increase speed (and frequency) in a diesel genset

unicornio
unicornio Solar Expert Posts: 217 ✭✭
Hi, there!...
maybe Cris Olson remember. long time, my friend!)
my diesel generator is down-rev speed (and therefore frequency in its output) so that already works to 45hz ...
I have been researching where I can adjust the engine speed and I saw this video:
(Thanks!...great videos from aurora generators, maybe beter even that the generators itself?...;-))

is a yanmar engine identical to mine. I need help because of language problems:
I understand that removing one of the three washers seal of the injection pump, then the engine speed will increase...
is that correct? ... I understand correctly the message of "the man who speaks"? ...

thank you very much for the help!
Best regards to all the wonderfull forum! ...

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: increase speed (and frequency) in a diesel genset

He says remove one ( Different Thickness ) and that will give you more power above 3000' altitude. It's for the power curve and timing of the fuel. I don't know if that will change your governed speed, it might if your power is low.
  • unicornio

thanks so much, Blackcherry04!...
    i have some difficult to understand spoken english (from ear!...;-)
    and had understood something about the timing ... sometimes when you need to hear something you hear it but what nobody say! ...;-)

I do not think my problem is the height and so it may certainly vary the air/fuel mixture and is something I do not think this is the remedy for what I have ...

I'll have to keep looking like getting a raise engine rpm and frequency of my diesel genset...
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

if the genset used to run OK, and now it is not, then there is something WRONG, and it should be corrected. Changing washers may just hide a more serious problem.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• unicornio

hi, there!...
    I am very happy because I managed and get to solve this problem, and the solution has been simpler than I expected

genset now works better than when it was new , since it has always had this same problem , so when was supplying the maximum power, frequency down to 40Hz ( it is a generator 230ACV @ 50Hz CE ) and worst are the noise, when the power supplied are changing, noise of genset apparently worked poorly nourished, with lack of fuel ...

Now it work more stable and does not change the noise regardless of power supplying, and can give 5KVAs perfectly with light variation between 49.5 and 50.5 Hz , which is normal with consumption changes , but remains stable at 50,1Hz if the power supplied is stable...and now, it no make any smoke!... (regardless of power supplying)

adjustment has been made possible by simply changing the spring that pulls the governor lever up, in a different hole. so i think this is the method to fine adjust rpm engine...

Attachment not found.
    image is clearly seen that in the original position , in the hole that indicates the vertical arrow facing downwards , whereas now the position of the spring is in the most extreme left hole, which indicates the horizontal arrow .

this is the genset to which I refer in this thread.

Attachment not found.

I hope that some might be helpful .

PD: I miss so much Cris Olson in this forum, not because it was banned or want to get into judging that, I also have been banned on a forum and was by commercial interests of the owners of these forum, and I do not think that's the case on this forum, but I mean that in any case , i think Cris Olson is a great loss to the synergy of the forum ...

cheers
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

He is welcome back anytime... I understand what happened and why everyone got upset. But that is about it. Move forward doing the best any of us imperfect creatures can.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • unicornio

ok, guy, I understand ...
    i am banned from solarweb forum because the moderator uses the forum to sell victron and he think that i make too many post comments of outback equipment.
    although it was highly regarded in the forum, and with thousands of highly appreciated post ...and I will not go back to that forum for ever ...
    but meanwhile, i want that Cris Olson go back here!...
    many thanks!
    cheers!
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭

Not familiar with your genset, hate to ask the obvious but is it belt driven? Kubota diesels are and subject to belt stretch and wear, thus loss of speed, esp. under heavy loads. If you are direct drive, and the motor has slowed then there is some other issue, plugged injectors maybe? There are some good additives for cleaning them. The throttle speed adjustment should be easy to get to, on mine two wrench's and a simple adjust of the speed nut.
  • unicornio

hi, solorone, many thanks for your post.

this is a direct drive central axis system. It has taken me a long time making empirically tests to regulate well revolutions to set the frequency to 50 hz. it is failed since new. is a chinese 'inverse engeniering' from a very simple yanmar engine...
    I am very happy now!...:-)
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭

Glad you got it worked out. I am sorry I did not pay more attention to your post and video. My mistake to even reply.
  • unicornio

there is no problem, happy to contact you and I appreciate your consideration anyway ...;-)
    best regards from gredos mountains in spain!...