Energy Star Tier 3 and better 20+ cu ft refrigeration

Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone with experience searching for the Tier 3 and better refrigerators? I am finding that the bottom freezer units use more energy that the top freezers. This does not seem correct to me. Tier 3 and better are fairly new classifications for low consumption. Tier 3 units do not defrost on a timer but use a sensor to determine if the defrost is required. Other things also go into this class.

The units I found were 363 KWH per year for a 22 cu ft top freezer and 430 KWH for a 22 cu ft bottom freezer.
"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Mountains near Mariposa/Yosemite CA
 http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
E-mail [email protected]

Comments

• Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Energy Star Tier 3 and better 20+ cu ft refrigeration
    Anyone with experience searching for the Tier 3 and better refrigerators? I am finding that the bottom freezer units use more energy that the top freezers. This does not seem correct to me. Tier 3 and better are fairly new classifications for low consumption. Tier 3 units do not defrost on a timer but use a sensor to determine if the defrost is required. Other things also go into this class.

The units I found were 363 KWH per year for a 22 cu ft top freezer and 430 KWH for a 22 cu ft bottom freezer.

This 21.9 cu ft bottom freezer unit used about 404 per year which was about 40 more than a top freezer. Still pretty low usage though.http://www.homedepot.com/p/203534763?N=5yc1vZc3piZ2bcre1Z1z0y90h
    E-mail [email protected]

• Sun DogSun Dog Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭

When I was shopping for a fridge 2.5 years ago I too found that the bottom freezer units used more power than the comparable ones with a top freezer. We have a basic 18 cuft GE that is rated for 311kWh/year. When we first got it I measured it's summer consumption and it was pretty much right at the rated amount, 0.85kWh/day. We had to get it serviced about a year ago and I believe the tech put a little too much refrigerant back into it. It now consumes ~1.1kWh/day during our hot northern summers but only 0.5kWh during the winter. Yes, our kitchen floor is very much on the chilly side of things.
  • Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Dog wrote: »
    When I was shopping for a fridge 2.5 years ago I too found that the bottom freezer units used more power than the comparable ones with a top freezer. We have a basic 18 cuft GE that is rated for 311kWh/year. When we first got it I measured it's summer consumption and it was pretty much right at the rated amount, 0.85kWh/day. We had to get it serviced about a year ago and I believe the tech put a little too much refrigerant back into it. It now consumes ~1.1kWh/day during our hot northern summers but only 0.5kWh during the winter. Yes, our kitchen floor is very much on the chilly side of things.

I bet it is chilly now in Yellowknife! Not to great down here with 25F in the morning with bone chilling pacific humidity finding a path into the mountains.

I found a 21 Cu ft Whirlpool top freezer that uses 360 KWH and with the tier 3 attributes. I was told by the appliance guru on a Sears chat line that it all should be decided by if you make alot of cocktails. If you do, you need a top freezer.

Spring is coming!
    E-mail [email protected]

• westbranchwestbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    decided by if you make a lot of cocktails. If you do, you need a top freezer.

?? I guess he doesn't like to bend over for those cubes...;)

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • peakbaggerpeakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

I just wish some firm would offer an economizer option for a home refrigerator that would use outdoor air for cooling when the temps were low enough. An inventor over in VT does it for freezer cases in stores.