Need sump pump solar backup

Options
sofasurfer
sofasurfer Registered Users Posts: 9
I can not afford to invest in a solar system for my home. I'll be using other methods. However, there is one major concern that I must deal with. Allowing my basement to flood is not an option. I need to figure out a way to keep a sump pump running during a permanent power outage. I assume it would be best to start with a watch dog pump which comes with a battery backup and then adapt it to a solar panel for charging. Has anyone done this? Can you give me the steps and specs needed so I have some numbers to shop around with for parts.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Need sump pump solar backup

the watchdog is a good idea and you could do something like add a pv to it, but i suspect it may not last the 24hrs until the next day for charging depending on the amount of water being talked about governing the on time of the pump. unless you plan on expanding the battery bank and pvs, it may be better to have a small generator on hand and charge it up that way. you'd probably want the genny anyway to run other vital items occasionally as well.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

better find out how much power the pump needs, and it's duty cycle, then you can select a battery size to keep it running for however many hours you need.
    The pump motor will need a pure sine wave inverter.
    It's likely you will need a 24v system if you want more than a couple hours of usage.
    When you know the battery size, then you can size the solar - but if a storm knocks out the power, you have to wait for bright sunny days to recharge, cloudy days = no solar power. As Niel says, you may want a small generator - 2000 watt inverter generator is a pretty useful toy.

And you may consider a 12VDC boating bilge pump, if you don't have too high of lift to pump the water out.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

One problem with using solar in this sort of application: when the cellar floods it's usually because it is raining outside. When it is raining outside solar panels don't work very well.

Just sayin'.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Perhaps a better alternative is a water powered sump pump. It sounds counter intuitive, but if you have utility water, you can install one that never needs a back up.

http://www.libertypumps.com/Products/Category/SubCategory/Product/?p=76&s=23&c=14

The way it works is quite simple. It simply uses city water pressure to drive the pump system. It "wastes" about 1 gallon of water (added to the dump stream) for every ~6 gallons it up pumps. The great beauty is it will work as long as there is city water available.

It will add to the waste stream, and add to your water bill (when it runs) but it comes at absolutely no standby cost. We have one in a house that has two sump pumps (city rental) that need to run unattended. If the conventionals fail for what ever reason the water powered pump comes on witha float. We have never needed it, but in the event of a long power outage, it is way more reliable than a battery back up.

Tony
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Tony,
    The link provided says 2 gallons removed for 1 used (municipal sourced). A little less efficient than 6 to 1.

Ralph