D/C hydro pump size

GreenPowerManiac
GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
Anyone know a good D/C 12v pump strong enough for 13' total head pressure and about 200' of 1/2" pex line ?
Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: D/C hydro pump size
    Anyone know a good D/C 12v pump strong enough for 13' total head pressure and about 200' of 1/2" pex line ?

How good? There are a wide range of pumps and qualities. Some pumps can be run dry, some pumps are more tolerant of silt and sand, some are more efficient, come are continuous duty, some are submersible, some can be run solar-direct without a battery, etc.

What is your application?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • GreenPowerManiac

Geothermal. 20 gallon drum of RV coolant. 1/2" pex lines 200', 7' underground lines, 160' of that. 6' rise above tank.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

This pump should be able to do it. I pump the pink stuff 80 ft @ 60 psi with it. Usually with a pump like this it's the suction lift that limits you, It'll push 100 time's farther than it can lift. While they are self priming, it's best to help them by filling the line a little, once they are wet, they'll take off. A dry pump never works all that good.

http://www.energybay.org/aquatec-550-pressure-pump-12vdc
  • GreenPowerManiac

Got anything with about 40 lbs head pressure?
  • Blackcherry04
    Got anything with about 40 lbs head pressure?
    It's got a allen screw on the controller and you can set it what ever you want. It's the only pump that know thats adjustable. At this price you can't be picky. I think they come adjusted to about 40 psi, I run most of mine at 80 psi to flush jet toilets on boats.
  • GreenPowerManiac

K. Only need 20 psi.
  • Blackcherry04
    K. Only need 20 psi.
    I have no clue if it'll go that low with the pump switch, but you could add a separate pressure switch that would do that. Of course that switch might cost you more than a $76 dollar pump.

Are you talking about a DC circulator pump ?? Thats a whole different animal. I'd use a 120V and a small inverter. Forget the DC.

http://solar-catalog.com/pumps_circulating.html#DC_CIRCULATOR_PUMPS

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Circulation-Pump-Topsflo-15PV/dp/B005EU7ONM

http://www.thesolar.biz/dc_hot_water_circulating_pumps.htm
  • GreenPowerManiac

First one too big.
    2nd one already have and inadequate.
    3rd one too expensive.
    The first idea should be fine.
    Will try that
  • Blackcherry04

Ok, I'v built several geothermal / hydronic type systems over the years from 10 gallons to over 1000. Generally if your having pumping issues there is a air lock somewhere. Once the pump is flooded and the piping is full ( no air ) the head pressure goes away. I currently have a 60 gallon closed loop system with 2 hot water heaters ( one gas, one electric ) and a circulator pump and a hydronic coil in the duct to assist a air / air Heat Pump . Good Luck to you on your project.
  • GreenPowerManiac

With the topsflow pump got lots of air at first and some trickle coolant then stopped. Won't start moving again until after 20 pounds.
    Head pressure feet calculates to 38 total. Am assuming it'll work effortlessly when lines purged.
  • Blackcherry04
    With the topsflow pump got lots of air at first and some trickle coolant then stopped. Won't start moving again until after 20 pounds.
    Head pressure feet calculates to 38 total. Am assuming it'll work effortlessly when lines purged.
    Thats how I do them. I make a 3 way valve set up and install a pressure pump 12 V to purge them. Marine A/C's have that same issue every time you go out you'll get air in them as the boat moves over the water and so I set up a permanent pump to fill them back up or suck the air out. I think you'll be ok then, no promises. It can surprise you how little air it can be, a shot glass full will stop one.
  • GreenPowerManiac

Just bought one of those aquatec pumps.

I'll try and use it on my loop field to purge that too. 4200' length with 3/4" lines.