wire length

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
24 volt set up
would this work...?? the wire from the batteries to the inverter 26ft and from the inverter to the mains 26 ft..
and does it hurt an Outback inverter if it freezes once in a while when its not in use and unplugged in a winter season..??

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: wire length

What size wire do you expect to use and at 24v? the line loss will be high at 26 feet x 2 (Pos and Neg)
    Just off the top I would minimize the distance @ 24V and max the 110/220 V distance.

ps mine is measured in inches not feet... #OO welding cable

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    ws9876 wrote: »
    would this work...?? the wire from the batteries to the inverter 26ft
    Bad idea unless you are looking at very low power levels (<1000 watts.) A 1000 watt inverter will generally surge to 1500-2000 watts and that's an 83 amp load even at 24 volts. For a 1 volt drop at 83 amps over 52 feet (round trip) that means you need a 12 milliohm resistance, or .23 milliohms per foot. Closest common gauge will be 2 gauge which isn't too expensive - but go beyond that power and you'll start seeing some pretty pricey wiring.
    and from the inverter to the mains 26 ft.
    Not much of an issue due to lower currents.
    and does it hurt an Outback inverter if it freezes once in a while when its not in use and unplugged in a winter season..??
    The GTFX series is good down to -40C.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Would it not be possible to locate your inverter right beside the batteries, limiting the cable lengths to just 3 or 4 feet MAX, then run the high voltage AC the rest of the way? Would be hugely more efficient in more ways than one.
    Re temp range, most if not all Outback inverters are rated to operate in temps at least as low as minus 25 C, that's well below Zero F ( -18C ). It may operate slightly out of spec at these low temps, but shouldn't hurt it whatever. I've got 4 different brands of inverters, and all have every Winter, to sometimes operate below zero F ( -18C ) and have never had a problem.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭

It all depends on the size of the system. What is the maximum current you expect?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Since I disconnect mine every Winter and let it sit while the temps drop to as low as -40 I'd say no; it won't hurt it at all. Mine fires up fine every Spring.

As for the wire length, just what the others have said: make your longest run at the highest Voltage.
  • ws9876
    ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

if it doesnt hurt the inverter to sit on or off in cold temps then I have no problem. When I do batteries here I want to put them in a lined sub terra hole
    about 6 ft down so they dont freeze. With that in mind and because I wanted to mount an inverter in the next room it would be about 25 ft.I guess I wont do that.
    Aside from all this..... what is the max wire distance to the mains from an Inverter 2500 watt ....and what size wire would you use for that if you were doing it??
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    what is the max wire distance to the mains from an Inverter 2500 watt ....and what size wire would you use for that if you were doing it??

You mean 120 VAC output @ 2500 Watts? That's roughly 20 Amps, so it should be 12 AWG minimum to handle the current. As for distance ... 12 AWG will be over 3% V-drop after about 55 feet. 10 AWG will do 'til around 90 feet. 8 AWG to 140 feet. 6 AWG to 220 feet.

The larger the wire size, the less V-drop over a given distance at the current. Likewise it can handle greater distance at the same V-drop and current, or the same V-drop and distance with greater current.