Battery emergency

13»

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: Battery emergency

I made a Temperature unit that I install on all my Battery Banks. I call it " Batt Temp " it replaces a cap and it's always there.

I am not sure that the mate actually gives you the temperature, it's a number that makes the calculation with. Without a RTS installed it gives you 255. Again, I do NOT use RTS's.

Attachment not found.
  • zozomike
    zozomike Solar Expert Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Thats a really cool idea, Thanks guys. Im on it.

Off grid, all solar, passive and active (winter wood heat supplements) PV DHW.

Array 1-- 12 Sunpower 250, Outback FM 100 3kw

Array 2-- 12 Sunpower 250, Outback FM 100 3kw

Well array 780w, 6 Kyocera 130 w with Grundfos sqflex 11 and cu200 to elevated storage, ( 2- 330 g tanks,) no battery storage at well

10 24 volt Battle Born Lithiums

Outback Flexpower Two, VFXR 3524A 7kw

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

Attachment not found.
    zozomike wrote: »
    And it already confuses me, because the Mate Status/FX/Batt temp screen reads 118-- not in degree c/f, what the heck is that value? the manual states the value reflects the battery temp, but obviously it is not the temperature as we can use it. How do you guys check battery temperature if not with that reading? I need a college degree in this stuff...

No college degree necessary... you need the secret decoder document:
    Attachment not found.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    zozomike wrote: »
    And it already confuses me, because the Mate Status/FX/Batt temp screen reads 118-- not in degree c/f, what the heck is that value?

The Mate will also display battery temp in degrees C. Press left 2 keys at once then, STATUS-->BATT---> TEMP (I think that's it).
  • Blackcherry04
    mtdoc wrote: »
    The Mate will also display battery temp in degrees C. Press left 2 keys at once then, STATUS-->BATT---> TEMP (I think that's it).
    What model of the Mate do you have ?? I have never seen one that displays the actual temperature. Maybe the Mate 3 does.
  • mtdoc
    What model of the Mate do you have ?? I have never seen one that displays the actual temperature. Maybe the Mate 3 does.

Mate 1 - I'll post a pic later
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Thought mine (Mate 2) showed the temp as well, so just looked.

It does, but only under the DC (Flexnet DC) section.

Which is interesting - the RTS is attached to the FX, but under FX it only lists the "raw number". I guess the FNDC is grabbing the raw value from the inverter, calculating temp, then reporting back to the Mate. Seems a bit convoluted!
  • mtdoc

Yep. Mine is under status-->DC-->BATT so I guess that is going through the FNDC - I never thought about that before.

BTW - Mate1=Mate2 - just different form factor. (sorry for the big pic!)

Attachment not found.
  • Blackcherry04

That must be it, I know I have never saw it displayed on the Mate. I have tried RTS a few times, once I calibrate a setup I don't want anything to change in the settings. I have no temperature issues, my customers all have either 12.5, 15 or 20 KW generators. I set them to bulk with 2 charging sources of 250 amps and have to drop one just before gassing set point. I do a " Fast Charge " bulk and have been able to cut fuel consumption in half, that alone returns the price of a set of batteries in less than 2-3 years. Bulking @ high amps does nothing to the batteries as long as you keep the amps below the Amp hrs needed to be returned. Everything set for a 40-50% DOD on either 800 amp hr or a 1000 amp hr bank.
  • zozomike
    zozomike Solar Expert Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Well guys thanks for all the useful info you put here. When I was tidying up the connections I plugged the rts back in an something happened to the connectors on the FX circuit board, mate went dead, new cable did not help, cleaning internal contacts did not help, but the mate works fine when plugged into the controller. So I am back to square one. Flying blind.

Off grid, all solar, passive and active (winter wood heat supplements) PV DHW.

Array 1-- 12 Sunpower 250, Outback FM 100 3kw

Array 2-- 12 Sunpower 250, Outback FM 100 3kw

Well array 780w, 6 Kyocera 130 w with Grundfos sqflex 11 and cu200 to elevated storage, ( 2- 330 g tanks,) no battery storage at well

10 24 volt Battle Born Lithiums

Outback Flexpower Two, VFXR 3524A 7kw

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

You didn't perchance plug the MATE cable into the RTS socket did you?