charger comparison

Options
Stdyhand
Stdyhand Solar Expert Posts: 33
I've been looking at the Morningstar tristar 60 amp mppt controller and the midnite classic 150. Which of these two is recommended more?

I'll be using 1500-2000 watt array. Charge controller and inverter is still on the table. I'll likely be using a 48 volt 450 AH battery bank and the Iota charger to run off a generator.

I've done some reading, but I don't know if what I've read is still the case or if the technology has improved. Some information goes back a few years. The Morningstar controller appears to be more efficient, but the MN Classic seems to be better for expansion later. Unless I read it wrong, both have firmware that can be upgraded in the field.

Are one of these more "user friendly" than the other when it comes to the programming? When the time comes to install this system I'll be doing it myself so the longer it takes to get it up and running smoothly the longer I'll be without power, except for the generator which I would prefer to run as little as possible.

This will all be in an off grid environment at first and everything will likely be ran directly off the inverter until we get our house built.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: charger comparison

that may depend on who gives the opinion. both are well known and one cannot presuppose you would prefer one or the other. the solution may be in your reading the manuals for both and make up your own mind.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am rapidly loosing faith in Morningstar. They have outsourced their tech support to somebody else. (and they have a broken web page submission form) My replacement MPPT60 is acting wonky, with a 45 minute programmed absorb time, I've been getting insane 200+ minutes in absorb, and some days, 45 minutes. not a major item with NiFe cells, but it makes them drink lots of water. Still no reply from MS.
    When Array #2 goes in, it's going to get a Classic 200.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

sorry to hear of your trouble mike. classic is good. i guess that answers the op's question.
  • Jakachira
    Jakachira Solar Expert Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Options

Morningstar MPPT TS-60 is good and simple to use. I have not used classic before but TS-60 is a well-made MPPT charge controller with onboard web-server to monitor everything remotely or on internet. It must be cheaper than classic too if i am not mistaken. It also handles cooling very well and very high efficiency with low self-consumption. Easy to program with accessible switches. Good one, I must say. I also have developed a custom web application to access all parameters remotely through internet.

It all comes down to what you prefer after reading the manuals.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

Personally, I like large heat sinks and no fans (fan motors are usually a weak point in any system--Fans have a limited life due to eventual bearing failure).

Also if you are in a dusty/dirty environment, you can pull dust into the electrical section--Get a bit of condensation and you can get shorts/failures.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    Options

Till my tristar started acting up, I was happy with it. Fairly easy and programmable, easy to monitor, but the replacement unit acting up, unable to contact MS, and the hidden features I've found in the internal firmware (the reported low voltage, is not the same low voltage used in the absorb algorithm). 200 minute absorb times, when I call for 45 min max, would really fry a lead acid bank.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• mike95490
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Till my tristar started acting up, I was happy with it. Fairly easy and programmable, easy to monitor, but the replacement unit acting up, unable to contact MS, and the hidden features I've found in the internal firmware (the reported low voltage, is not the same low voltage used in the absorb algorithm). 200 minute absorb times, when I call for 45 min max, would really fry a lead acid bank.

Whoops - I've got to retract some of that - looks like I had "Float Inhibit If Batteries Really Low" enabled, and that gave me my 217 absorb event. And maybe some intermittent cloud cover may have fooled the timer and gave me the 62 and 80 minute absorbs.
    Some backchannel comms indicate that tech support was swamped over the holiday, and that my tech support request was somehow qued up regardless of the error message that was returned to me.