New website going live could affect forums

rick
rick Administrators Posts: 134 admin
Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that we will be launching our new website for solar-electric.com and it may temporarily cause delays or problems accessing the forums. We're planning on hosting the forums on a subdomain of our store. If everything goes according to plan, you won't notice any difference and any links you follow should automatically forward to the new domain. But just in case it doesn't work as expected at launch, I wanted you to be aware that we will be working on it and will have the forums up and running smoothly as soon as we can. Let's cross our fingers that we won't have any major issues to deal with. The new website could be going live as soon as noon today MST but could be tomorrow or later depending on what issues arise during the launch.

Rick
Website administrator for Northern Arizona Wind & Sun

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: New website going live could affect forums

Sounds great Rick!

Fingers crossed.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

I notice that "Read" posts do NOT disappear anymore when you press the "New Posts" link....???

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.

And posts are going under the wrong user name (on occasion).

Last I heard this morning, the software folks are working on the problems.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rick

Thanks for your patience everyone. The developers are working on the problems. We have given them the link to this thread, so feel free to post any errors you're getting so that the developers can read them.

Rick
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I seem to be getting "plagiarized" regularly. This latest instance it started its own thread?

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?22576-Grounding-PV-structure
  • Cariboocoot

In this thread it appears a couple of posts made after #7 disappeared:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?22554-Hoping-for-some-help-in-preventing-a-fire-or-getting-electrocuted
  • Cariboocoot

Same thing in this one: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?22521-Help-me-make-wise-decisions-First-timer/page9

(I'm hoping this info will help them track down problems.)
  • rick

Thanks for posting that info. The developers are monitoring this thread, so any info about errors will definitely help them out in solving the problems.

Rick
  • Cariboocoot

Here is another thread that got 'truncated'. http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?22532-Xantrex-Schneider-MPPT-60-big-sparks

I believe the latest post is the OP's attempt to reconstruct one that vanished.
  • westbranch

I am also seeing that some of the 'history' aspects are working sometimes, other times not... like threads I read this morning are back on the 'New List", returning to the last place in the post read the day previous...?? even though I read the newer posts already this morning...

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • westbranch

And when I went to post the post just before this one, I got one of those "this is a repeat post'' messages but it isn't really as there is only one version ...??

• westbranch

this post will not 'go away' after i have read it and pressed " New Posts"...??

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?22544-diode-question-wind-ten

• Cariboocoot
    westbranch wrote: »
    this post will not 'go away' after i have read it and pressed " New Posts"...??

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?22544-diode-question-wind-ten

That's yet another thread that's been 'trimmed'.
    I don't have the "new post" notice on it though.

Some threads seem to have more than 10 posts per page too.

The NAWS site itself is a mess. I can't navigate it because link items are piled on top of one another.
  • DLwindsun
    DLwindsun Administrators Posts: 34 admin

Cariboocoot

Can you please describe your trouble navigating in more detail? Maybe provide a screenshot?
  • hemmjo
    hemmjo Solar Expert Posts: 90 ✭✭

Just FYI for the developers..

I noticed the change in format when the posts in the forum went from most recent post in a thread at the top of the list on page 1, to the first post of the thread on the top of page 1. I also noticed that the posted I read were not marked as read.

Then I noticed I was not "Logged in" . I had it set to keep me logged in on this computer. As soon as I logged back in, everything has been working fine for me.

John
    Two systems in the Dominican Republic  http://villagemountainmission.org/
    installed Feb 2014 at 19.796189° -70.893594°, Classic 150 + WBJR, KISAE SW1210, MN Battery Monitor, IOTA DLS 55/IQ4,  4- Solar World 275w, 4-6v x 225ah Trace Batteries
    installed Feb 2015 at 19.795733° -70.893372°, same components  as above
    Honda PowerMate PC0497000, 7000/8750w generator - powers the well and chargers maybe once a week

• BB.

Because of the new URL (forum.solar-electric.com), all the cookies are "lost" and have to be re-entered (such as your login).

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot

Rick, if this works this is an example of the way the store site looks on my machine now. Note the items on the right side "piled on top of each other":
  • BB.

Cariboocoot (Marc) would have to tell you if this is his post or not--I think this is "Cariboocoot"'s post, but says it is from Blackcherry04.
    I could see where SMA "TL" series would work for some people, under some outages, During the Day if the sun is shining you'd have 1,500 watts to charge battery's for another Inverter to get you through the night. If your panels are compromised from damaged or covered with Ice and snow, If the Sun does not shine, you're out of Business with more redundant equipment and NO power.

I am on my 13 th day of Ice and Snow cover on the panels, a SMA TL would be worthless. Thank You Honda EU 2000.

Marc, if this is not your post, feel free to delete this post.

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot

Bill;

It's his, not mine.
    Same sentiment though. But currently I have no ice storm outside, just avalanches. :p
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    rick wrote: »
    Thanks for your patience everyone. The developers are working on the problems. We have given them the link to this thread, so feel free to post any errors you're getting so that the developers can read them.

Rick
    Have they run all the maint tasks that are included with VBulletin Admin? They should have done that before they moved the database, but doing it again might fix a lot of the errors. I will take a look at the logs and see if there is anything obvious. I ran some of the repair and rebuild items, that might fix some issues here.
  • BB.

Notice to New Members attempting to register...

There is a problem with the new new member registration screen--The image verification section is not working right now and will not allow you to complete your registration.

Image Verification Input error: Invalid referer

I have notified our admin Rick and hopefully it will be fixed in a day or so.

-Bill
  • Windsun

This should be fixed. It was set to use the standard "Captcha" image, and we don't have an account for this domain, so I set it to the "what color is xx" type questions.

Let me know if you keep on having problems. This was a 5 minute fix, and Rick is pretty busy with the main site, so I went ahead and fixed it for now (hopefully).
  • Mustang65
    Mustang65 Solar Expert Posts: 42 ✭✭

Did you catch the misspelled word about half way throught the post?
  • BB.
    Mustang65 wrote: »
    Did you catch the misspelled word about half way throught the post?

Which post? Not yours?

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot

I keep getting "signed out" now switching between the forum and the mod panel. That's not helpful at all.
  • BB.

Marc, It is not happening with me... Do you have any cookie controls enabled in the browser (like only allow temporary cookies)?

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    BB. wrote: »
    Marc, It is not happening with me... Do you have any cookie controls enabled in the browser (like only allow temporary cookies)?

-Bill

Nope. Cookies are allowed. It always worked before today.

At least the NAWS site is now looking and functioning correctly. I don't like the new look and some of the functioning is annoying, but it can be used.
  • BB.

Also, if we keep getting spammed badly--The new user function may need to be turned off until Captcha is working again. Have not received this much spam for a long time (all apparently from one "organization" using IP Addresses from around the world. :cry:

Thank you to Windsun for coming out of retirement to help Rick with the large amount of updates being done on the forum and the NAWS website.

Fingers crossed. :-)

-Bill "moderator" B.
  • Windsun
    BB. wrote: »
    Also, if we keep getting spammed badly--The new user function may need to be turned off until Captcha is working again. Have not received this much spam for a long time (all apparently from one "organization" using IP Addresses from around the world. :cry:

Thank you to Windsun for coming out of retirement to help Rick with the large amount of updates being done on the forum and the NAWS website.

Fingers crossed. :-)

-Bill "moderator" B.
    I got a new Captcha key for this domain, let me know if it is not working.