Good Solar Panels

Options
kc6cnn
kc6cnn Registered Users Posts: 22
I was sent a email in reference to some I think 130 or 135 solar panels. They were inexpensive and the price was for two.
I can not locate my e-mail and am getting ready to buy new panels, controller, batteries.
I am still trying to decide between 12 and 24 volts. I ruled out 48 volt due to size limitation of where I store my batteries.
Hoping to get between 600 and 800 or more watts into the battery bank.
Any suggestions for equipment is appreciated. I do know that I will get a mppt controller. I would love to have it control my generator to help on the heavy loads too.

Thank you
Gerald

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Good Solar Panels

I would stop, and hold your breath for a little while... You seem to be a kid with a $5 bill and a wall of candy in front of them...

If you have a handle on what your loads are that would be good, have you purchased a Kill-A-Watt meter and figured out what you need?

You have a good generator, suggest you start by getting a range of what your power needs are, then look at purchasing a battery bank and an inverter to reduce your run times on the generator. I say get a handle on your needs so you can determine the voltage and size of the battery bank, since these will determine what inverter specs and Kw of reserve you will need. Once you have this setup, you can get an even better feel for what your system will use and this will help determine what size array you will want...

I may have sent you a PM (Personal Message) through this forum, about some reasonably priced 12 volt nominal panels. It's hard to find these and NAWS(Northern Arizona Wind and Sun our sponsor) doesn't carry a variety.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • kc6cnn
    kc6cnn Registered Users Posts: 22
    Options
    Re: Good Solar Panels

Thanks Photowhit, I haven't been called a kid in a long time. hihi.

I will check my messages and look at the site. I will run back over the calculations and come up with what I need to run.
    I am new, and am still learning, the hard way sometimes, found out 12 volt did not work for me. I ended up having to run my 3000 watt generator most of the time.

Thanks
    Gerald