Motor, Generator, Alternator For Home Project

xyciana
xyciana Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi,

Firstly I have to apologise because I am a novice when it comes to understanding motors. I just cannot get my head around what I need and unfortunately I am on a very low budget which is less than £50.00 or $70.00. No mater how much reading I do I cannot get my head around Volts, Ohms, HP, etc. The motor is going to charge a 12V leisure battery which in turn will power some outside lights (max 800W).

I am midway through a home wind turbine project and have come stuck with purchase of a motor. I have seen motors on Ebay and I've been told that I need 24V or 12V, low RPM, ideally 150RMP - 300RPM. I obviously cannot afford to buy a new motor and have it shipped to the UK at cost of approx. £150. Can someone advise what other types of motors I can purchase that will work as good generators and what to look out for. Any links would be really appreciated. For example is a geared motor similar to this link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271325482092 any good?

For info. My plan is as below

NYP = Not Yet Purchased

Turbine (Built & working well)-> Motor (stuck!) -> 24V DC to 12V DC reducer (Purchased) -> DC Charge Controller (NYP) -> Battery (NYP) -> 1200W Inverter (NYP) -> Lights

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Re: Motor, Generator, Alternator For Home Project

What you need is not a motor, but alternator.

Motor converts electricity to motion.
    Alternator converts motion to electricity.

Some motors can be used as alternators, but that is generally not a good idea.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you want is an "axial flux alternator" try Hugh Piggott's blog . Scoraig Wind scoraigwind.co.uk
    plans http://scoraigwind.com/axialplans/index.htm
    http://scoraigwind.com/nirvana/index.htm 4kw alternator !
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

I have to agree with mike, I have built two hugh piggot turbines. I found them fun to build and although I am not that happy with the production (20 kwh for the month of nov.) they still work better then all my experments with other motors and cieling fans and such. I do have a fisher and packel smart drive washing machine motor to try but my intuition is hugh's turbines will still work better due to 0 cogging. My low production probly has more to do with me being cheep and building an older free plan model rather then building his new models and following his plans religiously. My advice is unless you know what changes to the design will actually cause, it is better to follow them closely. That is just my two cents.
    Good luck
    gww
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

Would seriously junk the idea of a D/C motor anything. They run hot and wear out fast. Today's market for turbines follows this path and thus makes them just as unreliable for the price.

Modified alternator is the best way to go. Sure there's a cheap equivalent over there. Buy an alternator and rewind the stator coil with 20-24 gauge coated copper wire for starters (larger gauge is for higher voltage production). May want to go with a 24v PMA, yet higher voltage means higher $$ to build, bigger inverter 24v, 24v charge controller and need 2 batteries in series.

Then get a Rare Earth (Neodymium magnet disc) about 3" diameter and 1/2" thick. This goes in between the solid rotor lobes. You'll have to press them out of the main shaft. Remember to mark them first for location. Most of the alternator guts you don't need. Rotor, Coil, and both housing bearings are only needed. Save the Diode (rectifier) for later.

We're keeping the alternator at 3 phase A/C so much thinner wires can be used. Mine are 14 gauge that go about 75' (25 meters). The Diode is placed not 2-3' (1 meter or less) from the battery(s). 4 wires go to the rectifier diode. 3 are the phases and one ground. From there to batts, + goes to Batt + and black goes to ground batt. Also use a couple(car type inline fuses with about 5-10amp blade fuse harnesses on the positive wires only). Get Deep cycle batts with at least 100 amp hours capacity. Hook them up in parallel and charge controller with good diversion load.

A PMA (Permanent Magnet Alternator) is all you need. Capable of producing 0-800 watts and up to 60 volts depending on wind velocity and around 10-15 amps. Already have 4 of them producing for 3 years now. Cost me about $400-500 to build one turbine approx. Have been happy ever since.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.