PV mount

Badar
Badar Solar Expert Posts: 38
Currently I am using a simple design for my PV mounting in small installations. as follows.
Attachment not found.

It has a vertical rod with holes to adjust tilt angle from 49 to 5 degrees horizontal.

Although it is working fine, but I am in mood to change it a bit.
Its fine on winter as is in picture above.
but when in spring/fall, panel is needed to be tilted at 27 degrees, an ugly looking rod gets out above the panel.
And in summer, when angle is only 5 degree, then its just hateful. Then I used an Ostrich approach i.e. close my eyes as if there is nothing wrong :(

Now I am in mood to change this design. I found many designs on internet, but problem is that above design has proved very cost effective i.e. just $6 per panel.

I have two ideas.
1: use smaller ROD, just above the middle of panel. (It will have same issue, but in smaller size)
2: Rod be made in 4,5 parts. Each part can be dismantled to lower the panels and added again to lift the panel. (fear of losing parts and increased work load)

Is there any good idea to tilt the angle in much fine way?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: PV mount

The mounts I have on my roof use a combination of a two piece strut (the 'upright' part) with multiple holes in each to adjust length, plus multiple holes in the fixed and movable rails. Of course this does not allow 'perfect' angle adjustment, but it does allow for many variations without the struts sticking above the panels (which not only looks bad but also can cast shadow across cells).

Unfortunately I've never thought to take a picture of it, and it's a wee bit inaccessible at the moment.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Are you looking for an entirely new mounting system to give you precise and easy adjustments?

The ground mount one I made, was very cost effective, I can adjust in minutes and for my (12) 205w panels (which are rather large) only cost a couple hundred dollars.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

if you have the lowest edge about 2 feet above the ground you can solve your problem, as the support will drop to the ground while attache d to the top of the panel.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • SolInvictus
    SolInvictus Solar Expert Posts: 138

Here is an inexpensive way to make a PV panel manually adjustable in elevation (side view):

Attachment not found.

EMT is Electric Metallic Tubing, galvanized steel tubing used as electrical conduit. You need a hacksaw for cutting, a vice for crushing and a drill to make holes. Larger PV panels need larger diameter EMT.