I feel like such a fool! $5 would have made my old batts like new again

waynefromnscanada
waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
Hahahaha This takes the cake. If only I had known! My 11 year old L16 battery bank could have been made like new again for only $5. All I had to do was fill them with a mixture of baking soda and water! Hahahahahahaha Oh, and make sure you cover the "fins" , then drain it and refill with pickling salt. lol
Sad thing is, many people will get sucked in by this idiot.

Removed link to insane video to prevent it's spread.

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: I feel like such a fool! $5 would have made my old batts like new again

Hi Wayne!

May I respectfully suggest that you munge the link so that people going there to get a good laugh do not end up creating referral links from this site and thereby giving it more status than it has now?
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • waynefromnscanada
    inetdog wrote: »
    Hi Wayne!

May I respectfully suggest that you munge the link so that people going there to get a good laugh do not end up creating referral links from this site and thereby giving it more status than it has now?

Good point. Done. :cool:
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry I missed the link. :(
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

How about this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sup@e1a3L@W2U

Remove the two "@" symbols towards the of the link.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • valley ranch
    valley ranch Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hahahaha This takes the cake. If only I had known! My 11 year old L16 battery bank could have been made like new again for only $5. All I had to do was fill them with a mixture of baking soda and water! Hahahahahahaha Oh, and make sure you cover the "fins" , then drain it and refill with pickling salt. lol
    Sad thing is, many people will get sucked in by this idiot.

This is a joke, right? I have used Epson Salts.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

It is a joke. There is no way to rejuvenate a dead battery.
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭

Obviously, I had way too much time on my hands today. I took time to both watch the video, AND read some of the replies. Here is one I feel is relevant to those of you in colder climates. Wayne, I am quite sure you would benefit from this too. See quote below: :D:D:D
    I wonder if there would be any adverse effects from adding some ethylene glycol (anti-freeze) to the solution just to be sure it won't freeze bad enough to rip apart the plates.

To Clarify: This post was meant purely as a humorous reply to Wayne's original post in this thread. It was, in no way, meant to be taken seriously by anyone reading this thread.
    Paul
  • BB.

DO NOT ADD ANYTHING TO BATTERIES OTHER THAN DISTILLED WATER... THEY ARE FULL OF A VERY STRONG SULFURIC ACID + WATER SOLUTION. ADDING ANYTHING ELSE COULD LEAD TO AN EXPLOSION AND SPRAY ACID ALL OVER YOUR EYES/FACE/SKIN (besides, usually, ruining the battery).

I have no idea what would happen if you add some form of glycol to a lead acid battery cell--But I am pretty sure it will ruin the battery.

There are a few additives you can buy that may or may not "help" a battery. And I have heard that adding Epson Salts is something that may extend the life of a dieing battery--I have know idea if it helps ore not, or even if it is dangerous or not. In general, you should not add anything--But do your research and decide if it worth the risk to you or not.

Just a generic warning that a person needs to treat a battery with respect.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada

Hahaha I tend to see the funny side of things, and when I first came across that outlandish, out to lunch video, I shared it assuming others would also see the funny and crazy side of it, have a laugh and thus perhaps brighten their day. Many readers have seen the comical side, realizing the video was produced by a nut case, but unfortunately a few don't have the same sense of humour, and have unfortunately taken the topic too seriously, possibly steering some in the wrong direction and bringing the reputation of this forum into question. For that I am sorry and therefore ask that if the Moderators see fit - - to please delete this thread for the greater good.
    Oh, and ILFE, I enjoyed your comical post. :D
    Wayne
  • ILFE

@ BB: Sorry about that. My post was PURELY meant in humor.

@ Wayne: Thanks. I'll be here all week. :D
    Paul
  • ILFE
    BB. wrote: »
    DO NOT ADD ANYTHING TO BATTERIES OTHER THAN DISTILLED WATER...

Here in Cambodia, they sell de-ionized water for flooded batteries. Apparently, while it isn't exactly the same thing, the processes are similar?
    Paul
  • BB.

It is OK to leave up--Just wanted to make sure people understand that we are not suggesting people follow any of the "solutions" link to. English is not everyone's first language here (hmm--what is my excuse :blush:. English is my first/only language--barely) and humor (I find) does not always translate well.

In theory, deionized water is the same as distilled water--Just uses a different process.

Water Deionization Process Explained

While distillation should remove all the unwanted stuff in the water, deionization only removes charged particles and leaves organics (bacteria, chunks of wood, gasoline/oils/etc. behind) and needs a good water source plus mechanical filtering too.

Even rain water from a (clean) roof can be used too directly in batteries.

Since deionization filters become used up, you should get/make a TDS meter (total dissolved solids) to detect minerals/ions in the water output to make sure your water is still good.

http://www.tdsmeter.com/what-is
    Amazon--Some basic TDS meters

-Bill
  • ILFE
    Even rain water from a (clean) roof can be used too directly in batteries.

Cool. I have, quite literally, thousands of liters of rainwater. any larger contaminants are separated and filtered before the water goes into the storage tanks. That's how we get our domestic use water at the farm.

Since deionization filters become used up, you should get/make a TDS meter (total dissolved solids) to detect minerals/ions in the water output to make sure your water is still good.

I buy it by the case. It is actually de-ionized at a plant in Thailand. I have thought of having one sent over from the states, though.
    Paul
  • BB.

Purchased water is probably the better choice.

But if you can filter your rain water (would collecting from a "metal roof" be bad?) well and use a TDS meter to confirm the water is "OK" (to a first approximation)--May be worth the savings from buying water--Although if you kill the bank due to water issues, that is not a real savings.

You can buy small resin based deionizers--Couple that with clean rain water, you probably would do OK:

http://www.ameriwater.com/products/industrial/silex%E2%84%A2-deionizers/

I believe the resin filters are only "depleted" if there are ions in the water (assuming a good mechanical pre-filter)--So you should not need cartridge replacements very often.

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

The main concern with non-distilled water other than particulate matter is that the pH is not always neutral. If you've ever tried drinking distilled water you'll know it tastes of nothing - very blah. Most all water, even rainwater, has a pH either higher or lower than 7. Processed drinking water often has trace amounts of calcium in it to make it palatable, and slightly alkaline.

Obviously then if the water you add is above or below neutral it will alter the acidity of the electrolyte. You'll never get the SG right after you do that.

Pouring stuff into the cells is not going to remove the hard sulphation or reverse plate erosion and oxidation. It in fact has a very high probability of doing further damage rather than fixing anything.

But snake oil continues to be sold in vast amounts to the gullible who read comics during science class instead of paying attention to the teacher. ;)
  • waynefromnscanada

Snake oil continues to be sold in vast amounts to the gullible who read comics during science class instead of paying attention to the teacher. ;)

WOW! Coot I'm proud of ya man! That's the best description I've ever come across, of so many of the worlds problems! And so very true!