What size charger do I need?

znate
znate Registered Users Posts: 11
I have 4 Crown cr325 batteries wired in a 24 volt bank. If the manufacturer says to charge with 36-40 amps would that mean the Iota Engineering DLS 27-40 24 Volt 40 Amp charger would be a good match?
I'm a bit confused about how to size a charger when the batteries are hooked up in a battery bank.

Here's the battery info
http://www.crownbattery.hu/datasheets/CR-325.pdf

Heres the charger
http://www.solar-electric.com/ioen40amp24v.html

Thanks

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: What size charger do I need?
    znate wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about how to size a charger when the batteries are hooked up in a battery bank.

The batteries need 36-40 amps net, after loads. Will there be any loads on the system while you are charging? --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • znate

No I don't believe so as I'll be using the power from the generator direct.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    What size Generator ?? That charger will pull a lot of amps on start up, it has a huge inrush. Great charger, but it has a few quirks.
  • znate

I actually don't know for sure, I'll have to check but it's probably around 3500 watts or larger. It's one of those cheap gas units from crappy tire. My dad bought it years ago and has never used it. It's on loan to me till I get my own.

What sort of quirks?
  • Blackcherry04
    I actually don't know for sure, I'll have to check but it's probably around 3500 watts or larger. It's one of those cheap gas units from crappy tire. My dad bought it years ago and has never used it. It's on loan to me till I get my own.

What sort of quirks?
    That should do it. A quirk would be the in-rush. Other than that it's strong and will output it's rated power hour after hour. I'd get the plain one and buy the IQ-4 plug in module, it gives you more options. If you ran it long term on grid, one quirk is the charging algorithm runs a full 7 hour cycle every 7 days. All I can say , It works, different, weird, but it works, It'll keep your SG's right where they need to be.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

What sort of quirks?

I run that same exact IOTA charger on a Champion 3500/4000 generator and it works well, however, don't expect to run much of anything else from the generator at the same time. For example, in my case, with the charger on, my full sized energy efficient fridge just barely starts (generator almosts stalls) and if I have more than a couple hundred other watts running at the same time when the fridge tries to start it will stall the generator/pop the breaker.

But it does seem to be the best stand-alone charger out there despite the quirks.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Will there be any loads on the system while you are charging? --vtMaps

What I meant is do you have any loads on the battery (such as an inverter or a DC refrigerator or pump)?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • marsofold
    marsofold Solar Expert Posts: 45 ✭✭

My Iota DLS-90 died a few weeks ago the same way that my 1st Iota (DLS-75) did. A loud bang at the center of it, and it worked no more. Roughly two years on each before they died. I might look into finding a repair man, but I won't ever again buy an Iota product.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was the inrush surge preventer. They heat up quite rapidly and therefor have a lot of thermal stress. And then the go boom. It keeps the house lights from dimming when you first turn it on. They sent me a free replacement part when mine went, and it's been fine for a while.

It's tough to regulate high AC surge currents into a empty capacitor bank.

If mine goes out again, I'm going to built it a "fuse saver" an incandescent light (300W) wired in series with the charger, and a bypass switch for the light. Plug the charger in, the light limits amps into the caps, and then bypass the lamp to feed full power to the charger.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Blackcherry04
    marsofold wrote: »
    My Iota DLS-90 died a few weeks ago the same way that my 1st Iota (DLS-75) did. A loud bang at the center of it, and it worked no more. Roughly two years on each before they died. I might look into finding a repair man, but I won't ever again buy an Iota product.
    It's got a 2 year warranty, send it back. They have repaired them for many people. What are you going to buy to replace it ?? I hear the Xanterx Truecharge2 is good. $500 for a 60 Amp, Ouch !!
  • marsofold
    marsofold Solar Expert Posts: 45 ✭✭
    What are you going to buy to replace it ?
    Either an Outback inverter/charger ($1700), or a ($275) dumb charger on a timer such as a K Tool 74325 BATTERY CHARGER

(http://www.jbtoolsales.com/k-tool-74325-portable-battery-charger-100-80-amp-550-amp-boost-for-6-or-12-volt-batteries-1-hour-timer-usa/)

Mods please delete the above link if any rules were broken. Does Iota do repairs for their stuff out of warranty if one is willing to pay a reasonable fee?
  • Blackcherry04
    Either an Outback inverter/charger ($1700), or a ($275) dumb charger on a timer such as a K Tool 74325 BATTERY CHARGER

(http://www.jbtoolsales.com/k-tool-74325-portable-battery-charger-100-80-amp-550-amp-boost-for-6-or-12-volt-batteries-1-hour-timer-usa/)

Mods please delete the above link if any rules were broken. Does Iota do repairs for their stuff out of warranty if one is willing to pay a reasonable fee?
    Sounds like good choices, Want to sell the 2 IOTA's as is ?? Sounds like you don't want to have them repaired. I have customers that would like to have one.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

That's pretty strange. My original 55 is still running today and it is almost 8 years old now. My other 2 are going strong after almost 2 years. And I know of at least 10-12 more that people around me have been using for 7+ years and never had any issues. But every situation is different. And I did hear that at some point they started having them made in Chine. All mine are the ones from before the China days.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html