Options
2»

Comments

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Seeking help with off grid cabin
    znate wrote: »
    I like that idea. Could I set it up so that when the 24v batteries are full the extra power would feed another charge controller that would charge the 12 volt bank?

You can do something like that. A few ways to do it:

1) Use an aux output of the charge controller to close a relay (or enable a converter) and begin charging. On the Flexmax 80 you could use the aux output set to "float" (i.e. turns on when the 24V bank is floating.)

2) Use a voltage sensor to turn on the DC/DC when you hit a certain voltage. This does not require a charge controller and is fairly simple to implement, but does not allow a 'full' absorption phase before switching over to charging the 12V battery. However, once the 12V battery is fully charged the system will finish absorb and float as it would normally.

However the above is not essential. Once the 12V battery is charged the current to it will go to zero and the 24V battery will finish charging.

For the converter itself you have several options:

1) A second MPPT controller. Ideal but expensive. Make sure it will handle 12V out.
    2) A simple DC/DC. Will not give you multistage charging but if this is short term that's not too important. A MeanWell SD-200B-12 is about $70 and will give you 200 watts at 12 volts (you probably want to set it at 13.8 volts though.)
    3) No extra battery. At those low powers (300 watts) you can just connect the inverter to the lower 12V bank of batteries. If you do this you must actively balance the pack. Vanner makes a 12V/24V pack balancer for $200.

Links below

https://www.altestore.com/forums/index.php/topic,1985.msg7534.html#msg7534

http://www.bravoelectro.com/sd-200b-12.html?gclid=CP3_l6zNrbsCFdJcfgod_UQAVA
    Is there a dump load type circuit built into charge controllers that could be used to feed the second controller?

That mode is called "diversion" on the Flexmax 80. It should also work but the 24V battery will not be fully charged when it engages.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's going to be a pretty posh "cabin" and very pricey.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I am not talking about a 3X overbuild or a 4X overbuild: I'm talking about sizing a battery bank so that it doesn't go dead quickly. For 90% of the batteries used this means you automatically lose 1/2 the calculated capacity because regularly discharging to less than 50% capacity is murder on batteries. That gives you 50% capacity to work with, and if you divide the average consumption over two days you get 25% DOD. The remaining 25% capacity provides one "no sun day" of energy and on the third day of clouds you start the generator. This also allows the most efficient use of generator capacity.

PV array has to be sized to charge the whole battery, regardless of SOC, and the shortcut of basing peak current on 10% capacity works most of the time. In some areas you'd want even more, due to less-than-perfect insolation. Cutting it down to the minimum battery manufacturer's recommended 5% is asking for trouble as it doesn't account for concurrent loads and will not charge the batteries sufficiently in the hours of daylight available (which should be based on minimum sun, not maximum).

My advice is based on my experience and includes a lot of repairing of systems designed by people who didn't do the calculation right in the first place.

I have seen people (including Bill, who does not have an off-grid system) advise on the basis of "three days with no sun" which is impractical because you end up with more panel and battery than you need.
    I have seen people advise on the basis of panels producing 100% of their rated power, which they don't.
    I have seen people advise on the basis of 100% system efficiency, which doesn't exist in the real world.
    I have in fact seen people give out a lot of really bad advise which results in system with no margin for error or variation in operating conditions.

And then I have to fix their messes. Some of these are "professional installers" who in fact have only a vague understanding of what they are doing based on being able to connect wires together and have it work momentarily. I wouldn't trust them to change a light bulb. Whereas my success rate is 100%, even with seemingly hopeless situations.

You can improve over-all efficiency with certain management techniques, but you must be able to adapt your usage to them. Until you know whether or not this can be done on an individual system it is better to err on the side of caution.

The two biggest mistakes repeated over and over are insufficient panels for charging the amount of batteries and insufficient batteries for supplying power for the loads.

The sun does not shine brightly all the time.

P.S.: I'm getting sick of people derailing threads of newcomers with bad advise and off-topic discussions.

You'all better listen to Coot or you'll be sitting in the dark trying to get a couple of hamsters to run faster on the wheel. I was looking at my solar production after going through 11 days of darkness and producing 49 KWH on a 8.2 kw system. In 2012 I did 12,024 KWH for the year, I am on track to finish out 2013 at a huge net loss at 10,243 KWH with 16 days to go. I looked back over the daily and monthly production and it was all weather related that started last spring. Where it use to be 1-2 days of low production, it would be 3-4 days. The only way to fool mother nature is to build the extra in and figure some ways to use the extra power when you don't need it.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

As BC04 says, the solar data estimates are really only within +/- 10% at best... You can have a good +10% one year and a -10% next year (based on winter--let alone if you have a hardware fault somewhere). And our own energy usage can vary by 20% easily.

I still do calculations suggesting 1-3 days (plus 50% maximum discharge) for off grid system storage--But after doing a bunch of sample calculations, I agree with Marc/Cariboocoot that his 2 days and 50% discharge maximum (4 x Daily Energy Usage) is usually the "optimum" solution. It is big enough to carry through a couple days of no-sun, and the bank is large enough to supply typical starting surge (well pump motor, etc.). Plus, the batteries are charged quickly by solar (or backup genset) to avoid early battery death by sulfation.

And just plan on using a genset for the days when the sun don't shine. On my GT system, I have seen a few days of "dark weather" were the array outputs only ~5% of its full sun capabilities. You can build an array 10x larger and still only get 50% of your average load support (with solar) during those times.

Plan on using the genset and/or dramatically reducing your loads during longer periods of poor weather. Or you can try a wind turbine--But I would only do that as the last step of building out your off grid system (I am not a fan of small wind).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • znate
    znate Registered Users Posts: 11
    Options

Thanks for all the help so far.

Will something like this work to monitor my batteries?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-120V-300A-Volt-Amp-Combo-Meter-Battery-Charge-Discharge-Indicator-With-Shunt-/181282526583?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3547d577
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    znate wrote: »

It will tell you voltage and load (or charging rate). But because the battery voltage "sags" under load, to get a true "State of Charge" reading, you have to check the voltage after the battery has been resting with no loads or charging, for a couple hours. Then the voltage can indicate the state of the battery charge. There are fancy battery "Fuel Gauges" that sort of interprets the varied readings, averages the + - amps, and gives a pretty good guess as to the absolute state of charge.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,