Can I duplicate your system?????

Options
I'm so tired of reading opinions, reading spec sheets and spam blood is shooting from my eyes. So, I thought I'd try this. Who knows how to do this better than someone that already gone down this road, made the mistakes and has the pasion?

I've recording my on the grid power usage now for several years in anticipation of moving off Grid. Now that its time, and i've started doing some research I have absolutely no idea what to do or how to really be comfortable knowing that I'm buying the most efficient system as well as the correct size.

About the size, on average for the last 4 years, my power consumption has been 480 kwh/month. Now keep in mind, this is in Alabama using AC much of the time. I'm moving to Etna Wyoming. Heating will be Propane and probably little to no AC. However, that might be offset by a 130' deep well. ???

What I'd really like to do, is see photos of other systems equivalent to my needs, then plagiarize my pants off!

If anyone out there has a system that they wouldnt mind sharing the design with me, I'd surely appreciate it.

VR-Sandy

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Can I duplicate your system?????

If you're going to base your new system on 480 kW hours per month I hope you're moving to a gold mine because that's 16 kW hours per day and that is not going to be cheap/easy to produce in Wyoming.

Hence the mantra "conservation, conservation, conservation".

A/C is a big power user of course. A well pump will use much less than that. In short, you're walking into a completely different power usage pattern. Is there no grid where you are going? Grid is handy; it never runs out of power.

Otherwise, get the eye bandages ready because you are going to have to list everything you want to use, measure it with a Kill-A-Watt in typical use conditions (leave out the A/C).

Keep in mind that most of us off-grid use less than 1/4 of that 16 kW hours per day.
  • ezeflier
    ezeflier Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

there is grid power available, but at the $12K costs. My thought is if I have to spend 12K for power, I need to seriously look at this option. (and conserve!) I've seen some 5kw systems in the $13K range, but not yet comfortable buying off the shelf. Thus, I thought if someone else had a system in my size range, maybe I'd learn something!

Now for the gold mine thing, are you thinking that $12K is not realistic for this size system? And, dang the luck, no gold mine on my property. (but will go double check!)
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Let's see. 16kW hours per day in Wyoming? That's like 8kW of panels so there's $8,000+ right there, plus $2,000 to $4,000 for an inverter (depending on the loading) and about 1200-1300 Amp hours @ 48 Volts of battery which will run $8,000 to $10,000 all on its own. Oh, and two $600 charge controllers, plus combiners, breakers, wiring, and mounting hardware.

I think the grid hook-up looks really cheap at $12,000 with unlimited power and someone else having to worry about keeping it going.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ezeflier wrote: »
    are you thinking that $12K is not realistic for this size system?

What size system? How many kwh per day? If you use as much power as you have in the past, most of the $12k will go for batteries.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options

If you want to do off grid you'll have plenty of sunshine in WY for much of the year but winter will be tough. Much of Wyoming is actually good wind power territory (unlike most of the country). So you may want to investigate that as a supplement to PV IF you do decide to go off grid. All it takes is money.....
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

How about considering grid tie? About half the cost of off grid and monthly costs can be near zero with a proper net metering plan, but then remember you will need the $12K hookup.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

spend the $$ for the grid connection, and a modest sized backup generator (you will be at the end of the line and last to get repaired)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

For Grid Tie--You need to make sure your utility will allow/support GT solar+Billing... Many smaller co-op utilities appear to not allow GT solar.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    If you use as much power as you have in the past, most of the $12k will go for batteries.

--vtMaps

Oh, and we forgot one small detail - - - if you look after your batteries really, really well - - - they'll only have to be replaced every 5 to 7 years.
    I much prefer the idea of having to only install a $350. panel somewhere on my roof, then sitting back enjoying the total elimination of energy costs for the rest of my life. :D
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    I much prefer the idea of having to only install a $350. panel somewhere on my roof, then sitting back enjoying the total elimination of energy costs for the rest of my life. :D

Yes, that is a nice idea.
    Has anyone managed to get it to work yet? :roll: