Sunny Boy 3000 us dead

gino45
gino45 Registered Users Posts: 12
This morning my 2 year old system was working fine. A while ago I noticed that all lights are off. I checked out the system visually, and there are no obvious errors. Reviewing the manual, everything refers to the messages on the led board and lights. In my case, it is totally dead.

Tried resetting, no results.

At the same time the grid is working. So in my frustration, Sunday of course, I have decided to throw this out to the forum to see what suggestions or ideas you good folks might have as to the problem and possible solutions.

Gino

grid tie Sunny Boy 3000us, 14 220 K Mitsubushi panels.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Sunny Boy 3000 us dead

Did you check your breakers and disconnects?

Did some neighbor, or a cat accidentally pull your disconnect?

If it's a grid tied system, you should have grid coming in regardless, so perhaps the utility disconnected you?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit wrote: »

Did some neighbor, or a cat accidentally pull your disconnect?

If it's a grid tied system, you should have grid coming in regardless, so perhaps the utility disconnected you?

Perhaps it was just the lights on the inverter that were off...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • gino45
    Photowhit wrote: »

There are no apparent visual changes. I tried switching off the disconnects on both sides, DC and AC, and then later turning them on. No change.

My next question is: is the panel lighting supplied by the grid? I don't think so, since the system goes through shut down sequence as night falls, and goes back on at daylight. All I can think of right now is to check DC disconnect fuses, but no hurry, since I can't replace them until tomorrow at best.

What's frustrating is that manuals only talk about the lights, while I suddenly have no lights.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I assume you are talking about no lights on the GT Inverter?

Your lights are are still on at home?

I had a Xantrex GT inverter fail and it tripped the 240 VAC breakers in my main panel. I reset the breakers an the GT inverter was powered again--However, something failed and I had the GT inverter mechanically replaced (they don't seem to do board level swap outs/repairs in my area).

If the main panel breakers are on (and have been turned OFF and back to ON) and the GT inverter is still "dark"--Then it is time to find out how to get it repaired/replaced.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    gino45 wrote: »
    This morning my 2 year old system was working fine. A while ago I noticed that all lights are off. I checked out the system visually, and there are no obvious errors. Reviewing the manual, everything refers to the messages on the led board and lights. In my case, it is totally dead.

Tried resetting, no results.

At the same time the grid is working. So in my frustration, Sunday of course, I have decided to throw this out to the forum to see what suggestions or ideas you good folks might have as to the problem and possible solutions.

Gino

grid tie Sunny Boy 3000us, 14 220 K Mitsubushi panels.

Have you confirmed that your array Voc and Isc are normal? I'm pretty sure the SB powers its "brain" from the DC side.
  • gino45

Well, I fixed it.
    First talked to SunnyBoy techs who walked me through to verify that the problem was not the inverter.
    Then determined that power was coming into the DC service disconnect. The hot output was hot!
    Was unable to make system go. Finally determined that the incoming red wire to the 1 circuit breaker being used was loose! I was able to tighten it, and Voila! The system works again.
    For safety sake I did this when it was almost dark to reduce opportunity for shock.
    This work had been professionally done and approved by the electric company. Go figure! And thanks for your support.
    And I still don't quite understand how to safely test the DC incoming from the panels. Had a go round with that.
  • Photowhit

When tightening copper wires you should retighten after a couple hours or the next day! Did you perhaps make the same mistake the 'professionals' did?