12, 24, or 48 Volt system

Options
fiddlerkelly
fiddlerkelly Registered Users Posts: 19
12 or 24 or 48 volt is where I am now .

Currently I have a 12 volt system with 250 watts of panels on the roof and 18- 6 volt golf cart batteries which are in series for 9-12 volt batteries. Each battery has 232 AHR total 2784 AH on 12 volt system.

I have a very basic PWM charge controller and a 1000 watt pure sine wave eliminator invertor from Canadian tire.

I am considering a charger for the system so when weather is bad I can recharge batteries using a 2000 watt Honda generator.

I spoke with a dealer and told him I was in need of charger and wanted to change the voltage to either 24 or 48 volts. Iam also planning on increasing the size of my solar bank from 250 watts to 760 watts because I found it was taking too long to recharge the batteries . I am planning on changing charge controllers to a midnite solar 150 . The suggestion from the dealer was to go to a magnum invertor which has a charger and transfer switch into it instead of having all these separate units.

From my calculations if all is turned on in cottage I am burning 615 watts /hr which is just over 5 amps /hour x 8 hours in winter for 40 amps total. Now in reality I will not have everything on more like 3 amps /hr. In the winter here in eastern Canada the shortest days have 8 hours of sunlight with best sunlight only approximately 2 hours. In the summer time 15 hours daylight with 4 hours of prime sun light time.

If I go to 24 or 48 volts I will have to either remove 2 -6 volt batteries or add 2 - 6 volts.

I plan on getting a wind turbine in a couple of years to make up for the times when we have extended periods with no sunshine that we have here in eastern Canada ( Newfoundland).

Any advice on this plan would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 12 volt or 24 volt battery bank?

Are you using 615 Watts average per hour or are you using 615 Watt hours? There is a big difference between the two. The terms used and where used can not only change the calculations they can confuse the issue.

For example let's say you use only 615 Watt hours per day. On a 12 Volt system that's (615/12) 51.25 Amp hours from the battery. This could be handled with a pair of GC2's (220 Amp hours @ 12 Volts) with about 25% DOD and be recharged from about 400 Watts on a PWM type controller. Small, simple, inexpensive.

Now if you average 615 Watts over 8 hours that's 4,920 Watt hours and a completely different system needed to supply it. There you're looking at using a 48 Volt system which would be roughly 102.5 Amp hours used needing a 400+ Amp hour battery bank. You're looking at two parallel strings of eight GC2's and 2750 Watts of array on an MPPT controller.

Hence why it's important to understand the terminology and use it correctly: systems are based on the Watt hours you need to supply. When you need more power it is better to go up in Voltage rather than up in current if at all possible.

Right now you have eighteen 6 Volt batteries meaning nine parallel strings of two and that's not good. What's more that would total around 1980 Amp hours and there is no way 250 Watts of panel would be of any use on that. Nor would 760. What's more that would be 5.9 kW hours of stored power which is even more than the 48 Volt system example above.

I doubt you need all that battery capacity and I'm certain they are being destroyed through lack of proper charging. It would be nearly impossible to keep the current even through nine parallel strings even if there was enough charge power (3500 Watt array, three controllers) to do the job.

The wind turbine will most likely prove a disappointment even in Newfoundland.

So lets work out what the real power requirement is in Watt hours per day and go from there.
  • fiddlerkelly
    Options

The 615 watts is / hour and that is only if I have every light plus TV ,receiver and laptop on. But as I said on average I am consuming 3 amps /hr. The invertor suggested to me by the dealer was a magnum invertor /charger /transfer switch with 4400 watts capability either 120 volt or 240 volt.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    The 615 watts is / hour and that is only if I have every light plus TV ,receiver and laptop on. But as I said on average I am consuming 3 amps /hr. The invertor suggested to me by the dealer was a magnum invertor /charger /transfer switch with 4400 watts capability either 120 volt or 240 volt.

Yes, well. Good inverter but not necessarily what you need.

You don't use Watts per hour because Watts is a rate and it would be a rate of a rate. Watt hours is a quantity: 1 Watt draw over 1 hour = 1 Watt hour.

The other thing is there is a difference between what is going on with the AC side and what is going one with the DC side. If you are using 3 Amps @ 120 VAC that's 360 Watts. If you use that over 8 hours that's (360 * 8 ) 2,880 Watt hours AC.

First thing that happens: inverter conversion efficiency. Let's say you have a good one and it can convert at 90% efficiency. Now the 2,880 Watt hours AC is 3,200 Watt hours DC. Then you add the inverter consumption. Based on running only 8 hours and being "truly off" the rest of the time it would be a number like (20 Watts * 8 hours) 160 Watt hours DC to be added. Total: 3,360 Watt hours DC per day. If you round that up you can make the math easy: 300 Amp hours @ 12 VDC (ridiculously high), 150 Amp hours @ 24 VDC (much better but still large), or 75 Amp hours @ 48 VDC (easily manageable). Or expecting 25% DOD 1200 Amp hour battery @ 12 Volts, 600 Amp hour battery @ 24 Volts, 300 Amp hour battery @ 48 Volts.

I think we'll split this off into its own thread for further discussion.
  • fiddlerkelly
    Options

Yeah like I said in reality I only have between 250 and 300 watts /hour that I am burning with more hours of use in winter than summer, 8 hours use in winter and 5 hours in summer. so based on that usage how many 6 volt batteries do I need and what size panel array would suffice taking into consideration our weather / hours of sun.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Yeah like I said in reality I only have between 250 and 300 watts /hour that I am burning with more hours of use in winter than summer, 8 hours use in winter and 5 hours in summer. so based on that usage how many 6 volt batteries do I need and what size panel array would suffice taking into consideration our weather / hours of sun.

If you take the higher power demand number of 300 Watts and multiply it by the longer time demand of 8 hours you get 2.4 kW hours. Not an unreasonable number to achieve.

The next question is: if you do not achieve it and yet need it what will happen? You run the Honda. I'm not far removed from this because it's almost identical to my own system.

So if we target 2.4 kW hours and factor in the inverter conversion efficiency and consumption we get 2.8 kW hours per day. Not an onerous amount of power to supply. This can be done reasonably on a 24 Volt system, as it is about 117 Amp hours @ 24 Volts used. That would be a 468 Amp hour battery bank.

If you've got eight of those GC2's that are still good and can count on some power direct from sun to improve efficiency and possibly curtail usage if needed you could probably get away with two parallel strings of four batteries for 440 Amp hours @ 24 Volts. If not or you think consumption may be higher you have to make the decision of whether to go with 24 Volts or take the leap to 48. It's right on the threshold.

If you go with 440 Amp hours @ 24 Volts the solar should look like this:
    44 Amps * 24 Volts / 0.77 = 1371 Watt array, round up to the nearest available size. That would be minimum. You could go up to 2X that if the weather is not all that co-operative.

If you go up to 440 Amp hours @ 48 Volts the minimum array size doubles.

Now about that inverter: do you need 240 VAC for anything? Will the total loads demand 4kW? If the answers here are "no" then there's other choices that will do the job rather than the Magnum.
  • fiddlerkelly
    Options

Well I had considered if ever I should want to run an electric oven at the cottage but I would need a lot more panels if that were the case more than the 1370 watt array as you suggested. Again in reality I can be a bit stinger on the lighting in the night requiring only 200 watts . I only get there with water pumps running for 5-10 minutes pumping water to cabin or running shower or if kitchen light are on which are long tube flourscent lights.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Well I had considered if ever I should want to run an electric oven at the cottage but I would need a lot more panels if that were the case more than the 1370 watt array as you suggested. Again in reality I can be a bit stinger on the lighting in the night requiring only 200 watts . I only get there with water pumps running for 5-10 minutes pumping water to cabin or running shower or if kitchen light are on which are long tube flourscent lights.

You don't want an electric oven. Trust me on this. You'd be looking at needing to supply up to 12kW for a few hours at most. Massive system size for an occasional use item.

If your lights are already CFL you're probably doing good. If they're incandescent shifting to LED will be a large power saving.

If you can select to use the water pump only midday when the batteries are up and the panels still able to produce power that otherwise wouldn't be realized that will be a big improvement. I do this, storing up power in large pressure tank. Takes about 6 minutes to fill from empty to provide about 50 gallons. If you've got room you can put in more tanks and run the pump longer to store up even more.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From my calculations if all is turned on in cottage I am burning 615 watts /hr which is just over 5 amps /hour x 8 hours in winter for 40 amps total. Now in reality I will not have everything on more like 3 amps /hr.

To get that 5 amps @120VAC, you will have to be pulling 50 amps from the 12V batteries.
    18- 6 volt golf cart batteries which are in series for 9-12 volt batteries. Each battery has 232 AHR total 2784 AH on 12 volt system.

With many (9) batteries paralleled, this is a mess, you should consider re-configuring the wires for a 48V bank, and get new inverter, charger and a MPPT controller when you upgrade the PV array. (some inverters have an integral AC charger you can run from the generator)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• fiddlerkelly
    Options

actually Mike95490 that was what I was thinking about and debating whether 24 or 48 volt. Will the midnite solar 150 do this system.
  • fiddlerkelly
    Options
    Re: 12, 24, or 48 Volt system
    If you can select to use the water pump only midday when the batteries are up and the panels still able to produce power that otherwise wouldn't be realized that will be a big improvement. I do this, storing up power in large pressure tank. Takes about 6 minutes to fill from empty to provide about 50 gallons. If you've got room you can put in more tanks and run the pump longer to store up even more.

I have 3 water pumps . one which which is a submersible and is only used once every 5 days or so just to pump water from the well to a 40 drum. Other two pumps ar RV pumps for hot and cold water for taps in bathroom and kitchen.

So you put your water under pressure via air compression.
  • fiddlerkelly
    Options

yeah I was looking at a magnum product they have a 24 volt and 48 volt with charger and transfer switch built in . the only thing is the 48 volt has 120 volt or 240 volt opition which I DON'T SEE ME USING.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    yeah I was looking at a magnum product they have a 24 volt and 48 volt with charger and transfer switch built in . the only thing is the 48 volt has 120 volt or 240 volt opition which I DON'T SEE ME USING.

Well you don't have to use 240 VAC even if you have it.
    Also look at Outback inverters: http://www.solar-electric.com/oupooffgrand.html
    They will need a MATE to go with them, which puts the price near the Magnum.
  • mike95490
    Options
    actually Mike95490 that was what I was thinking about and debating whether 24 or 48 volt. Will the midnite solar 150 do this system.

The Midnight classic 150 will take PV input up to 150V, and charge a 48v bank.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• fiddlerkelly
    Options

Actually after thinking about it if I remove 2 batteries from the system I can run my RV pumps which are 12 volt off of those 2 batteries thus taking them also out of the equation for the cottage.

So if you use 2400 watts total for one evening at the cottage should you have enough panels to replace that 2400 watts back into the battery bank the next day or is this too simplistic.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So if you use 2400 watts total for one evening at the cottage should you have enough panels to replace that 2400 watts back into the battery bank the next day or is this too simplistic.

If you're going to throw around numbers, you really need to get your units correct. Cariboocoot mentioned that in the first response to this thread.

"Watts" is a RATE of energy. "WattHours" is an AMOUNT of energy. What you use in the evening is an AMOUNT of energy, not a RATE of energy.

I think you mean that you use 2400 WattHours in one evening. That means you draw 2400 watts for 1 hour, or it means that you draw 1200 watts for 2 hours, or it means you draw 800 watts for 3 hours, or it means you draw 600 watts for 4 hours, etc.

1200 watts for 2 hours is the same amount of energy as 300 watts for 8 hours, but your battery does not see it that way. The watthour capacity of your battery decreases as you draw the energy out of your battery at a faster rate (watts). (called the Peukert effect).

It is common to rate battery capacity in AmpHours, rather than WattHours. AmpHours X Volts = WattHours

For example, if you use 2400 WattHours in the evening, on a 12 volt battery that is 200 AmpHours. On a 24 volt battery that is 100 AmpHours. On a 48 volt battery that is 50 amphours.

Now, to answer your question: If you use 2400 watthours of energy in the evening, you need to put MORE than 2400 watthours back into the battery the next day. Batteries are not 100% efficient.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • fiddlerkelly
    Options

Sorry about that , so lets say I use 2400 watt hours for the entire evening is there any sort of formula to calculate the amount of watt hours I would need to put back into the battery bank .
  • fiddlerkelly
    Options

no actually it is 2400 watt hours over 8 hour period and would that equal 300 watt/ hour ?
  • vtmaps
    Options
    no actually it is 2400 watt hours over 8 hour period and would that equal 300 watt/ hour ?

No. Your average draw is not 300 watts/hour. It is 300 watts. period.

If your power draw was 200 watts at noon, and increased to 500 watts at 1 PM, and then increased to 800 watts at 2 PM, and then increased to 1100 watts at 3 PM, you would increasing your power draw at a rate of 300 watts/hour.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • vtmaps
    Options
    so lets say I use 2400 watt hours for the entire evening is there any sort of formula to calculate the amount of watt hours I would need to put back into the battery bank .

Yes, but I doubt that is really what you want to know. (correct me if I am wrong about that). There's a lot of physics involved in the answer, and that is at the level of the battery.

I'm guessing that you really want to know how many watts of panels you need and how many hours of sunlight you need to charge your batteries from any particular SOC. Or perhaps you want to know what size battery charger you need and how long it will take that charger to charge your batteries. Answering these questions involves the efficiency of the battery, but also of your solar panels, generator, battery charger, controller, wiring losses, etc. Fortunately there are some good rule-of-thumb formulas to answer these questions.

--vtMaps
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Actually it doesn't matter if your consumption of 2400 Watt hours occurs in eight hours or 24: it's still 2400 Watt hours per day.

As for "putting it back" it's a matter of having enough panel to recharge the battery used to supply the power.

Example:
    2400 Watt hours on 24 Volts = 100 Amp hours used. At 25% DOD that is a 400 Amp hour battery.
    Sunny day recharge of that would want 40 Amps peak current, times 24 Volts / 0.77 = 1246 Watt array.
    Check array 'harvest': 1246 Watts * 4 hours minimum equivalent good sun * over-all system efficiency of 0.52 = 2591 Watt hours. That number being larger than the expect power use = it should work.

In reality there are adjustments made. The first being upping the battery capacity to one that you can actually obtain, such as 440 Amp hours. Then you calculate the array size on that and get 1371 Watts. Since panels don't come in 'any size you like' you need to adjust upwards to something you can actually get and will fit with the system Voltage. As in even numbers of 30 Vmp panels so that you can run strings of two and have sufficient charging Voltage. In this case it might be three parallel strings of two 240 Watt panels in series making a 1440 Watt array.

That size array should yield almost 3kW hours AC per day, more than enough to handle the expected needs. It would also produce about 46 Amps peak current which the batteries would have no problem with. Yes, you can round things down. Providing you have no problem with running out of power (i.e. you like running your generator).
  • mike95490
    Options

flooded batteries "generally" have about 20% recharge losses, take out 100 watt hours, recharge with 120 watt hours