110 v Sonya electric dryer review

silvertop
silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭
We just got our new Sonya electric dryer up an running about two weeks ago. With the 110V, we can use it on solar., It has high and low heat settings; they make two sizes so we picked the larger 13lb/3.75cu. ft. drum. Low heat pulls 880 watts, high heat pulls about 1450 watts. I think this is going to help pull one more 220volt appliance off line. I think it's a good design time will tell; we did have the exhaust port pushed in from shipping which causes a terrible noise. after we realized what was happening and gave the metal exhaust a tug. It solved this problem; I would chalk this up to a packaging flaw. I hope no one else has this issue! On low heat, a full load took about 150 minutes.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 110 v Sonya electric dryer review

that time of 150min seems a bit long. try it on high heat to see how well it does comparatively.

btw, did you mean sonya or sanyo?
  • silvertop

We did this on high as well and it took about an hour or so. The beauty of low heat is that it gives me the opportunity to run multiple appliances on my larger inverter at the same time. 880 watts is awesome!
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the sun is out, or even if it isn't, you might hang the clothes for the first hour or so, I suspect there would be little difference in drying time unless your having rain/foggy day. I was surprised how doing this work for me while I had an electrical dryer. Though I did put a fan on them. I now just use a clothes line or hang them inside. Since having gone to solar only.

I have a stackable dryer, I suspect I could adapt it to running on 120, depending on the motor voltage. Heating elements may be the only 240, I've heard of a breaker flipping and a dryer still working, it might have happen in our family 40 years ago. Though I don't ever hope to need a dryer, living mostly in 'T' Shirts and jeans and many of each.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • silvertop

Hello from Mrs. Silvertop;

While drying clothes on the line is the most energy efficient way, that doesn't necessarily do to well when laundering professional work clothes. Anything we might save by line drying would soon be eaten up by the iron! So, for my profession, i can't line dry. I do have a clothes extractor that also helps. I have had to use the 220V dryer up to this point, for my work clothes, but now have the freedom to use a solar friendly dryer instead. The extra time involved doesn't really bother me. My other half does use the clothes line for his as his work allows him the freedom of jeans and T shirts.;)
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    that time of 150min seems a bit long.

I agree. Longer tumble times means more wear on the clothing. More of your clothing will end up in the lint filter.

There's another fairly recent thread where someone rewired their 240 volt drier to run on 120 volts. The motor and controls already ran on 120 volts, so only the heater element had to be rewired from 240 to 120.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    There's another fairly recent thread where someone rewired their 240 volt drier to run on 120 volts. The motor and controls already ran on 120 volts, so only the heater element had to be rewired from 240 to 120.

That was me. When we got our big inverter I was going to switch it back to 240V. My wife wouldn't let me. It's easier on her clothes to tumble them for longer times at low heat than it is for shorter time at Max Inferno. We get less than half the lint in the screen that we used to get on short drying time and Max Inferno.

And we dry the same clothes on about 65% of the energy that it took on Max Inferno.

Clothes dryers are designed for convenient short drying times - not clothes care - not efficiency.
    --
    Chris