Inverter assist ??

Options
2Guido
2Guido Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭
Hi team..
Looking for an MSW Inverter 3kwatts + that will auto power back on after an over-voltage shutdown...Reason being when my A/C unit cycles down occasionally under brilliant sunshine and my dump controller does not react fast enough to divert the spike in voltage, therefor my current inverter shuts down and has to be manually started back...The voltage only rises for a couple of seconds beyond the threshold, but that is sufficient to shut it down...Suggestions Anyone ???
THANKS !!!!!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Inverter assist ??

I have a suggestion: avoid MSW inverters.

And a question: why are your running diversion controllers with PV? Usually they are only used with turbines.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think you have a charge controller problem not an inverter problem.

The Prosines are True sine wave inverters, I would stick with them they are pretty good units and I think will handle up to 32 volt incoming voltage in the 24v units.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • 2Guido
    Options

This is a combo system with wind turbines......
    I have a suggestion: avoid MSW inverters.

And a question: why are your running diversion controllers with PV? Usually they are only used with turbines.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Got any numbers on how far the Voltage is spiking above the inverters' high cut-off? A sudden 'blip' of 1 Volt over is not so hard to deal with as, say, 5 Volts. I agree with Photowhit that the controllers should not be allowing a very large Voltage spike to occur.

I know of no inverter that will auto-reset when shut down by over Voltage. This is because they consider it at fault that needs to be corrected before restart, and if they try to restart on their own while the fault is present the repeated 'jolt' of high Voltage could cause permanent damage. So naturally they are designed to shut down and wait 'til someone has checked everything out.

This is not the same as with LVD where once the supply Voltage comes back above a minimum level the inverter will restart. A difference between protecting the inverter and protecting the batteries; inverters don't suffer much from too low input Voltage.
  • 2Guido
    Options

The Prosines do auto-restart once a high voltage has corrected within bounds but i don't want to shell out another $3 when a MSW will do what I need for a specific Appliance...THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!
    Got any numbers on how far the Voltage is spiking above the inverters' high cut-off? A sudden 'blip' of 1 Volt over is not so hard to deal with as, say, 5 Volts. I agree with Photowhit that the controllers should not be allowing a very large Voltage spike to occur.

I know of no inverter that will auto-reset when shut down by over Voltage. This is because they consider it at fault that needs to be corrected before restart, and if they try to restart on their own while the fault is present the repeated 'jolt' of high Voltage could cause permanent damage. So naturally they are designed to shut down and wait 'til someone has checked everything out.

This is not the same as with LVD where once the supply Voltage comes back above a minimum level the inverter will restart. A difference between protecting the inverter and protecting the batteries; inverters don't suffer much from too low input Voltage.