Reference books and books for beginners.

Shade
Shade Registered Users Posts: 23
Hi all I am Ron aka Shade. Shade is my name I use on internet forums, short
for Shade Tree Welding Services or Shade Tree Welder. Ironic to use on a solar
energy forum, but hey... I am a virgin to Solar Energy, so be gentle. I will be
completely revamping my home over the next few years and I want to include
low voltage power into the rebuild. I live in a very rural setting on a small hobby
farm. I work as a Chemist but was a welder (shipfitter) in the USN and ran a
welding and fab shop for a number of years. I am well versed in standard
residential AC power and what I will call light industrial 3 phase power, I have
several machine tools and welding equipment that run off of 3 phase power. I
have a rotary phase converter installed in my shop as 3 phase power is not
available in my area. So have basic electrical skills and understanding of AC
wiring. I have build both my shop and barn from scratch, only subbing out the
concrete and block work.

I have been looking around the internet, and this forum seems to be one of the
most knowledge and helpful I have read, so I registered this morning.

My main reason for a solar (PV) low voltage system is to be able to have as
normal a life/living conditions as possible if "the grid" etc. is no longer available,
for any reason. We routinely loose power for days being not only rural but at
the end of a long run from the substation. I am happy to discuss politics and
society issues with anyone, but let's do that in another thread, and yes you
could call me a pragmatic prepper.

I only have electrical power and phone lines running to my home, I am well and
septic, heat is wood and electric (no propane, NG or fuel oil), I have 8 acres,
surrounded by a few other homes with similar acreage and open farm fields. I
am in Central Illinois so flat (like a pool table) is the word for our geography. So
the only thing that I will miss is the power company, I hate the phone, cause
when it rings it is almost always a bother... :roll:

I main goal is to set up a system that will provide a nearly normal life style with
out the grid. I have plans for LV lighting, ceiling fans, appliances (mainly fridge
and freezers) fans for the wood stove and air circulation in the house, no ducts
in the house now but will be adding them in the renovation.

My questions right now what are the good books or references to start reading
up on, I am a book worm, so books are always great!

Thanks in advance,
Shade

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin
    Re: Reference books and books for beginners.

In the Working FAQ, there are lots of links and some reference books listed:
    BB. wrote: »
    Regarding Solar Books:

What's a Good Beginners Book?

From the above thread:
    FL SUN wrote: »
    This is a link to a PV textbook I find very informative. It was a requirement for the FL contractor's exam I took last month. It even has a very good interactive CD with a bunch of informative extras. A quick search on-line shows this book goes for about $75.00 USD everywhere.

Don't forget nothing compares to OJT when it comes to installation. It's always best to apply in the field what you've learned from a good textbook first.
    http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?show=HARDCVR W/COMP MEDIA:NEW:9780826912879:75.00
    TnAndy wrote: »
    Rick,

Here a good "textbook" on solar......it actually IS a textbook for some solar courses, and is set up that way with practice questions at the end of each chapter, but it's also a good self guide as to the basics of components and how they mesh together to make a system. Worth the money, IMHO.

Solar Book Here
    Some information on NEC and how it applies to solar power:

PV and the 2005 NEC -- Reference Document

And, of course, the NEC Code Book (current edition or version that is used by your locality).
    -Bill

PS: Our host also has a Book they recommend:

Book - The New Solar Electric Home

PPS: From another poster:
    KeithWHare wrote: »
    I recommend "Photovoltaics: Design and Installation Manual" from Solar Energy International. This does a pretty decent job of explaining everything except for battery banks.

Keith

PPPS: From another website, I saw this Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook recommended.

PPPPS:
    according to wikipedia once it is adopted into law by a particular govt agency it becomes public knowledge

http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/ga_electric.pdf

is one link

there are many more specific to certain states/cities here

http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/

May 26th, 2013:
    ChrisOlson wrote: »
    I always recommend Hugh's recipe book
    http://scoraigwind.com/axialplans/index.htm

It has the "plans" on how to build six different turbines. But Hugh also goes into the theory in explaining why the turbines are built the way they are, and it's written by a master that has spent most of his life working with wind power.

I don't know about the Otherpower book - I have only read excerpts of it and never the whole thing.
    --
    Chris

June 30th, 2013:
    ChrisOlson wrote: »
    Ed Lenz's website is probably the best resource for building a small microturbine. Ed has articles on there covering three-phase basics, along with several small windpower projects he has done, etc.
    http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/

--
    Chris

July 19th, 2013:
    A good manual on boat electrics is: Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems by Nigel Calder. Goes through all issues that you can be confronted with, including solar, wind and hydro power. Has considerable information on grounding and bonding in a boat. Approximately $36.00 on Amazon.com.

Cheers

Nominally, I suggest that we have a discussion here on the basics. It makes a lot of more sense to discuss "your needs" vs a generic discussion that covers such a wide range of subjects/power levels/options, that the details needed to design "your system" gets lost.

So--The rough order of things to do:
    1. Measure/quantify your loads (peak, average watts; energy use per day in Watt*Hours, etc.).
    2. Conservation, conservation, conservation. Insulation, new energy star appliances, turns stuff off when not in use, etc.
    3. Repeat #1 and #2.
    4. Define your needs... If the grid fails, do you need 100% of your pre-fail power usage? Or can you live with a lot less.
    5. Alternative fuels... Heating (home, hot water, cooking) with alternative fuels is usually cheaper than with solar+battery+generator
    6. Do a paper design (or three) for systems that meet your needs (don't pick hardware yet, just use rules of thumbs designs and decide which version will best meet your needs--Do some cost estimates--Costs are a huge issue with off grid solar--$/kWH pricing for off grid solar is around 10x the cost of utility power--You need to be very sure that every kwH you feed your loads is "cost effective").
    7. Pick hardware and review design results with your needs.
    8. You may wish to stage a roll out... a) genset, b) battery bank+Inverter/Charger, c) solar array etc...
    9. Monitoring... If you do not (or cannot) monitor your system (especially power usage and battery banks--weekly/monthly checks of water levels, sepecific gravity, electrical connections, state of charge, etc.)--You can end up with a ton of scrap lead in a few months (if not weeks or even days with a major "oops").
    10. Upkeep/repairs... Solar panels may last 20-40 years, but batteries may last 3-5 years for "cheap" ones, 8-10 years for expensive ones, and 15+ years for industrial traction batteries. Inverters, charge controllers, electronics--Plan on replacing every 10+ years, with possible repairs in the 10 year period.

So--On to step #1. Kill-a-Watt type meter for120 VAC loads... Whole house monitors for larger loads (TED or similar).

Welcome to the forum--Hope you have fun here.
    -Bill
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Shade wrote: »
    My main reason for a solar (PV) low voltage system is to be able to have as
    normal a life/living conditions as possible if "the grid" etc. is no longer available,
    for any reason. We routinely loose power for days being not only rural but at
    the end of a long run from the substation.

Welcome to the forum,
    What do you mean by "low voltage" when you write: "solar (PV) low voltage system"?

I think you need to develop a list of critical loads that you want to run on battery power when the grid is down. It is usually NOT cost effective to run electric heat, welding, clothes drier and other large loads from batteries. Consider a battery-inverter system for lights, radio, computer, and other light loads, and a generator for the big loads. A kill-a-watt meter would be a very good investment to help you decide what to run on batteries.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Shade

BB,

Thanks for the thorough reply.
    1.Measure/quantify your loads (peak, average watts; energy use per day in Watt*Hours, etc.).
    Will get started.
    2.Conservation, conservation, conservation. Insulation, new energy star appliances, turns stuff off when not in use, etc.
    I have teenagers... nuff said... I do have separate services to my shop and barn vs. my home so it does make monitoring a bit easier.
    3.Repeat #1 and #2.
    4.Define your needs... If the grid fails, do you need 100% of your pre-fail power usage? Or can you live with a lot less.
    We can live on a lot less, we as a family spend many hours outdoors so electric can be reduced to food refrigeration, lighting and air circulation. I am mainly looking at long term grid outages, weeks, months, etc. Short term is not an issue as I have a backup diesel welder/generator (11kW continuous) with 1200 gallons of diesel.
    5.Alternative fuels... Heating (home, hot water, cooking) with alternative fuels is usually cheaper than with solar+battery+generator
    Our primary heat is wood, generally I have between 10 and 30 cord split and stacked depending on the time of year. it has really kept the electric bills down in the winter versus when we first moved out here. We can also cook with wood and there are plans to improve that.
    6.Do a paper design (or three) for systems that meet your needs (don't pick hardware yet, just use rules of thumbs designs and decide which version will best meet your needs--Do some cost estimates--Costs are a huge issue with off grid solar--$/kWH pricing for off grid solar is around 10x the cost of utility power--You need to be very sure that every kwH you feed your loads is "cost effective").
    I will have a lot of question on that as I progress.
    7.Pick hardware and review design results with your needs.
    8.You may wish to stage a roll out... a) genset, b) battery bank+Inverter/Charger, c) solar array etc...
    I have main generator as mentions, Miller Trailblazer 302D (Kubota D722 engine with 11kW continuous) and fuel, also I have a small cheapy 3.5 kW for camping that runs on gas. But no bulk gasoline so that is only short term. We use it at deer camp.
    9.Monitoring... If you do not (or cannot) monitor your system (especially power usage and battery banks--weekly/monthly checks of water levels, specific gravity, electrical connections, state of charge, etc.)--You can end up with a ton of scrap lead in a few months (if not weeks or even days with a major "oops").
    10-4!
    10.Upkeep/repairs... Solar panels may last 20-40 years, but batteries may last 3-5 years for "cheap" ones, 8-10 years for expensive ones, and 15+ years for industrial traction batteries. Inverters, charge controllers, electronics--Plan on replacing every 10+ years, with possible repairs in the 10 year period.
    10-4!
  • Shade
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum,
    What do you mean by "low voltage" when you write: "solar (PV) low voltage system"?

I think you need to develop a list of critical loads that you want to run on battery power when the grid is down. It is usually NOT cost effective to run electric heat, welding, clothes drier and other large loads from batteries. Consider a battery-inverter system for lights, radio, computer, and other light loads, and a generator for the big loads. A kill-a-watt meter would be a very good investment to help you decide what to run on batteries.

--vtMaps

Low voltage to me means 12V or 24V DC. 24V seemed to be the better choice
    to me, does that make sense?

My LV system (at least in my mind right now) is for air circulation in the home,
    lighting and food refrigeration. Air circ. means just moving air around heat if via
    a wood stove in the center of the house, air circ. is to move air to outlying rooms,
    it is a small house 1250 sq feet now once I convert the garage to living space it
    will be 1600 square feet.

I am still learning, but so far, my thoughts are for my "necessary" loads ceiling
    fans, blower for duct work, either T-5 or T-8 fluorescent lighting, DC fridge and
    freezer(s) and DC well pump for water and power supplies to run computer. I am
    planning on running both AC and DC distribution systems and have my "necessary"
    loads to be DC appliances. I do not want to have to run an inverter to run needed
    AC appliances, you just loose too much power in the conversion. The AC can feed
    my DC system. But I do not plan or want to run the AC off the DC.

Does that make sense?
  • vtmaps
    I am planning on running both AC and DC distribution systems and have my "necessary" loads to be DC appliances. I do not want to have to run an inverter to run needed AC appliances, you just loose too much power in the conversion.

You may, or may not, be correct about that... inverters come in a wide range of efficiencies. Also, low voltage wiring has its own inefficiencies.

I've seen many situations where someone switches from 12 volt DC wiring to 120 volt AC, and gains overall efficiency.

Appliances, light bulbs, etc are generally cheaper and with better selection at 120 volts. Also DC voltage is not very stable... you may be running your 24 volt equipment anywhere from 23 to 31 volts, depending on where in the charge/discharge cycle you are. That's a high percentage range of voltages and not all DC stuff tolerates it very well.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.

I don't want to put the cart before the horse (measuring, conservation, planning)--But generators are one of those things that are (relatively) cheap to buy but can be dear to run...

Your 11 kW unit may run on 1-2 gallons of fuel per hour--And lightly loaded diesel (less than 40-60% or rated load -- another rule of thumb), they can wet stack, carbon, glaze cylinder walls, etc.).

Energy usage is highly personal... For me, I would love to have a battery bank+off grid AC inverter--But I have may be 2 hours of outage every few years. An off grid system does not make sense for me. Because, for the most part, I don't use a lot of power (natural gas for everything heating), a Honda eu2000i (1,600 watt) genset that will run 4-9+ hours on a gallon of fuel (1.6kW to ~400 watt) is great for me. Plus it is portable (for us, earthquakes can red tag a home--can't take the solar system with me). And I can use fuel from the cars or use my 20 gallons of stored fuel to cook and/or bug out. (and California is almost making fixed backup diesel gensets illegal out here due to pollution regulations).

But I live in a major metropolitan area with temperate weather conditions--So my needs (and failure modes) will be different that you.

In your cause, once you understand your "base power" needs--You might look for that (somewhat mythical) 3-4kW diesel genset, or a 2-4 kW genset to run on propane (if you have it) or even gasoline (don't know how cold it gets in winter for your area--Gasoline can be easier to start/run in very cold conditions vs diesel or propane).

Anyway--just part of the discussion.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Shade
    I don't want to put the cart before the horse (measuring, conservation, planning)--But generators are one of those things that are (relatively) cheap to buy but can be dear to run...

Your 11 kW unit may run on 1-2 gallons of fuel per hour--And lightly loaded diesel (less than 40-60% or rated load -- another rule of thumb), they can wet stack, carbon, glaze cylinder walls, etc.).

Energy usage is highly personal... For me, I would love to have a battery bank+off grid AC inverter--But I have may be 2 hours of outage every few years. An off grid system does not make sense for me. Because, for the most part, I don't use a lot of power (natural gas for everything heating), a Honda eu2000i (1,600 watt) genset that will run 4-9+ hours on a gallon of fuel (1.6kW to ~400 watt) is great for me. Plus it is portable (for us, earthquakes can red tag a home--can't take the solar system with me). And I can use fuel from the cars or use my 20 gallons of stored fuel to cook and/or bug out. (and California is almost making fixed backup diesel gensets illegal out here due to pollution regulations).

But I live in a major metropolitan area with temperate weather conditions--So my needs (and failure modes) will be different that you.

In your cause, once you understand your "base power" needs--You might look for that (somewhat mythical) 3-4kW diesel genset, or a 2-4 kW genset to run on propane (if you have it) or even gasoline (don't know how cold it gets in winter for your area--Gasoline can be easier to start/run in very cold conditions vs diesel or propane).

Anyway--just part of the discussion.

-Bill
    Thanks, I am very aware of engines and their limitations, both diesel and gas as well as long
    term storage of such fuels. I have actually several options for auxiliary power, PTO driven
    generators (I own 5 tractors, 3 gas, 2 diesel/4 antiques and one modern, the modern 2007
    New Holland is diesel). I also have a fully equipped machine/fab shop, less a set of powered
    rolls and a hydraulic press brake (still on the want list). I am zoned ag and as a result have
    separate electric services (meters) to my shop and my home both are 400 amp services, not
    that I will ever use 400 amps in the house, there is a story there involving a storm and very
    hungry Comed workers... And while I have never used 400 amps in the shop I have exceeded
    200 amps on many occasions, but I am not looking to run the shop off a PV system, I don't
    think I have enough acreage for all the PV panels needed for that application. I do not
    have natural gas, propane or "fuel oil" as options not do I want to add any of the above. I do
    have 900-1200 gallons of diesel fuel at any given time here, usually not much more than 20
    gallons of gasoline. Temps can be from 105F in the worse of the summer to -35F in the coldest
    part of the winter. I have what I need to cover both extremes. House is well insulated now
    but will be better after the renovation.

What I am looking to do is not a system to cover my butt for a day or two or even a week of
    outage; my generators will easily cover that for me now with what I have. What I want is a
    fully DC system that will provided me services for months or years if the grid goes down for
    a long time. Again I do not think this is the place for a socio-political discussion.

My view is to set up a DC system (right now I am leaning toward a 24V system) that will power
    necessary loads such ceiling fans, blowers, lighting, refrigeration and well pump all being DC;
    but this be an every day system up and running. Then have the "comfort" loads, dryer, hot
    water heater, microwave, TV, Play station (kids), baseboard electric heaters, etc. run off con-
    ventional 115/230V AC. Having both 115/230AC and 24VDC wiring in the house. Now if I can
    get any excess DC converted to AC and spin the meter backwards I would not be opposed to
    that either.

We raise organic foods now, chickens, beef, (considering hogs) and all kinds of fruits and veggies.
    We have 2 freezers and 2 split freezer fridge units now to keep all the food we harvest and hunt
    for now; I would like to over the next few years convert those to DC units, they are all AC right
    now. Not to mention shelves of canned, pickled and fermented foods.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

I am in a similar situation as yours - electrical service at end of long rural road with occasional extended power outages. I also share your concerns about extended grid failures in the future. A few points:

As BIll points out - You need a full accounting of the loads you expect to power.

As Vtmaps alludes to = A DC system may sound more efficient but in reality unless your are powering small loads a short distance from your battery bank (think motorhome) it is not the right choice.

Based on your description so far, you do not want to do a 24V system - trust me on that. 48V is what you will want - I suspect the regulars here with 24V systems will agree. These days the cost savings of a 24V inverter/battery bank is not enough to offset the loss of efficiency and extra copper costs, etc for anything but very small systems.

Take at look at my sig. My system powers a modern 3000 sq foot energy efficient home (Sans heat) with ave Daily loads totaling 5-8 kWh.
  • Shade
    mtdoc wrote: »
    I am in a similar situation as yours - electrical service at end of long rural road with occasional extended power outages. I also share your concerns about extended grid failures in the future. A few points:

As BIll points out - You need a full accounting of the loads you expect to power.
    On the top of the list.
    As Vtmaps alludes to = A DC system may sound more efficient but in reality unless your are powering small loads a short distance from your battery bank (think motorhome) it is not the right choice.
    I understand that DC does not transmit well over distances, I am a very experienced
    welder and understand the size copper needed for high current conductors So my
    plans on locating my Controls and load center are fairly central in my home, with that
    my extreme run, (and yes I am including the vertical distanced (walls) as well as
    horizontal runs as well) is 50 feet and that would be the ceiling fan/lighting in my
    master bedroom. Bigger loads like the refrigeration would be under 25 feet as would
    the blower in the duct work. My house is an L shaped ranch and the DC load center
    would be in the inside corner of the L.
    Based on your description so far, you do not want to do a 24V system - trust me on that. 48V is what you will want - I suspect the regulars here with 24V systems will agree. These days the cost savings of a 24V inverter/battery bank is not enough to offset the loss of efficiency and extra copper costs, etc for anything but very small systems.
    This is why I am here, I do completely understand that P=VI, and wire size is dictated
    by current. I also am the type that if 3 gauge is code but borderline for what I will
    running off it I have no issue with running 2 gauge. That is what I did do for my 100
    service to my TIG Welder, and now you know why I have a 400 amp service to my
    shop, and that is only one of the 2 welders I have that is not counting the air compressor
    machine tools, plasma cutter, lighting, fans, etc... I digress...

Cost of copper while I do not want to waste money I have no issue with spending extra
    on wire as it will out last my lifetime, I am 46. Something like PV panels, I will have to
    replace at least once before I die, Inverter/controls a couple of times, batteries several
    times. I read in another thread about using cheaper batts on your first bank so you can
    gain experience with a minimized cost before you really get into higher cost batts; I like
    that idea. I do look at lifetime costs.

Now most of the appliances I have seen, and I have not exhaustively looked, seem to
    be for 24V system. If I go with 48V distribution are there appliances that come in that
    voltage or are they like a lot of 3 phase equipment where you can wire accordingly?

Or can you wire it up like the typical 115/230 center tap AC residential system where you
    would have a +24V leg a -24V leg and a neutral leg, and where you need 48V you use the
    + and - legs or with DC does that not work with chassis grounds? (I am learning DC)
    Take at look at my sig. My system powers a modern 3000 sq foot energy efficient home (Sans heat) with ave Daily loads totaling 5-8 kWh.
    Thanks.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

Whats your issue exactly with using an inverter? Im kind of known around here as 'Mr DC', but what you are talking about doing sounds a tad batty. I would have said a big XW like Chris Olsen / Northguy have, 48v surrettes/trojans or whatever, and dont look back. Those inverters have great generator support. The fact that your doing all this as an option to the grid means you have money to spend, hence the XW pricetag shouldnt hurt, much.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• vtmaps
    I do completely understand that P=VI

That's true in the world of DC. With AC, that is not true except for resistive loads.
    Or can you wire it up like the typical 115/230 center tap AC residential system where you
    would have a +24V leg a -24V leg and a neutral leg, and where you need 48V you use the
    + and - legs or with DC does that not work with chassis grounds? (I am learning DC)

If you try to center tap your battery bank you will bring ruin down upon your batteries. You will need a DC to DC converter. 'Solar Converters' and others make them. Better yet, get an inverter and forget about the DC stuff.

--vtMaps
  • Shade
    zoneblue wrote: »
    Whats your issue exactly with using an inverter? Im kind of known around here as 'Mr DC', but what you are talking about doing sounds a tad batty. I would have said a big XW like Chris Olsen / Northguy have, 48v surrettes/trojans or whatever, and dont look back. Those inverters have great generator support. The fact that your doing all this as an option to the grid means you have money to spend, hence the XW pricetag shouldnt hurt, much.
    I make a decent buck and have other income as well, so you are correct, money well spent
    is not a huge issue; and no I am not independently wealthy. I do as much as I can myself,
    I am handy and not afraid to work. Bartering is also a great way to trade off skills. Okay
    here is the part, many of you may roll you eyes at, I am a prepper. Well, I did not want to
    get this started...

Let's just say I don't expect the "grid" to be around for a long, long, time. So my thoughts
    on what I have read/discussed is you are better off with a straight DC system if you are off
    the grid. So my thoughts were build a dual AC and DC system in the house. Pure DC for
    the SHTF situation with the have to have loads and the AC for the nice to have loads. I still
    plan on an inverter for as long as the grid is available but I want a system that is set up for
    several years of no grid at all. I will still have an Inverter as I am not against selling power
    back to ComEd but I want to be able to husband every watt, amp and volt I can just in case
    the "poop" does hit the fan. Before I was a prepper, I have at my low level of diesel fuel I have
    40 days of fuel for my generator and 50 days when both tanks are full, if I run the generator
    24/7. If the SHTF I would like to be able to only run the generator when I need to weld,
    machine or build something and not for day to day living. You have to remember I was in
    the Navy in Engineering, everything had redundancy built into it, I still like redundancy.
    That's true in the world of DC. With AC, that is not true except for resistive loads.
    \
    All welding loads are essentially resistive, I am a welder... :roll: Old sea dog new trick thingy...
    If you try to center tap your battery bank you will bring ruin down upon your batteries. You will need a DC to DC converter. 'Solar Converters' and others make them. Better yet, get an inverter and forget about the DC stuff.
    --vtMaps
    OK, scratch center tap DC system! I am learning that is good.

Thanks to everyone for their input so far, btw purchase the book mentioned above and a few others.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Actually welders are inductive: your basic welder is a great big transformer.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Just a comment, please watch your language, and indeed keep the political comments to a level to where they are only relevant to the thread.

Icarus
  • Shade
    Actually welders are inductive: your basic welder is a great big transformer.
    The load (actual welding process) puts a resistive load on the transformer or inverter. None
    of my machines are transformers, one is a generator the others are inverters, better arc and
    control. So even if there is a transformer, the end load is still resistive.
    icarus wrote: »
    Just a comment, please watch your language, and indeed keep the political comments to a level to where they are only relevant to the thread.

Icarus
    Sorry about the language, but I have tried to take the salt out of the sailor, but with little
    success. I was trying to avoid the political stuff, but I could not think of a better explanation.
  • Cariboocoot
    The load (actual welding process) puts a resistive load on the transformer or inverter. None
    of my machines are transformers, one is a generator the others are inverters, better arc and
    control. So even if there is a transformer, the end load is still resistive.

Electrically, no; it is inductive. Resistance loads have a fixed value. If you put an Ammeter on your welder you will see its current draw vary not just with the heat setting but also with the job itself (low current without the arc, peak on striking the arc, varying current while the arc is continued).

Anything with a transformer is inductive.
  • mtdoc

OK, I get the prepper bit - I have some prepper tendencies myself..:blush:

You still should build a system of only AC loads and here is why:

AC appliances are not only much cheaper and more efficient, they are more common. If things fall apart it is going to be much more difficult to replace DC lighting and appliances than AC. All those folks without power are not going to have much need for their unused AC stuff, are they?

If you're worried about inverter reliability over the longer term - use the money you save not buying DC appliances and buy a back up inverter.

If 10 yrs after the grid goes down your inverters are dead - well if there is not enough tech available to repair or replace them then finding batteries will be an even bigger issue.

Finally - if we end up going back to early -20th century, pre-petroleum technology- you can always make (or have made) some simple DC lighting, motors and other DC electronics using salvaged parts from all the scrap electronics that will be lying around...THEN it would be the right time to go DC (may Nikola Tesla rest in peace!) 8)
  • Shade
    Electrically, no; it is inductive. Resistance loads have a fixed value.
    If you put an Ammeter on your welder you will see its current draw
    vary not just with the heat setting but also with the job itself (low
    current without the arc, peak on striking the arc, varying current
    while the arc is continued).

Anything with a transformer is inductive.
    We can discuss that another time.

Back to my questions. I put together a rough schematic of what I have
    in mind. Now in my scenario (trying to avoid the socio-political side) "the
    Grid" eventually goes bye-bye for a very long time, let's just say years
    also during that time re-supply on fuels; diesel, NG, Propane, gasoline
    also is not going to happen so forget generator back ups.

Attachment not found.

I plan on segregating my have to have loads to my DC only system and my
    nice to have loads to my AC system.

Maybe this is where I am making my mistake, but as I understand when you
    go from your battery bank, point A, through your inverter to run an AC load,
    Point B, most systems are only 70% efficient. This is what I want to avoid.
    I am thinking with good planning (short runs) I can go from A to D to E more
    efficiently than through an DC to AC system? Now for the immediate future,
    having and inverter to minimize or even sell back power to "the Grid" I am all
    for that but in a SHTF situation I was thinking a pure DC system would be more
    efficient especially for several years.

In my thought process every thing in the green box will be DOA, and we will
    live off of the DC only system.

Is this making any sense or am I totally out in left field...
  • Shade
    mtdoc wrote: »
    OK, I get the prepper bit - I have some prepper tendencies myself..:blush:

You still should build a system of only AC loads and here is why:

AC appliances are not only much cheaper and more efficient, they are more common. If things fall apart it is going to be much more difficult to replace DC lighting and appliances than AC. All those folks without power are not going to have much need for their unused AC stuff, are they?
    Had not thought that way, that is a very good point.
    If you're worried about inverter reliability over the longer term - use the money you save not buying DC appliances and buy a back up inverter.

If 10 yrs after the grid goes down your inverters are dead - well if there is not enough tech available to repair or replace them then finding batteries will be an even bigger issue.

Finally - if we end up going back to early -20th century, pre-petroleum technology- you can always make (or have made) some simple DC lighting, motors and other DC electronics using salvaged parts from all the scrap electronics that will be lying around...THEN it would be the right time to go DC (may Nicholas Tesla rest in peace!) 8)
    One question, how efficient are inverters taking DC power from the battery bank
    and converting back into AC power? I was thinking it was in the 70 percent range.
  • mtdoc
    Had not thought that way, that is a very good point.

One question, how efficient are inverters taking DC power from the battery bank
    and converting back into AC power? I was thinking it was in the 70 percent range.

Good quality inverters 90-95% (lower at low loads).

All else being equal, a 48V inverter will be more slightly more efficient than 24V
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure but something you said a few posts back makes me think there is some overlap in your differentiation of Grid Tie inverters and Off Grid type inverters...??

I have had an all DC system for 6 years and upon wanting to upgrade I decided to go AC as there are less system losses and more availability of 'parts' to pull together an AC system in the average hardware store for me now and I can have a bunch of cheap spares on hand for future use... plus I don't have to constantly be on the lookout for 12v or DC compatible units of whatever that willl fit the bill.... lots less headaches.

One mans opinion. Plus that of SWMBO!

cheers.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

IMHO the flaw in the total package logic is, assuming you don't have fuel or grid for several years, where are you going to source replacement batteries in an end of the world scenario? I would posit that battery procurement might be much harder than fuel, since one has fuel alternatives, like bio diesel, veg oil, wood and coal gasification etc. I can see making other fuels a lot easier that I could see making batteries.

Icarus
  • Shade
    IMHO the flaw in the total package logic is, assuming you don't have fuel or grid for several years, where are you going to source replacement batteries in an end of the world scenario? I would posit that battery procurement might be much harder than fuel, since one has fuel alternatives, like bio diesel, veg oil, wood and coal gasification etc. I can see making other fuels a lot easier that I could see making batteries.

Icarus
    What is the life cycle on batteries 3-5 years for cheapies, even well maintained. Ten years
    or more for good ones? Like Surettes. Lifetime for iron nickel? (a little extra electrolyte is
    easy to store) not like I have that kind of budget. Maybe if I win the lottery big. I am a chemist
    battery chemistry was literally Chem 101.

Preppers stock up on everything.
    I do have plans for getting at least one full set of extra lead acid batteries purchased with out
    electrolyte in them, store them dry (they would have an indefinite shelf life; longer than I will
    live) and when needed add the sulfuric acid and instant battery.

Not really planning for "End of the World" more of a fiscal collapse followed by a societal
    collapse. I figure once society collapses it will be 2-3 years before it will starts to rebuild itself.
    If the Yellowstone caldera blows or a big meteor or comet collides with the earth, we are
    toast and will not likely survive anyway. Socio-political collapse is what I am worried about.

Twenty years ago I would have thought I was a crack pot; and maybe I have become one...
  • Shade
    since one has fuel alternatives, like bio diesel, veg oil, wood and coal gasification etc.
    Alternate fuels.
    Bio diesel requires, caustic and methanol, so you would have to have stock piles of that, it is
    also energy intensive to produce. Veg (and animal) oils work in the warmer months, but you
    being a friendly neighbor to the north understand what happens to that in the winter even to
    biodiesel has issues. Wood is on the list, I heat with it now, and have both the fueled and
    manual tools for that job. Coal gasification you need a source for coal, I do not have that on
    my property, Bulk coal is cheap, but again you would need a stock pile or a mine nearby, I
    have neither, also I do not know what the stoichiometry is on that process. Wood gasification
    is an option and as a result you get charcoal that you can use for cooking and heating, but
    you have to burn a lot of wood for that, one 55 gallon drum of wood will produce 0.5-1 gallons
    of liquid fuel depending on the type of wood and the efficiency of your condenser.

Once I get a PV system set up and running my next step is a wood fired steam boiler and set
    up to run a generator off of that. My thought was to run a series of automotive alternators
    and generate DC for the house DC systems. AC generators need to spin at either 1800 or 3600
    rpm to create 60Hz power, DC system can run at any rpm and generate power, therefore
    the design is simpler to make and maintain.
  • vtmaps
    I do have plans for getting at least one full set of extra lead acid batteries purchased with out
    electrolyte in them, store them dry (they would have an indefinite shelf life

WRONG! Those dry batteries will be scrap after 10 years. --vtMaps
  • BB.

As vtMaps says, dry charged batteries are usually assumed to have an ~18 month storage life (before sale).... You might find something that has longer storage life--But I would want to confirm in the specifications.

-Bill
  • Shade

Okay back to step one, analysis of loads. Yes, I know this is not an in depth analysis but
    I am working on that, issue is my biggest power hogs are 230V loads, well, hot water,
    stove, oven, etc.. I am researching equipment to analyze those loads. The 115V 15A
    Kil-a-watt meter is not much help. This is just an overview of my total consumption. My
    wife who cannot throw way anything has our electric bills back to 1997 in the filing cabinet
    and I am sure she has the back to 93 or earlier some where. What is interesting is the
    kWh usage is not all them much different other than the summer and winter peaks, well
    post wood heat at least.

The attached file is the kWh used in my home by month. Now you have to keep in mind
    that my home is all electric, no natural gas, no propane, no fuel oil, I do try to heat with
    wood, but my wife is eternally cold...

I have not done any serious conservation measures yet, that will be done with the house
    renovations. Mostly what I have done is as appliances are being replace we have replaced
    with energy star appliances, stove, microwave, washer, dryer and the main chest freezer
    all are energy star rated; the fridges are not, yet, nor is the really old upright freezer but
    that is empty and off most of the year. I am stilling thinking that DC chest freezers could
    be a good choice, transmission will not be an issue because they will be parked next to the
    inverter and battery bank, they will share opposite sides of a wall.

Now I have a shop and barn they exist on a separate service and meter so this is just the
    house loads. My prospective PV system will only service the house. If I ever get to a PV
    system for the barn and shop it will be completely separate system.

Now for those faint of heart about energy consumption, sit down before viewing my graph.

Attachment not found.

And I have no idea what the heck happened in Nov and Dec of 2010?
  • Shade
    WRONG! Those dry batteries will be scrap after 10 years. --vtMaps
    As vtMaps says, dry charged batteries are usually assumed to have an ~18 month storage life (before sale).... You might find something that has longer storage life--But I would want to confirm in the specifications.

-Bill
    Why? How does a lead storage battery go bad if it never had acid in it?

One set of plates are lead the other side is lead oxide, neither corrode
    or degrade with age.

We had 16V Lead acid batteries for back power in the Navy, including a
    set stored without any electrolyte for replacing any cells that went bad
    or had battle damage, we were always told they were good for a very
    long time.
  • Cariboocoot

You will not get "unformed" FLA batteries. They will have been filled with electrolyte, charged to 'form' the plates, and then emptied again. Deterioration begins Day 1 and all you can do is slow it down, not stop it.

It used to be quite common to ship batteries empty and the electrolyte separately (this before they were deemed 'hazardous material'). The idea was that the shelf life of the empty batteries was longer. They don't do this anymore because it isn't.

Rule #1: batteries die over time no matter how they are treated.
    Rule #2: you can't change Rule #1.
  • BB.

Again, we are talking about commercial batteries... Not saying that there are not other methods--Just that you need to confirm with the mfg/specifications that they are designed for decade(s) of "dry storage":

http://www.solar-electric.com/deep-cycle-battery-faq.html

Battery Lifespan

The lifespan of a deep cycle battery will vary considerably with how it is used, how it is maintained and charged, temperature, and other factors. In extreme cases, it can vary to extremes - we have seen L-16's killed in less than a year by severe overcharging and water loss, and we have a large set of surplus telephone batteries that sees only occasional (10-15 times per year) heavy service that were just replace after 35+ years. We have seen gelled cells destroyed in one day when overcharged with a large automotive charger. We have seen golf cart batteries destroyed without ever being used in less than a year because they were left sitting in a hot garage or warehouse without being charged. Even the so-called "dry charged" (where you add acid when you need them) have a shelf life of 18 months at most. (They are not totally dry - they are actually filled with acid, the plates formed and charged, then the acid is dumped out).

These are some typical (minimum - maximum) typical expectations for batteries if used in deep cycle service. There are so many variables, such as depth of discharge, maintenance, temperature, how often and how deep cycled, etc. that it is almost impossible to give a fixed number.
    • Starting: 3-12 months
    • Marine: 1-6 years
    • Golf cart: 2-7 years
    • AGM deep cycle: 4-8 years
    • Gelled deep cycle: 2-5 years
    • Deep cycle (L-16 type etc): 4-8 years
    • Rolls-Surrette premium deep cycle: 7-15 years
    • Industrial deep cycle (Crown and Rolls 4KS series): 10-20+ years.
    • Telephone (float): 2-20 years. These are usually special purpose "float service", but often appear on the surplus market as "deep cycle". They can vary considerably, depending on age, usage, care, and type.
    • NiFe (alkaline): 5-35 years
    • NiCad: 1-20 years

And everything has is pluses and minuses... Forklift batteries will last a long time in service, but you need a supply of distilled (or filtered rain water) as they tend to use more water when charging/equalizing. Also, since ForkLift batteries have higher self discharge (towards the end of their life), I probably would install a 10-20% larger solar array than nominal rules of thumbs would suggest (a fork lift battery near the end of life can have a 1-2% self discharge rate per day).

-Bill