Remote start for generac 20k with xw6048 and xw ags

Hi is this a good mix and can it be done without to much difficulty, I have 15 285watt panels, 9 240watt panels 12 80 watt panels 4 225 ah 48v banks 2 flex60 and 1 c40,the gen is just for airconditioning 1 3ton & 1 5ton can this work,any help with gen connection points its a model 6244 with the ats.:confused:

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Re: Remote start for generac 20k with xw6048 and xw ags

How old is your Generac? What controller does it have?
  • islandboy43444
    islandboy43444 Solar Expert Posts: 45

its new and has the evolution controller.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

3 ton and 5 ton are pretty big units. The 3 ton will likely startup okay. The 5 ton may be a problem depending on its startup current.

The generator may bog down slightly causing the XW to throw it off line then the XW may not be able to complete the startup surge on its own. You just have to try it. Try setting XW to supplement load which should help lighten the surge on the generator.

The XW can only handle up to 60 amps or 14.4 KVA through its pass through relay.

Alternate would be to wire air conditioners directly on generator output but you then lose the supplement load handling by XW and management of power between charging and AC load.
  • NorthGuy
    its new and has the evolution controller.

I know that the Evolution controller can be converted to 2-wire start, I just don't know where to connect the wires. It is a good idea to try to find this information, from Generac or otherwise.

If you fail to get 2-wire start, you can start it by interrupting N1 or N2 (one of the yellow) wires with AGS. These wires are normally connected to 240V and you can connected them to your inverter's output. When one of these lines is interrupted, Generac thinks this is a power outage and start.

Regardless of the method, you need to connect the blue (T1?) wire to 120V. This is necessary to maintain the battery inside Generac. Or you can install your own battery maintainer.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I'd suspect that the Generac has a warm up delay interlock in the control system that will shut it down if you dump a big load on it right after start-up. Since all the newer generators have had to meet EPA standards they have more electronic controls have made them hard to work with.
  • NorthGuy
    I'd suspect that the Generac has a warm up delay interlock in the control system that will shut it down if you dump a big load on it right after start-up. Since all the newer generators have had to meet EPA standards they have more electronic controls have made them hard to work with.

In "normal" operation, it is designed to start for an outage and is loaded within seconds from the start. However, XW needs about 40 seconds to qualify it and connect to it. On my system, I decided to add additional 3 minutes of warm up time. I hope this will make it last longer.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    In "normal" operation, it is designed to start for an outage and is loaded within seconds from the start. However, XW needs about 40 seconds to qualify it and connect to it. On my system, I decided to add additional 3 minutes of warm up time. I hope this will make it last longer.
    Trane tried some Natural gas engine driven Heat Pumps that auto started once without the right warm up, it didn't work out to well, total failed project. I have a 20 Kw, ( not a Generac ) it has a PTO on the generator end that drives a hydraulic pump and all it'll do is stall until it warms up and it's fuel injected if you try to use it. Your probably doing the right thing with the warm up time.

I have a neighbor with a Generac, I don't think it's ever ran during a power outage.