Long run irrigation line for tree seedlings

NENewbie
NENewbie Registered Users Posts: 1
Trying to set up drip irrigation for ~ 50 trees in central Nebraska. Pumping from slough and or lake. Distances 500 to 700 ft only 10 ft of lift max. Is submersible pump or in line better to keep emitters clean? Water supply good so prefer not to use storage. Needs to be self priming as May not get checked for weeks.
Better to do high pressure short run time or low pressure all day? Battery? Inverter? Sorry so many questions, but as the name suggests...... I'm sure I'll have many more, but would like to not make too many mistakes along the way! I'm sure someone's been there before me!

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Long run irrigation line for tree seedlings

Welcome... you materials supplier should be able to advise as to what is best for you application.

Mine is low pressure ad is filtered and on a timer, kicks on 2 x per day. Does all my flower beds and hanging pots while away (all summer) been operating for 20+ years, spring maintenance is to clean out hard water deposits on EVERY dripper, even if they look OK ...

have fun

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »
    Welcome... you materials supplier should be able to advise as to what is best for you application.

Mine is low pressure ad is filtered and on a timer, kicks on 2 x per day. Does all my flower beds and hanging pots while away (all summer) been operating for 20+ years, spring maintenance is to clean out hard water deposits on EVERY dripper, even if they look OK ...

have fun

Thanks for reminding me, the patio misting system is in the same shape and needs cleaned/replaced misting ports, hopefully the 14 year old 1000psi pump is still alive and we can get another season without a rebuild. It will be in use pretty quick the way the temps are going.
  • tmarch
    tmarch Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
    NENewbie wrote: »
    Trying to set up drip irrigation for ~ 50 trees in central Nebraska. Pumping from slough and or lake. Distances 500 to 700 ft only 10 ft of lift max. Is submersible pump or in line better to keep emitters clean? Water supply good so prefer not to use storage. Needs to be self priming as May not get checked for weeks.
    Better to do high pressure short run time or low pressure all day? Battery? Inverter? Sorry so many questions, but as the name suggests...... I'm sure I'll have many more, but would like to not make too many mistakes along the way! I'm sure someone's been there before me!
    I would suggest a submersible pumping from a enclosed well screen installed close to the lake or slough simply to keep the pump from pumping things the will plug your line or emitters. Fairly easy to set up and keep operating.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you calculated the flow rate and pressure for the irrigation line?

Are you running poly tube, or PVC pipe ? Diameter will be critical because of friction/pressure loss. For 700' I'd start with no less than 1.5" line.

Use a fine mesh cleanable filter on the main line before the dripppers (how long are the dripper runs, there are mfg's charts and tables of pressure/diameter/# of drippers)
    If using long runs, feed the center of the run, not an end, you get better pressure distribution.

Later in the season, as more stuff grows in the water source, you will have to clean the filters more.

(I've got 300+ nut trees on drip, over 3 acres, and use pressure comp inline tubing on about 12 circuits)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,