Replaced my inverter with a backup, 20 minutes flat....

Options
Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
Fun night tonight, I had my trusted inverter have it's fan (or temperature sensor) go out. It was running fine when I got home, but when I put about a 500watt load on it, A/C and or washing machine, it would shut down... I was aware of what was running on it and had done similar and larger loads so I was surprised.

I reset it a couple times before I realized the fan wasn't coming on when the inverter cranked back up. I finally left the A/C on (I normally shut most everything down before turning the inverter back on) and watched, when the compressor kicked and the load went from 150-200 watts(fridge running I'm guessing) up to 600 watts it shut down in a minute or 2 and the fan never ran. The onboard wattage gauge never went above 800watts.

I'm guessing it triggered a thermal shut down? only saw 'system shutdown' on display, no additional info.

I'll pull it apart tonight, if I get my work table cleaned off, and check it out. I know I needed to clean out the dust, while at the cabin it was in a much more dusty environment. I'll hook up the fan to an outside 24v source and make sure it's dead, and just replace it. Any Ideas or warnings? This is a Prosine 1800, 10 years old the last 7 providing most of my electric.
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Replaced my inverter with a backup, 20 minutes flat....

Photo
    I looked up the Prosine 1800, seems it has a square fan .
    I try to buy duel Ball Bearings , best to patch / clean & grease it till you find a good replacement. How many wires feed it ? The last one I changed was 4 wire PWM and i upped the bearing type from just cheap sleeve type.
    I can't post a link , was told not cool .
    VT
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

bummer. did you notice it getting quite hot at the time of shutdown as it does sound like it is overheating?

cdn_vt,
    you can pm him those links.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yep t got pretty warm, I'm hoping my repeated reset didn't mess it up, think the thermostat is still OK, and hope it's not a relay or something else. never opened it up last night and It'll be Saturday at the earliest before I can get back to it.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.