there's no wind.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

grinnin,
    it'll zero out down the line a few years as pv costs have dropped tremendously since you bought them.

i do have to say for 408w in pv and you are making it off grid that you deserve a conservation award.8) treat yourself to an upgrade and enjoy some extra power.
  • tmarch
    tmarch Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭

While across the road to me might be a bit different than to most (road is 3/4 mile away from my house) I would like to see it on my side of the road and have the revenue. Has to be a better return than pasture for cattle. If it's done like some it could actually be a double use as the basically make a large solar parking area with the panels mounted on poles that can be farmed or grazed under.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    tmarch wrote: »
    If it's done like some it could actually be a double use as the basically make a large solar parking area with the panels mounted on poles that can be farmed or grazed under.

I would have guessed that farming and grazing wouldn't work too well in the shade of a solar panel :confused: --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • tmarch
    tmarch Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I would have guessed that farming and grazing wouldn't work too well in the shade of a solar panel :confused: --vtMaps

Farming and grazing actually do work well in the shade of panels in hotter climates. Not all crops like or need direct sunlight and animals do better if it's cooler, along with less water use.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

well i was curious what happened on this case.
    here is the latest news, looks like a judge will decide

Planned Lake Norman solar farm didn’t prove its case, commissioners say
    By Joe Marusak
    jmarusak@charlotteobserver.com
    Posted: Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2014

North Carolina’s largest solar company failed to prove that its planned 36-acre solar farm near Lake Norman met Lincoln County’s land development rules, county commissioners say in response to a lawsuit filed against their decision to deny a permit for the project.

Calling the commissioners’ Dec. 16 vote to deny the permit for Strata Solar’s farm “arbitrary and capricious,” landowners Gary and Virginia Dellinger and Timothy Dellinger sued the commissioners in Lincoln County Superior Court in January. The Dellingers want a judge to reverse the vote and grant the permit for the farm on Webbs Road and Burton Lane in eastern Lincoln County.

In rejecting the permit, commissioners said the 26,000 solar panels wouldn’t be in harmony with Sailview and other nearby subdivisions.

In their Jan. 17 lawsuit, the Dellingers said Strata Solar did prove that its plans met the requirements of the county’s Unified Development Ordinance, which includes the county’s zoning and other land development rules.

Commissioners, in their Feb. 5 response to the lawsuit, say the Dellingers should be barred from objecting to the permit denial because the family didn’t participate in the public hearing before the vote or raise objections at the time of the vote.

The commissioners say their decision was neither arbitrary nor capricious, that the lawsuit should be dismissed and that the Dellingers should pay the county’s court costs.

As of Tuesday, no court date had been set for a judge to hear arguments in the case.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/02/25/4723829/planned-lake-norman-solar-farm.html#storylin
    k=cpy
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

A farm is a farm. What is the difference if you use your farm to grow electric or Hogs. If it was me and it is a farm I would get a few hogs and chickens and let the neighbors smell them for a bit. solarvic