Solar Hot Water / Heating...

Options

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Re: Solar Hot Water / Heating...

I installed a closed loop solar water heating system this past February. I researched what was out there commercially and the costs involved. I decided to employ commercial collectors (http://solarroofs.com/), a 12v March pump, expansion tank, 20w PV panel, and misc hardware. The kit recommended I purchase an 80 gallon heat exchange tank, but I needed more storage than that. We have a 3 year old 3100 sq ft single story house with two water heaters. We have 6 children living at home, so take lots of showers & wash the dishes twice daily by hand. I built an insulated heat storage vault housing three 55 gallon poly barrels filled with water. I put a 60' coil of 1/2 copper tubing at the bottom of each barrel joined in series to the next. The 3 12'x2' collectors heat the 50/50 mix of glycol/water and send it to the first barrel. The fluid heats the first barrel's water, then goes on to the second, then third. The water then is returned to the collectors. I find the barrels heat to within about 5 degrees of each other at the end of the day. At the top of each barrel is a 60' coil of 3/4" copper tubing that feeds cold water in from the wall to the "coldest" barrel, then to the middle one, then finally to the "hot" one, then back to the hot water heater.

I use my standard 40 gallon water heater as a backup for extended cloudy days. The preheated hot water is simply routed back to the hot water heater, then fed to the rest of the house. The 150 or so gallons of hot water is plenty to feed us hot water for at least 3 days of no sun (after a good charge of course). We have unplugged and disconnected the second hot water heater and simply run off of the one unit, if needed. We are saving about $58 per month in electricity by employing our solar hot water system.
  • Frank
    Frank Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭✭
    Options

That sounds like a great project! Any chance you could post some pics?
  • System2
    Options
    Frank wrote:
    That sounds like a great project!  Any chance you could post some pics?

Here you go. These pictures were taken the week of the installation. Since then, I've tweaked some things to get the tanks to around 160 degrees, though I've seen the hot barrel get to 170. Hardest struggle for me was to get the air out of the system. Finally had to buy a high powered "charging" pump from Grainger to ensure enough "oomph" was put into the system to drive all the air from the barrels. That is a lot of copper, and air was not being expelled from the pipes under low pressure. I also installed an air vent (like a radiator has up north) to ensure no air bubbles made their way back to the tanks. Has been running like this for 6 months without any more problems. I used plain auto antifreeze (cheaper) that should last at least 5 years before flushing. The only other maintenance I do is to simply top off the barrels every month or 6 weeks. The heat vault box does a nice job of keeping the heat in, but some hot water vapor does escape.

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

nice setup.
  • Frank
    Options

Excellent work. My only concern would be the use of automotive antifreeze (unless you used propylene glycol). The ethylene glycol isn't safe for consumption should there be a leak in the exchange barrels. (Not that people normally drink hot water, but you never know!)

How many panels did you use? or how many square feet? Where do you live?

TIA
  • System2
    Options
    Frank wrote:
    Excellent work. My only concern would be the use of automotive antifreeze (unless you used propylene glycol). The ethylene glycol isn't safe for consumption should there be a leak in the exchange barrels. (Not that people normally drink hot water, but you never know!)
    TIA
    I agree, excellent work. But, that "The ethylene glycol isn't safe for consumption" is an understatement! The stuff is highly toxic and can be deadly. Many people use hot water, especially if it's free, to make tea, etc, for both speed and to save propane/natural gas in the process.
    Why take a chance, when there are relatively safe products out there, used in domestic heating systems, that work well, have a long life and aren't corrosive.
    Wayne
  • System2
    Options

The rule of thumb is if there is one tube as a heat exchanger contacting potable water, then ethylene glycol is not to be used under any circumstances. This "one tube" concept is typical of a Rheem HE80 heat exchange type of water heater. My barrel system uses two separate tubes, so there is a "double wall" of protection. Since the cold water is under pressure, there would be no risk of contamination. Please realize also that the barrels I use simply store the heat, then impart it to the cold water piping (heat exchange). The hot water system from the roof as well as the cold water system going to the hot water tank are sealed systems. There is no direct connection between the cold water, hot water, or the barrels. There is simply a "heat exchange" taking place. I priced the other "safe" glycol when I built my system and it was absolutely outrageous. If someone were to build a system without double wall isolation, then it should be considered. The glycol is non-corrosive (does not contain silica) and has been used in the auto industry for some time, so it is long lasting under very extreme conditions. Should my pump fail, the glycol would survive a good amount of "stagnation" before breaking down.

I am using three collectors, each provides about 24 sq ft of collection. I use 150 gallons of water storage, thus divided by this total collection area (about 75 sq ft) gives me about 2:1. This does not take into consideration my 40 gallon stand by. We live just north of San Antonio, Texas. Two collectors were recommended to me, but I chose the third for extra heat collection for our larger family. The only other thing I wish I could have done is to employ additional barrels for more storage. As it is, my sweet wife gave up some of her utility room for this project. With the excess amount of heat production, she can wash in hot water and not feel like she is wasting energy producing it.
  • AFWnS
    AFWnS Solar Expert Posts: 13
    Options

You might want to take a look at Guy Marsden's setup at http://www.arttec.net/solarDHW/index.htm He also published an article in Homepower a few years back on solar heating his workshop. This time he is heating his house in Maine.

I've just finished installing a system in my cabin near AngelFire NM, but still have a probelm, the circulator is overheating, I'm told that is from air in the system. Unfortunately the system design originally had the collectors on the roof and the circulator on top of the solar storage tank which would have been a good position, however we had to reposition the collectors temporarily near the ground which left the circulator at the high point of the system. My next trip there will have to reposition the circulator to a low point. Will probably put in a second circulator and leave the high circulator for when the panels are moved to the roof.
  • System2
    Options
    AFWnS wrote:
    I've just finished installing a system in my cabin near AngelFire NM, but still have a probelm, the circulator  is overheating, I'm told that is from air in the system.

My problems started when I was initially charged the system only using a pump mounted on a drill. The pump worked to charge the system, but barely. Also because of the amount of copper tubing, it never had enough "oomph" to drive out all the air from the coils. After several attemps to purge the system, I had to invest in a higher powered water pump from Grainger. The new pump was awesome! I simply filled a 5 gallon bucket with a 50/50 antifreeze mix and let it go! I let it run for about 30 minutes to drive all the air out. It was shocking how much air actually came out. Before charging, I also installed a small vent valve (like home heating radiators have) to ensure small bubbles were purged before lodging in the coils again. It has been running for nearly seven months without a hitch. As for your circulator placement; as long as it is adequate to pump what you need, it should be fine in any placement. Some pumps don't mind being lower in the run (with a bit larger head pressure), but with the placement should not be a big deal. The real issue is getting all the air out. If they cavitate, then no fluid will move, and the fluid in the collectors will stagnate. I had an air lock early on in my installation. The temperature coming down from the roof was superheated steam that my gauge showed nearly 350 degrees! Once I got all the air out, things were fine. Summer heating is typically 180 down from the roof, and winter is about 140.
  • Frank
    Options

Thanks for the clarificationon the heat exchanger. I wasn't looking closely enough at the photos I guess.

Good work!
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options

are you feeding the cold water into the barrel fartghest away from the one that is fed with the incoming solar? we have been toying with that idea for solar and a wood boiler using 3 400 gallon tanks feed tank A with solar and boiler then go to B then C then for the coils taking out of the tanks feed into tank C then B then A our thinking was it would make the system more adaptable to shorter sun days then say a 1200 gallon tank?
  • System2
    Options

Yes, you are correct. The theory is to run the cold water into the coolest barrel first (to begin the warmup), then on to the middle, then finally to the hottest. This causes the best use of the available heat in each barrel. I have played with "throttling" the heat input by slightly invoking the isolation valve to reduce the flow from the roof. Doing this made the hot barrel VERY hot, but the other two barrels were not sufficiently charged. Putting the valve wide open allowed for the max number of BTU's to flow, thus I got a better charge. My only regret is that I was not able to put 10 or 20 barrels to use (lack of space). Now, nothing says that someone could not use a corner of a basement. I've even seen ideas where a "basement" under the house is made during new construction. This insulated heat storage area would have enough capacity to heat the entire house. I really wish I knew about this when my house was designed. The barrels, I believe, are the easiest way for someone to step into this adventure with minimum cash outlay and faster return on investment. Besides, it was fun to build!
  • System2
    Options

Another consideration is to shoot for about a 3:1 ratio of solar collection square footage versus storage capacity in gallons. The idea is to heat the water quickly to get as much heat gain as possible. The multi-barrel system works very well, as the first barrel will heat up quickly, then pass the excess heat to the subsequent barrels. Multiple 400 gallon tanks will not heat quickly (unless you have a massive array of collectors), so I believe you'd be disappointed with the results. I have more than enough collector area (a bit over 70 sq ft) for my 150 gallons of storage.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options

well when we are done we will have somewhere around 400 sf of collector we want to do space heating in the radiandt slab as well as dhw we are making our panels and have had great success so far here in maine with them. i like the idea of heating in stages like the barrels i have acces to 300 gallon poly tanks that may be another good aoption 3 300 gallon tanks might be good?
  • System2
    Options

You should have enough collection for the 900 gallons of storage with that setup. Something that you may want to consider is how much you can collect and store versus the amount of loss through the radiant floor. During the winter, you will have limited sun, so you'll have to collect and store a good bit more than you'll use on cloudy days. Also, with that much storage, it will take awhile to recharge the storage, so you may want to engineer your system accordingly. You may want to drop Al Rich (RichSolar@aol.com) a note asking for his counsel. I bought my collectors from him, and he has been very helpful. He has many years of experience in solar heating, so I would certainly tap his experience to help you get a great result from your project. Happy heating!
  • System2
    Options

Was doing some on line research last evening on heating system antifreeze. (the proper stuff)
    To say I got my eyes opened is an understatement! When I paid about $400.00 for the stuff 2 years ago (had to shut up my place for that winter) I thought that would be the end of all my worries and troubles. That stuff would last the life of the boiler and protect it from corrosion and freezing if I ever had to go away again during winter. How wrong I was! Many of the experts would never use the stuff unless they really had to. They see far more damage to heating systems from the antifreeze than ever from freezing! Very corrosive and does "very nasty things" to boilers and plumping. The only thing they liked about it, was that it provided for more boiler sales, replacing ruined ones.
    Well, I ran right down and have a serious look at my system and just can't believe the corrosion I find after having the stuff for only 2 years! When I put the stuff in, the system was 4 years old and had NO sign of any corrosion anywhere! After what I found, I couldn't get it out fast enough! Filled and flushed the entire system 4 times to get it all out and will never use it again! I'll drain it if I ever have to close up during winter! It also doesn't conduct or hold hear nearly as well as water, resulting in hot spots when the burner is on and the domestic hot water from the coil inside the boiler works far better when it's in water too. With the antifreeze in the system, the only way to get hot water at the faucets was to run the water very slow, to give it a chance to heat. Not so with water in the system.
    I'll NEVER use antifreeze in a solar hot water heater. Probably drain back, not sure.
    My eyes have been opened.
    Cheers
    Wayne
  • System2
    Options

Interesting, and sorry to hear your results. There are many grades of antifreeze on the market. I've run one particular grade for a number of years in my vehicles without any incidents. I naturally put this into my solar hot water system knowing that it did so well for me in vehicles. Now I have not taken my system apart to see the condition of the innards. I do not see the logic in hot spots if the mixture is homogenous. Also, the mix should be no more than 50/50 depending on the climate. I too have heard that water has a better propensity to absorb heat than straight antifreeze. We have had no problems with heat transfer, but it simply provides a method of keeping the fluid in the collectors from freezing and raising the boiling point. Again, sorry to hear your horror story. Hope you find something that works well for you.

...Rick
  • System2
    Options

Yeah, this stuff was sold to me as premixed and ready to put in. The hot spots happen when the fluid doesn't remove heat from some areas of the heat exchanger fast enough when the burner is on.
    Cheers
    Wayne
  • niel
    Options

wayne,
    next time you go to fill up the system put a half pint of very light synthetic oil into it first. this will coat everything nicely without causing corrosion. this is not good for steam boilers though, only hot water heating systems. the oil will change the boiling point of the system. also note that when bleeding the system the oil will tend to be there as oil and water don't mix and oil rises. take precautions that the oil doesn't get onto anything you don't want oiled.
  • System2
    Options

Sounds like an idea worth trying and the sooner the better.
    Thanks Niel.
    Wayne
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Bump the thread if folks want to continue the solar hot water discussion from the other thread.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    Options

continued from home depot selling solar attic vents.
    reposted in duplicate from me.

i understand the married part as i too have one that loves to sit in wait for me to step out of line. the line's definition changes to suit them of course. anyhow, the concept and principles are so simple and yet it becomes complicated due to other factors. i don't think the freeze factor would be your problem though and that does much to circumvent some complexities.

ammended:
    wayne,
    did you ever try adding the oil as i suggested and if so how'd it work out for you?
  • System2
    Options

No Niel, not yet, but I expect to be making some changes to the system this Summer that will require partial draining of the system, so will do it then. In the meantime, with plain water in the system, there has been no more visible signs of problems - - very unlike when it has the antifreeze in.
    Thanks and will update when the change is made.
    Wayne
  • niel
    Options

plain water works as long as no air gets into the system and then you'll get the same problem. a small amount of oil will coat any area that gets exposed to the air because oil is lighter than water. that's why not much is needed to be added.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd like to offer another perspective - stacked water heaters. I have 2, 50 gallon heaters, natural gas, ones' '86, other is '91. Because I have a huge jacuzzi tub, I need 100 gallons of hot to fill the 200 gallon beast. Rather than paralleling 2 heaters, I decided to series them, and split the thermal shock. Each only sees a 40F differential, and I get 2 burners to fire up when needed. They have to be fairly efficient, in the summer months, I have a $8 gas bill, for showers and laundry and cooking for 4 people. Also, I installed 3/4" ball valves as drains and can really flush the crud out annually.

WaterHeaters_1r.jpg
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    Options

Mike,

Look like standard gas water heaters (standing pilot, no forced air/flue dampers, etc.)... What is your gas rate (mine is about $1.24 per Therm or ~per CC hundred cuft)...

How do you do it... From my experience a standing pilot looks to be a $1.00 or more per month. I have one 50 gallon hot water heater and no hot-tub (and don't run out of hot water with the one heater). All my other gas appliances are now electronic ignition (of some sort). Only the Hot Water Heater still has a pilot.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So Cal Gas winter rates are .72564 per Therm
    April bill was $55 Forced air heat was running, in a 2400sf house. May should be about half, Jul, Aug & Sept - last year, ran about $12 mo. 4 people, laundry, showers cooking. All I have are the 2 water heaters in series, about 40F rise in each one.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    Options

OK,

I see, the price of natural gas seems to account for the difference in monthly prices between our two homes. My worst winter bill was about $60 for natural gas (and the price was probably higher last winter too)...

My home is only 1,600 sqft--It was built in the late 1930's--with zero insulation--I have stripped the walls/installed fiberglass bats, re-did the ceiling insulation, and installed double pane vinyl windows everywhere--as well as new gas appliances/force air furnace (did not pay attention when contractor got it--only 80% efficient--should have done better).

But our weather is very moderate (Pacific Ocean, hills block fog, plus SF Bay)--and my wife and I are cheap--so we do OK.

-Bill
  • System2
    Options

Has anyone installed a Copperheart solar hot water heater yet. It is passive (no pumps, motors, etc.) and at about $3100 for a 40 gallon unit, it might make sense - with rebates and incentives. (Looks like $1000 AZ state credit and ~$600 Fed credit.)

http://www.solarstore.com/images/copperheart_specs.pdf

I have a remodel underway in Tucson, AZ, and am considering having one of these units installed, along with small point of use electric under counter water heaters in each bath and the kitchen.

For backup, I think the small electric heaters might be very efficient. They would only have to be turned on when solar heater can't keep up, which shouldn't be very often. I have one of these 2.5 gallon electric units in my small construction trailer at the remodel site and it works great. It runs on 120 V AC and heats up 2.5 gallons of water using 1200 watts in only 10 minutes. If you use a water saver button on the shower head, you can take a shower in 2.5 gallons of water (set at 120 degrees) and by the time you towel off and brush your teeth the next person has enough hot water to shower again.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Eemax-EMT2-5-Mini-Tank-Electric-Water-Heater/10414/Cat/770

With some possible future PV panels on a grid tie in the future, I think the electric back up water heaters would be a good option.
    I think if the Democrats take over the White House in 2008, we might see higher federal tax incentives for solar in the future, so I am thinking of holding off on the PV panels until then. :-D
  • System2
    Options
    tucsonjwt wrote:
    I think if the Democrats take over the White House in 2008,  we might see higher federal tax incentives for solar in the future, so I am thinking of holding off on the PV panels until then.  :-D

I don't know about that, Jorge Bush is more liberal than most democrats and gave more renewable tax CREDITS than anyone in US historym (I still can't figure why liberals hate him so much).  Also, look at what happened when socialist Germany subisidised PV, it drove the price of PV panels to well over $5.00 per watt here in the USA and made supplies extremely tight since most production was going to Germany (and Japan).  Prices are finally coming back down to the troposphere since they are no longer being subisidised.  Most people realize that govenment meddling only makes things more expensive (at least I hope they do).

Cheers,

Bad Apple