MSX-64 Solar Panels

stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
I have an array of 12 Solarex MSX-64 panels. They are wired for 24 volts. They are 64 watt panels so what are my total watts? I did not know if it was like battery amp hours where voltage determined the value. These panels kept my battery bank (4 - PVX2580 AGMs) charged for a year, all it was running was a Sun Frost RF-16, with no additional charge devices. Inverter was down and had to be rebuilt.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: MSX-64 Solar Panels

Watts are Watts: Volts * Amps. So twelve 64 Watt panels is 12 * 64 = 768 Watt array.

When you are looking at battery Amp hours you're only seeing half of the power equation; without knowing the Volts you can't determine the Watt hours.

And note that in the panel equation you are determining only the rate; without the time factor (hours of equivalent good sun) you won't know the quantity of power available (Watt hours) in a day.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i do hope you are using a charge controller to prevent the overvoltage condition to your agm batteries as agms do not like to be pushed beyond a certain voltage point.
  • stmar
    stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    i do hope you are using a charge controller to prevent the overvoltage condition to your agm batteries as agms do not like to be pushed beyond a certain voltage point.
    Yes, I have a Morningstar Pro-Star 30 and it does have an AGM setting.