Need help in designing DIY Emergency Solar System for small apartment

Lioness29
Lioness29 Solar Expert Posts: 25
Don't know technical terminology but have been researching subject for some time. In event of power failure, I want to be able to power a lamp with 75watt bulb and fan or heater (see below) for ~4 hours (maybe); run 600watt microwave, Mr. Coffee, Hair blower, occasionally; recharge computer, smartphone and maybe other small appliances. Probably can't run fridge or small freezer, but maybe buy a tiny fridge that I could use system with. I barely know what watts are but don't have a clue about Ah, volts.

I truly wish I could just buy the Xantrex Powerpack (see below) and add Solar Panels, but the cost is too great and there were some bad reviews. I've looked into buying a generator (deep cycle?), an inverter (specs?) and solar panels (specs?) but I don't have enough expertise to put a system together. I know I need some kind of surge protection (in the inverter?); which solar panel? (read about the different types) & what size; what cables and how long, a carrying case like the Xantrex has (I'm a woman and need to be able to roll it around). Want to use it inside so battery must be contained--can't leak

I even considered hooking up DIY powerpack to car battery to recharge (instead of solar panels) but research led me to believe I could run into problems & might harm car battery. So many questions!!

Have I come to the right place for help? Hoped to be able to get a complete DIY system to do what I described above (including EVERYTHING) for no more than $500. Is that possible?

Xantrex 1500 XPower Portable Powerpack
http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-802-1500-XPower-Portable-Powerpack/dp/B00005RHQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375411191&sr=8-1&keywords=xpower+powerpack+1500

Crane EE-6490 Space Heater 600/1200 Watt
http://www.amazon.com/Crane-EE-6490-Space-Heater-1200/dp/B0026IC2CI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375412867&sr=8-1&keywords=600watt+space+heater

Comfort Zone fan. The one from Amazon looks similar to the one I have (which says 40 watt on the back)
http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-CZHV9B-9-Inch-Velocity/dp/B001MEK8R8/ref=pd_sbs_hg_2

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Need help in designing DIY Emergency Solar System for small apartment

I'm sad to report that your limitation of $500 is not going to allow you to pull together your entire system. You might be able to get started on a less all-encompassing system of a few lights and possibly the fan . Any device that creates HEAT is going to cost a lot of power (storage) to run.

Please tell us the Minimum items that you need and we can start there. Please check each item for a watt rating, each on wikk have either watts or Volts and amps on the factory plate. these will get us started, but the best is 'real operating numbers' from a Kill-a-watt meter. the are available off Ebay and Amazon for under $25.

hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Forget about a heater, and Mr Coffee and hair dryer. All Resistance type heating items are notorious huge energy consumers. A small inverter type generator like a 1000 or 2000 watt Honda is great for emergency power and low fuel consumption. You probably can even run the a efficient fridge off the 2000 no problem. You could also charge a 12 volt battery and inverter setup with it to provide low power consumption items like some led lights and cell phone/laptop battery chargers between generator runs.

Getting into a off grid solar system requires you know the specifics of your loads pretty well.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

You might send a bit more time doing a bit more research, especially in the conservation side. For example, a 15-20 watt cfl will put out as much light as a 75 watt conventional bulb. An LED will be even better. Any heat generation appliance is not going to happen on a tiny av system. Wqt do you need a hair blower fr in an emergency?

Do yourself a favor and look into all aspects of this before you buy anything. Do an accurate load estimat with the aid of a Kill-a-watt meter so you can know how much nerdy it takes to power it.

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin
    Re: Need DIY Off-Grid for Small Apartment

Stop! Don't spend one dime yet--Those emergency power packs are not going to fulfill your expectations at all (not even 1% of your expectations).

The "weak point" in any off grid power system is the battery bank/energy storage. For example, a pair of Golf Cart batteries (6 volts @ 220 AH)--which are about 2x as large as the average car battery:
    • 2 batteries * 6 volts * 220 AH = 2,640 Watt*Hours of energy storage (to dead)
    • 2,640 WH * 0.85 inverter eff * 80% of battery (don't take battery dead) = 1,795 Watt*Hours of "useful power"

Forgetting that heavy loads on batteries make them "appear to have less storage"--The best you can expect run from such a battery (just one appliance in examples below):
    • 75watt bulb: 1,795 WH / 75 Watt = 23.9 hours
    • heater: 1,795 WH / 1,200 Watt = 1.5 hours
    • 600 watt microwave: 1,795 WH / 600 Watt = 3.0 hours
    • Mr. Coffee: 1,795 WH / ~800 Watt = 2.24 hours
    • Hair blower: 1,795 WH / 1,800 Watt = 1.0 hours
    • recharge computer (laptop): 1,795 WH / 40 Watt = 44.9 hours
    • smartphone: 1,795 Watts / 5 watts = 359 hours of charging
    • refrigerator: 1,795 Watts / ~60 watts = 29.9 hours

The Xantrex portable power back only has a ~51 AH @ 12 volt battery. And compared to the above two * golf cart batteries (12 volts @ 220 AH) is:
    • 51 AH / 220 AH = 0.23

Or only about 1/4 of the numbers I used above (in reality, neither battery bank will be able to supply much more than 600 Watts continuously without permanently damaging the battery bank.

So--Your expectations are way to high to expect these small systems to supply anywhere near the amount of energy you are requesting.

If you have a place to store a small generator (Honda eu2000i is ~50 lbs at 1,600 watts max, and eu1000i is ~30 lbs and 900 watts max), plus a few gallons of fuel will run much of what you are asking in an emergency (and you need ~1-2 gallons of fuel per day for at least 12 hours of AC power per day). And you need a place you can safely run the genset (these Honda generators are pretty quiet and can be run during the day without bothering folks--assuming you have an open area and an extension cord you can use to have it far enough from the apartment and not get Carbon Monoxide poisoning)

In summary, people over estimate how much a battery/generator/solar power system can generate and under estimate how much power they use.

You can get a Kill-a-Watt meter pretty cheaply (Home Depot, Lowes, online, etc.) and start measuring your loads.

For emergency power, you need to plan on the minimum amount of power you will need. Think of camping. Use a propane or Coleman Fuel stove for cooking--Canned goods, water filter/purifier/pills, dry goods, etc. for a minimum of 3 days of autonomy before expecting outside help. To be honest, a few good LED flash lights are going to be more helpful vs generator/battery bank/solar power for anything more than charging a radio+smart phone+laptop+some LED lighting. You can build a small battery+solar+AC backup charger to keep the phones/small laptop running--But that is probably about it.

The Kill-a-Watt meter will really be a good education in electrical power usage.

Questions?

-Bill

PS: You only need to start one thread... I have merged the two threads into one. -BB
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Since say 4-8 hours is what you are preparing for (unless it happens every day), then perhaps an even simpler and less expensive way to do it is to go "apartment camping". :) I do this from time to time at the house when the outages are short and I don't want to drag out all the gear only to have the lights come back on 30 minutes later. Solar isn't even involved yet...

Lights: Rayovac Sportsman LED camping lanterns. Run from AA or D cell batteries. I find the smaller AA sufficient and just place a few in different rooms. Thing is, the color temperature of the led is definitely led looking, but for a few hours I can handle it. They look a LOT better when you are the only one on the block that has any light whatsoever!

Fan: 02 Cool fans. My larger 10-inch fans run from 8 D batteries.

Coffee: Without AC, the igniters for my gas range don't work. Use a fireplace starter to get the range going, and use teakettle to boil water. Then use either a coffee press, or a single cup filter holder and pour hot water over the grind into the cup.

These are a few of the lighter-weight things you can prepare for immediately. Stock some FRESH AA alkaline and rotate / give them away every few years to stay with the freshest. Or go nuts like I do with Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables and a Maha charger ...
  • Lioness29

Thanks so much for the reply Bill. Getting an outside generator isn't an option. I want something inside. I've already made some of the preparations you mentioned. I guess I want some creature comforts if power is ever off for more than 3 days.

I don't understand what a Kill-a-Watt meter is. Do you point it at an appliance and it registers how many watts are needed to run the appliance? I know my ignorance is showing but the only way to learn is to ask. :-)

Would the list below be a more realistic expectation?
    An LED light (good enough to read by) Use 4 hours per day
    600 watt microwave: 1,795 WH / 600 Watt = 3.0 hours Use 1/4 hour per day
    recharge computer (laptop): 1,795 WH / 40 Watt = 44.9 hours Use 1 hour per day (is that long enough to recharge laptop?)
    smartphone: 1,795 Watts / 5 watts = 359 hours of charging Use 1/8 hour per day (is that long enough to recharge laptop?)
    refrigerator: 1,795 Watts / ~60 watts = 29.9 hours Use 4 hours (minimum to keep everything cool) per day
  • Lioness29

Thanks PNjunction! You have some good suggestions for shorter emergencies. I like the Rayovac idea and the battery operated fans. I don't have a gas range so how do I cook food or make coffee? Thats where I thought a low-wattage microwave was needed. Are you pleased with the rechargeable batteries? I researched that possibility but found out you are limited to a finite number of charges to the batteries so that sounded like an expensive solution.
  • Lioness29

Thanks for the reply Tony! I had a good laugh when I read your comment: "What do you need a hair blower for in an emergency?" LOL You're right...what was I thinking!
    Ok. I like the idea of 15-20 watt cfl and/or LED. Can you explain a little more about how a Kill-a-watt meter works?

I joined this forum because I realized that I was wayyyy too uneducated in DIY power generation but wanted to learn. For example, most of the following is like a foreign language to me: "300 watts Siemens/BP panels,plus a Sun 90,, making ~400. ~30 amps into Rogue MPT-3024, 450 ah of Trojan T-105, Morningstar ts300 inverter, a Tri-Metric meter.a collection of antique generators, plus 2 Honda eu-1000i's (also a BS2512 IX controller) and assorted other stuff!" But I'm trying and don't give up easily!!!
  • Lioness29

Thanks solar_dave for your reply! I've learned a lot from the forum already. I didn't realize that "all resistance type heating items are notorious huge energy consumers". So if I don't want a huge energy consumer, how do I stay warm and rehydrate/cook my dehydrated food inside my apartment?

A Honda inverter type generator would have to be used outside wouldn't it? I want something for inside that is quiet if possible.
  • Lioness29

Thanks westbranch for the information. I didn't realize HEAT gobbled up so much energy. I could pare down my list to a light in one room, small fan in one room, recharge my laptop and smartphone. But I need some way to cook food and stay warm in an emergency. Or maybe I should ask, "What would $500 buy me?

Several posters have mentioned my need for a Kill-a-watt meter. Could you explain a little more about it? Thanks westbranch.
  • Lioness29

Bill, Several posters have mentioned that my expectations are too high for a $500 system. Based on my initial wants/needs, what do you think $500 TOTAL COST would buy me? Thanks.
  • BB.
    Lioness29 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the reply Bill. Getting an outside generator isn't an option. I want something inside. I've already made some of the preparations you mentioned. I guess I want some creature comforts if power is ever off for more than 3 days.

And this is the problem... For folks that live in cities/apartment, there is very little that you can do safely/legally in the way of larger amounts of power that we have all become accustom to.

Short answer, is pretend you are camping. Sleeping bag, perhaps even a small tent to try and keep warm (depends on what your local climate conditions). Some LED flashlights/"laterns", and a few 1 lb propane bottles and a camp stove.

Water can be a big problem too... In a house (and many apartments), you may have a 30-60 gallon water heater that you can drain... But otherwise, the city may shut off water (to stop sewers from flooding), or if you are in a taller building, they may lose pumps to get water to the upper floors/elevator access (past 4-6 stories, things become very difficult without utility power). You can get ~40 gallon plastic bags to fill in a bathtub and use a small pump to get fresh water. If you can plan ahead before the water fails. Otherwise, you are going to want around 1 gallon of water per person per day.

Pretty much, the emergency plan is to survive for at least 3 days before you expect organized help (in a major emergency). And beyond that time, you should have a way to evacuate (and a back pack to carry food/water/warm clothes/water filter/etc.).

We are in earthquake country here--And did do that for many years. But--our bug-out pack is probably full of expired life boat ration bars, water pouches, and flashlight batteries. Plus we never update to 4 bug-out backpacks as we had kids (oldest is about turn 18--Time flies). But we do now have a shed out back with some freeze dried 20+ year food, genset and 20 gallons of gasoline (recycled to the car every December), etc...
    I don't understand what a Kill-a-Watt meter is. Do you point it at an appliance and it registers how many watts are needed to run the appliance? I know my ignorance is showing but the only way to learn is to ask. :-)

Basically, it is an inexpensive meter that can measure the rate of power you use (Watts), and the quantity of power you use (Watt*Hours or kWH).

So--Time for Math (yes, there is always math on this forum).

Watts is a rate--Sort of like Miles per Gallon (or Miles per Hour).

And Watt*Hours is an amount. You drove 100 miles (or used 4 gallons of gasoline) to get there. kWH is simple 1,000x a Watt*Hour (1 kWH = 1,000 WH).

You will see people say their heater uses 1,000 Watts per Hour -- And that is wrong. It simply uses 1,000 Watts. (a rate, like miles per hour).

And if you ran that 1,000 watt heater for four hours, that would be 1,000W*4H=4,000 WH = 4 kWH of power used. (an amount of power used, like 100 miles driven).

There is more math, that that is more than enough to get you started with a Kill-a-Watt meter (you can buy one from our host, many times at local hardware stores, and some libraries will lend K-a-W meters). Somewhere around $25-$35 each. And you can plug in your refrigerator, coffee maker, TV, computer, desk lamp, etc... For items that cycle (refrigerator, computer, etc.), you can leave the meter plugged for 1-4 days and find out how many kWH you used. Then divide by the hours it was plugged in and find out the average Watts over that 1-4 day period.

For example. Say you have a refrigerator... You plug in the Kill-a-Watt and see sometimes zero watts, 60 watts, and sometimes >600 watts (when compressor is starting or defront heaters are running.

You leave it plugged in for 33 hours and read 2.15 kWH of usage:
    • 2,150 WH / 33 hours = 65 Watts (average power)

If you want to run the refrigerator for 3 days, then you would use:
    • 65 watts * 24 hours per day * 3 days = 4,680 Watt*Hours = 4.7 kWH for three days of backup power

You don't know it yet--But that is quite a bit of power to expect from a "portable" battery system. Just to give you an idea--A standard good sized car battery is around 12 volts @ 80 Amp*Hours. It stores:
    • 12 volts * 80 Amp*Hours = 960 Watt*Hours = ~ 1 kWH
    • 4,600 WH * 1/0.85 inverter losses * 1/960 WH per battery = 5.6 = 6 car batteries to run just fridge for 3 days

There are other technical reasons, but basically, you would need ~10-12 "car sized" lead acid batteries to "reliably" run your fridge for 3+ days.

Or, you would need a 50 lb generator + 1-2 gallons of gasoline. Why generators are very nice for short term power outages.
    Would the list below be a more realistic expectation?
    An LED light (good enough to read by) Use 4 hours per day

LED lighting is really neat. You can get quite a bit of light from a 1 watt to 10 watt LED fixture... I have a nice little 2 cell flashlight with lithium (not rechargeable) batteries that will store for 10+ years, and run from ~1 hour on very high (like a small car spot light) to >30 days on very low (enough to walk around the home without tripping, read some instructions, etc.). There are similar versions of the light that run on 2x AA cells, or even 1 cell lights (I am a guy, I can get away with carrying a nice flashlight:p).

http://www.foursevens.com/products/flashlights/Pro

You can also get some pretty decent lighting from LED lamps that are not much bigger than a AAA battery (over 5 hours of enough light to safely hike in the woods, etc.):

http://www.arcflashlight.com/arc-aaa.shtml

(I do have both--And they have lasted for many years--And usually get lost before they have had any problems).

But, back to your questions... About the largest battery bank you could use would be (for example) 2x 6 volt * 220 AH batteries (aka golf cart--around $160 to $300 per pair for flooded cell). What could you run?
    • 2 * 6 volt * 220 AH * 80% discharge (don't take rechargeable batteries "dead") = 2,112 WH = 2.1 kWH

Take the Average Watts that you want to run, and divide it into the available Watt*Hours. Or, say you want power for ~8 hours per day * 3 days:
    • 2,112 WH * 1/(30 watt computer+6 watt smart phone+10Watt LED light) = 2,112 WH / 46 watt load = 45.9 hours (roughly)
    • 2,112 WH * 1/(8 hours*3 days) = 88 Watts for those three 8 hour days of emergency power

That chartI gave you earlier, is close enough to start (used 1,795 WH for battery capacity):
    • 600 watt microwave: 1,795 WH / 600 Watt = 3.0 hours Use 1/4 hour per day
    • recharge computer (laptop): 1,795 WH / 40 Watt = 44.9 hours Use 1 hour per day (is that long enough to recharge laptop?)
    • smartphone: 1,795 Watts / 5 watts = 359 hours of charging Use 1/8 hour per day (is that long enough to recharge laptop?)
    • refrigerator: 1,795 Watts / ~60 watts = 29.9 hours Use 4 hours (minimum to keep everything cool) per day

But 2x golf cart batteries may be too heavy for your needs (~134 lbs total). And, flooded cell batteries "vent" hydrogen gas and sulfuric acid mist (electrolyte) during normal usage (during recharging). Usually, not the best thing to have in your closet or under your bed (another issue, you do not want a broken bed spring to short out the top of your battery bank--Full blown Fire in 30 seconds).

So, you might instead want to look at a single 12 volt sealed AGM type battery... These batteries only vent if severely over charged (or at the end of their life). No maintenance and much cleaner (and less sulfur smell). But they are more expensive and may last a couple years less than a flooded cell battery bank. Weights about 66 lbs and also costs around $300. But is only stores 1/2 the energy of the pair of Golf Cart Batteries, so all the times are 1/2 of the previous example:
    • 12 volts * 104 AH * 0.80 discharge = 998 WH = ~1 kWH

Energy usage is a highly personal set of choices--But I would suggest you figure out how to conserve, use alternative source of heat (such as propane camp stove). And figure out how much power you need to run a few lights, Laptop, radio, small tv, etc... that makes sense for you.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • PNjunction
    You have some good suggestions for shorter emergencies.
    I see we've gone from a 4-8 hour power outage annoyance to a 3-day emergency plan which changes the strategy a bit.

As far as AA rechargeables, I get long life out of them because I treat them right, and don't buy the cheapest thing off the rack. Unfortunately, most consumers are sold old stock batteries, or they come with very poor chargers. It almost seems like a conspiracy at times. That's one reason I use low-self-discharge (aka "precharged") batteries like Sanyo Eneloops and Maha/Powerex chargers. There's way more to it, but for now one can get by very well just being aware of these two highly regarded brands by us battery geeks.

One emergency tip that should be considered before ALL others - YOU NEED GOOD SHOES. As funny as it sounds, in an earthquake, fire, or other catastrophe, the last thing you need to do is lacerate your feet stumbling around in the dark (especially in earthquake country) taking you out of action, preventing you from helping yourself or others. In addition, emergency services are already busy attending to events, so you may not get help for quite awhile. Camping boots under the bed or some other place you can actually get to them, while not very fashionable, helps keep you in action.

One other consideration is despite collecting all your emergency gear, are you going to have to leave it all behind if you have only 10 minutes to evacuate to another location?

At any rate, if you are able to stay in place, and the outages/emergencies are longer than 4 hours, then you'll be needing a LOT of power. Not only for you, but also possibly for neighbors that need help. The gurus here know their stuff far better than I do, so I'll keep reading as well....
  • BB.

I am the one that spoke of 3 days of emergency prep... 4-8 hour outage, I probably would not even pull out the small Honda eu2000i I have to make power (other than to exercise the system). But I live in a temperate climate and don't need heat or A/C to survive comfortably.

The 3 day is a standard disaster plan recommendation. Take care of your self to let emergency responders to take care of the hot spots (collapses, injuries, sick, etc.).

I keep coming back to the rules of "3's" (not sure if all are part of the original list, added one or two for completeness). You risk death after:
    • 3 minutes without air
    • 3 hours without shelter (extreme climates/weather)
    • 3 days without water
    • 3 weeks without food

If you are not in a collapse (no air or no shelter), water is the critical first need. 2-4 quarts (2-4 liters) minimum per day. In hot weather, during excursion, you may need more. Symptoms of dehydration can occur within hours if you do not have access to water.

Personally, other than a flashlight and a small radio with batteries, I use stored fuel (propane, gasoline) for cooking/boiling water. Have some new trash cans and a water bag to store water (and an earthquake reenforced 50 gallon water heater) for emergency water.

I do have a generator + stored fuel (and fuel in car and a siphon hose). But I treat it like camping. Electricity is a luxury (unless you need a small fan because of hot/humid climate).

You can certainly find small 7 watt solar panels + 4x AA battery charger with USB output for ~$100-$200. I got one (I love gadgets) and tried recharging my Android phone, and it worked fine in full sun. The AA batteries can be used in LED flash lights--But frankly, I just get a 40 battery pack from Costco and they will easily store for >5 years in a cool room/closet. That will give me weeks to month+ of power with good quality LED flash lights and small radio+ear buds.

Remember, if you are planning on using DSL or Cable Modem with your laptop, there is a good chance that the Internet will fail after 4-12 hours as the backup batteries/pole top generators run out of fuel. Cell phone based internet may not do much better (unless you do dial-up--and who even has the modem/account to do that anymore).

For $500... Get a $300 battery, a $100 small AC inverter, and a $100 AC battery charger. You will not be able to power heaters, but it will give you 1-3 days of reasonable amounts of AC (or DC) power. Batteries will probably need to be replaced every 3-5 years. Flooded cell batteries need distilled water every 1-2 months (in float service). So, you are looking at ~$100 per year just to keep the system working (battery replacement, distilled water, etc.).

The Xantrex type portable/backup power systems, in my humble opinion, are not well balanced between the Battery Bank capacity and AC power output.

The Xantrex 1,500 watt output with a 51 AH 12 volt battery:
    • 51 AH * 12 volts * 0.85 inverter eff * 0.80 max discharge = 416 WH of "useful" 120 VAC energy

Running the inverter at 1,500 watts (i.e., microwave oven) will kill the battery in ~15 minutes. A single burner propane stove on a 16 oz propane bottle will run 1+ hours per bottle.

If you still need battery powered AC--Use the kill-a-watt meter to measure your average loads and get the smallest inverter that will support those loads. Large inverters running (on average) very small loads are not too efficient (you waste energy running the inverter electronics). If you could justify it (not cheap)--This Morningstar 300 watt 12 volt / 120 AC inverter is very rugged and power efficient (and "goes to low power sleep" if there is no AC load). People here have run their homes/cabins for years on one or two of these guys (not recommended for larger homes/cabins--12 volt battery bank is too small). It will run any small AC loads you have (short of fridge, washer, A/C, etc.).

Add some sort of battery charger (like one of these smaller units with an IQ4 option). Good/heavy cabling with bolted up connections (alligator clips do not work on "real" AC inverters with significant power capabilities).

A 100 AH to 220 AH 12 volt battery bank will meet your basic needs (other than refrigerator power). Just use small energy efficient appliances (no heating). Keep plugged into AC power to keep battery bank charged. Check water levels (flooded cell batteries) once a month. You should get a small Digital Multi-Meter so you can monitor the battery voltage (below 11.5 volts, dead; 12.7 volts, charged; 13.2-13.8 volts, floating; 13.8 to 14.4 volts, charging; etc.).

-Bill
  • PNjunction

BB - gotta' agree with you on most things. Don't forget a "solar shower", the black plastic bag you hang in the sun. After 3 days, even a lukewarm sprinkle-shower is total luxury when things start to get funky. :)

I think you are spot on about treating it like camping especially for someone in an apartment. No matter what, do a practice run with whatever gear you end up with. Reading the instructions and becoming familiar with the wiring is not something you do for the first time when the emergency occurs. One simple goal might be to try and see if you can get through a weekend with it.

Doing a practice run will quickly determine if you'll go stark raving mad in 2 hours and just put the keys in the ignition and get out of dodge, or stick it out for a few days. Unfortunately, depending on where you live, having lighting, food, entertainment going where everything else around you is pitch black can be a neon billboard for come-and-get-it, so now you have to think about personal protection.

In a sense, if you have LED lighting instead of cfl's burning that look more like true light, it just appears at a distance to be someone just trying to make it with their camping gear, and not advertising a fully-blown power backup system inside. It saddens me to have to think that way.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Thanks westbranch for the information. I didn't realize HEAT gobbled up so much energy. I could pare down my list to a light in one room, small fan in one room, recharge my laptop and smartphone. But I need some way to cook food and stay warm in an emergency. Or maybe I should ask, "What would $500 buy me?

Several posters have mentioned my need for a Kill-a-watt meter. Could you explain a little more about it? Thanks westbranch.
    A Kill-A-Watt is an inexpensive little gizmo that you plug into a wall outlet; you plug an appliance into its on-board outlet and it tells you how much the appliance uses by way of an LCD screen. Google it and buy on line.

Something I don't see addressed is the question of where you would put the solar modules you are thinking about getting for your apartment. Enough solar to do you any good is going to be fairly large.
  • Lioness29

Thanks ggunn. Sounds like I need a Kill-A-Watt. You explained it very well. Re the solar modules, my sister lives in a house. I'm thinking she would get the solar panels (along with an inverter, generator, etc for herself). When I needed to recharge my generator, I would take it to her house less than a mile away. BTW, as far as I can tell, you can NOT collect solar with panels placed against a window inside the apartment. I'm told the glass reflects the sun rays. Is that right?
  • Lioness29

PNjunction, the practice run is what I'm working on now. I appreciate the personal protection angle. I've thought about that issue...living in an apartment. I like the LED idea that downplays what resources I have in my apartment. Still, I need to be able to cook. I have a Volcano Grill with cooking pot but would have to use it outdoors (for everyone to see). Indoor cooking would be better it seems.
  • BB.

If you have a balcony that gets at least a few hours of direct sun per day--You can hang them from the railings--But it has to be done safely--And your manager may have a heart attack anyway.

Get a small propane camp stove with those ~1-2 lb propane bottles. A large 20 lb (~4 gallon) BBQ tank is nice--But is not safe (and is illegal) to keep in a home/garage. They can vent large amounts of propane if they get hot.

If you have a south facing window that you can remove the screen and open to sun--A small solar panel can collect enough power to recharge your cell phone and a few AA batteries. But you need something like direct sun from 9am to 3pm or so. And you may need to move the panel around to keep it in the sun (or a small bracket you can hang out the window).

-Bill
  • Lioness29

Wow Bill! You have filled my brain with a lot of information. I'll have to read this over and over to let it sink in. The "Rule of 3s" is very practical.

You said: "For $500... Get a $300 battery, a $100 small AC inverter, and a $100 AC battery charger. You will not be able to power heaters, but it will give you 1-3 days of reasonable amounts of AC (or DC) power. Batteries will probably need to be replaced every 3-5 years. Flooded cell batteries need distilled water every 1-2 months (in float service). So, you are looking at ~$100 per year just to keep the system working (battery replacement, distilled water, etc.)." If power is out how would I recharge the battery since the battery charger wouldn't work? With my car? I can handle replacing the battery every 3-5 years, but is there another kind of battery that doesn't require putting water in it every couple of months?

Remember, if you are planning on using DSL or Cable Modem with your laptop, there is a good chance that the Internet will fail after 4-12 hours as the backup batteries/pole top generators run out of fuel. Cell phone based internet may not do much better (unless you do dial-up--and who even has the modem/account to do that anymore). Isn't that why I need a power source -- to recharge my laptop and smartphone when their internal batteries run down?

You can certainly find small 7 watt solar panels + 4x AA battery charger with USB output for ~$100-$200. I got one (I love gadgets) and tried recharging my Android phone, and it worked fine in full sun. Can you give me brand, model, etc. If all of my grandiose ideas about a backup system fail (I hope not though), I might want to just be able to recharge my electronics. I like gadgets too!

The AA batteries can be used in LED flash lights--But frankly, I just get a 40 battery pack from Costco and they will easily store for >5 years in a cool room/closet. That will give me weeks to month+ of power with good quality LED flash lights and small radio+ear buds. I know this is a dumb question, but are you talking about a pack of 50 AA batteries or a "40 watt battery pack"?

Have some new trash cans and a water bag to store water (and an earthquake reenforced 50 gallon water heater) for emergency water. Trash cans are a good suggestion. What kind of water bag can be used for storing water? I'm thinking plastic garbage bags contaminate the drinking water. Are you saying the 50gallon water heater would be another source of drinking water or used for bath? I assume this would be if there was no electrical power to use the hot water heater as it is normally used.

BTW, can't I just look on the back of the appliances/electronics and see what wattage they require? If so, why do I need a Kill-A-Watt meter?

A single burner propane stove on a 16 oz propane bottle will run 1+ hours per bottle. This looks like a solution for cooking. Just store a few cylinders of propane.

Add some sort of battery charger (like one of these smaller units with an IQ4 option) I looked at the IQ4 chargers. As the amps go up, the price goes up. As the volts go up, the price goes up. This is where I start getting lost. I just don't understand the concept of amps and volts. Discouraging... I want to put together a system, but my ignorance is stunning!

Thanks for your suggestions Bill.
  • Lioness29
    PNjunction wrote: »
    I see we've gone from a 4-8 hour power outage annoyance to a 3-day emergency plan which changes the strategy a bit.

As far as AA rechargeables, I get long life out of them because I treat them right, and don't buy the cheapest thing off the rack. Unfortunately, most consumers are sold old stock batteries, or they come with very poor chargers. It almost seems like a conspiracy at times. That's one reason I use low-self-discharge (aka "precharged") batteries like Sanyo Eneloops and Maha/Powerex chargers. There's way more to it, but for now one can get by very well just being aware of these two highly regarded brands by us battery geeks. Unfortunately I'm one of those consumers who probably buys old stock. lol I really like Amazon but are their batteries considered "old stock"? Guess I want something I don't have to keep checking on. Can I just buy the Sanyo or Maha/Powerex and they stay charged up for when needed...maybe a month later or 10 years later?

One emergency tip that should be considered before ALL others - YOU NEED GOOD SHOES. As funny as it sounds, in an earthquake, fire, or other catastrophe, the last thing you need to do is lacerate your feet stumbling around in the dark (especially in earthquake country) taking you out of action, preventing you from helping yourself or others. In addition, emergency services are already busy attending to events, so you may not get help for quite awhile. Camping boots under the bed or some other place you can actually get to them, while not very fashionable, helps keep you in action. Very good! Will look into the shoe issue!!!

One other consideration is despite collecting all your emergency gear, are you going to have to leave it all behind if you have only 10 minutes to evacuate to another location? Good point.

At any rate, if you are able to stay in place, and the outages/emergencies are longer than 4 hours, then you'll be needing a LOT of power. Not only for you, but also possibly for neighbors that need help. The gurus here know their stuff far better than I do, so I'll keep reading as well....
    I'm definitely thinking in terms of extra to help those around me. Ultimately, we're all in this together...whether we realize it or not.
  • Lioness29

If you have a balcony that gets at least a few hours of direct sun per day--You can hang them from the railings--But it has to be done safely--And your manager may have a heart attack anyway. I'm not so sure I want to have the panels outside the apartments for "the world" to see. If I decide on a solar option for power, it might be better to charge up the generator at my sister's home and let her get the solar panels. She could mount them on the roof of their home.

Get a small propane camp stove with those ~1-2 lb propane bottles. A large 20 lb (~4 gallon) BBQ tank is nice--But is not safe (and is illegal) to keep in a home/garage. They can vent large amounts of propane if they get hot. Yes, a small propane camp stove is a good idea.

If you have a south facing window that you can remove the screen and open to sun--A small solar panel can collect enough power to recharge your cell phone and a few AA batteries. But you need something like direct sun from 9am to 3pm or so. And you may need to move the panel around to keep it in the sun (or a small bracket you can hang out the window). So buying rechargeable AA batteries is a good idea rather than the disposable ones! I appreciate the help everyone is giving me. I've been trying to do this all by myself and was quite overwhelmed!!!
  • Lioness29

I think I've already answered your post ggunn, but I'm still very new to this forum (and web site) and don't know my way around. If I go solar, my sister would keep the solar panels at her home and I would recharge the generator as needed (she lives close by). This may not be the place for my next question, but you explained the Kill-A-Watt thing so well... Simply put, what is an amp? A watt? A volt? I can't seem to wrap my mind around these terms.
  • BB.
    You said: "For $500... Get a $300 battery, a $100 small AC inverter, and a $100 AC battery charger. You will not be able to power heaters, but it will give you 1-3 days of reasonable amounts of AC (or DC) power. Batteries will probably need to be replaced every 3-5 years. Flooded cell batteries need distilled water every 1-2 months (in float service). So, you are looking at ~$100 per year just to keep the system working (battery replacement, distilled water, etc.)." If power is out how would I recharge the battery since the battery charger wouldn't work? With my car? I can handle replacing the battery every 3-5 years, but is there another kind of battery that doesn't require putting water in it every couple of months?

And that is the problem. In an apartment with poor direct sun and no place to store/run a gasoline powered genset--You are pretty much hosed (sorry for using the technical/engineering term ;)). If you are serious about electric power. Get a Honda eu1000i for $700 or so and a siphon to pull gasoline from your car into a 1 gallon gas can. Put the "battery+charger" on a wagon/hand truck (remember--no elevators? May need to limit to what you can drag down stairs or if you can through an extension cord out your window to an open area on the ground). About the only practical "mid-range" power option short of getting your landlord to let you install a few solar panels on apartment roof).

After 3 days of no utility power--You are going to need to do some serious planning. In California with earthquakes--Only a few blocks at a time are affected. A mile away, everything may be fine. In Hurricanes, they can wipe out 10's of miles (or more) inland and hundreds of miles of coastlines. Ice storms or North East blackout, no power at county to multiple states--Where can you go to get supplies/fuel?--What if the water and sewer pumping is shutdown? Different disasters, different needs.
    Remember, if you are planning on using DSL or Cable Modem with your laptop, there is a good chance that the Internet will fail after 4-12 hours as the backup batteries/pole top generators run out of fuel. Cell phone based internet may not do much better (unless you do dial-up--and who even has the modem/account to do that anymore). Isn't that why I need a power source -- to recharge my laptop and smartphone when their internal batteries run down?

Phone calls and Texting is pretty well supported (got one, the other is there too).

Internet--Requires a whole bunch of infrastructure to function. And that infrastructure requires a lot of power. A single Cell Repeater site at our local church uses 5 kWatts 24x7 (or ~120 kWH per day). And they have two or three such repeaters at the site (AT&T, others, etc.). That is more electric power in a day that my home with 4 people uses in a week.

Similar for Cable Internet.

If you still have a land line (local phone company), that is were you will (possibly) have reliable long term internet in an outage. I would not count on much more than 4-12 hours of cable internet (or possibly phone company DSL) until it has been proven (i.e., you already had a 2 day power outage and kept Internet). My wife won't get rid of our land line--Keeping it exactly for emergency use (phone company has large battery bank+generator with week or more of emergency fuel--AT&T designed system for disaster survival)

If you limit your power use to recharging a smart phone--You do not need very much in the way of a battery bank or even solar panel. Your laptop uses about 6x as much power as the smart phone, but it probably can run OK too.

You can certainly find small 7 watt solar panels + 4x AA battery charger with USB output for ~$100-$200. I got one (I love gadgets) and tried recharging my Android phone, and it worked fine in full sun. Can you give me brand, model, etc. If all of my grandiose ideas about a backup system fail (I hope not though), I might want to just be able to recharge my electronics. I like gadgets too!

I got a 7 watt Goal Zero portable system (around $100-$140 or so--Costco sometimes sells in store). There have been a couple complaints that the Goal Zero was not very rugged--Perhaps some folks here can recommend something else.

Otherwise, you can look at these (smaller) solar panels and see if any will fit your needs for the apartment (pick the panel that will fit, then design the rest of the system around the panel and see if it will work for you). Note that most panels are thin tempered glass and are easy to shatter if hit with metal/rocks/etc. You have to treat them just like the glass on a picture frame.

I know this is a dumb question, but are you talking about a pack of 50 AA batteries or a "40 watt battery pack"?

A big pack of 40-50x AA Cell batteries from Costco. Should easily last 5 or more years in storage without losing too much power.

Trash cans are a good suggestion. What kind of water bag can be used for storing water? I'm thinking plastic garbage bags contaminate the drinking water. Are you saying the 50gallon water heater would be another source of drinking water or used for bath? I assume this would be if there was no electrical power to use the hot water heater as it is normally used.

Here is one example of a 50-100 gallon water bag for a bathtub. (don't know anything about website/product).

BTW, can't I just look on the back of the appliances/electronics and see what wattage they require? If so, why do I need a Kill-A-Watt meter?

Not really--For various reasons. First, the ratings may be worse case, average, or something else. And for something that cycles on and off (refrigerator, laptop used most of the day, etc.)--The Kill-a-Watt "totalizes" the total energy used. It just makes it much easier and more accurate than using the labels.

Sort of like your car--You can estimate how much gas you used based on your driving habits, freeway, mountain driving, etc... But pulling up to the gas pump tells you exactly how much gasoline you used in the last week.

Kill-a-Watt meters are also handy for conservation. How much power does that refrigerator/window Air Conditioner costing you every day.
    Add some sort of battery charger (like one of these smaller units with an IQ4 option) I looked at the IQ4 chargers. As the amps go up, the price goes up. As the volts go up, the price goes up. This is where I start getting lost. I just don't understand the concept of amps and volts. Discouraging... I want to put together a system, but my ignorance is stunning!

Which is why we start with loads and conservation first... Looking at the hardware before you even know what size battery bank/daily load you want to support--There are too many options for the first timer--Frustrating (sorry).

But basically, those AA and C/D Cell batteries are ~1.2 volts. Your car has a 12 volt battery system. The city bus probably has a 24 volt battery system, and your home is a 120/240 Volt AC power system from the utility.

It just depends on what you loads you want to run and how big of battery bank you want to have. For a smaller system (like you are looking at), it probably will be 12 volts.

A battery charger for a deep cycle power system should be around 5% to 13% (and upwards of 20-25% can be OK) battery charger... So, if you wanted a 12 volt @ 100 AH battery bank, then the rated charging current would be around (for a 12 volt charger which outputs around 14.2 to 14.6 volts when charging a 12 volt battery bank):
    • 100 AH * 0.05 rate of charge = 5 amps minimum
    • 100 AH * 0.10 rate of charge = 10 amps nominal
    • 100 AH * 0.13 rate of charge = 13 amps good sized charger
    • 100 AH * 0.20 rate of charge = 20 amps you want "fast charging"
    • 100 AH * 0.25 rate of charge = 25 amps you want "faster charging"

So--Until we know the size of your loads--Which drives the size of your battery bank--which drives the size of your solar array+AC backup battery charger, etc...

None of this is exact--Look above, I said that a 5 amp to 25 amp 12 volt charger would work well for you... That is a 5:1 range with "fuzzy edges".

Not really trying to make it so complex... If you do it a step at a time, you will get through it fine (you may need some help if you are not mechanically/electrically inclined the first time through building a system).

-Bill
  • BB.

You could go to a community college and take a Electricity 101 type class.

Some reading (search for boating electrical wiring, etc.):

Electricity for Boaters - BoatSafe.com (online--two web pages on the basics)
    quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Panamretiree viewpost-right.png
    A good manual on boat electrics is: Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems by Nigel Calder. Goes through all issues that you can be confronted with, including solar, wind and hydro power. Has considerable information on grounding and bonding in a boat. Approximately $36.00 on Amazon.com.

Cheers

From another website, I saw this Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook recommended.

Please ask... There are lots of ways to hurt yourself with electricity and lead acid batteries (they output a lot of energy into a short circuit, and they have a 30% strength sulfuric acid in them, as well as generating explosive hydrogen gas).

-Bill
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

When I sat in the cold and dark after an ice storm, I quickly realized that while heat was important it was NOT what I most wanted! I wanted LIGHT! Not some weak, barely-see-the-walls type of light either - I wanted a decently bright room. I now have an impressive collection of lighting options after tinkering and experimenting and trying out all kinds of things over the years.

Obviously, as you already mentioned, LED lighting is the way to go. I get "reward points" on my credit card and recently went sifting through the useless junk they offer in exchange. I found some Coleman LED lighting goodies, which I *love*. They both use D-cell batteries, and last a very long time on a single set so I'm not worried about rechargeables - just have an extra brick of D-cells on hand.

The Coleman Quad LED Lantern is absolutely wonderful. Uses 8 D cells, has four removable LED panels around the perimeter. All attached, the thing is BRIGHT! It'll light a room nicely, or even a good chunk of outdoors. Lasts 75 hours on a set of batteries, but if you don't need as much light you can detach one or more of the panels and it'll use less power - thus lasting even longer. The really cool part, though, is that each of the four panels has AAA rechargeable batteries inside. The D-cells in the base keep them topped up, and if you need to walk away from the main unit (go to the bathroom, garage, whatever) you can detach a panel, turn it on separately (they each have their own on/off switch) and it'll run for a couple hours on the internal batteries while the rest of the lantern stays in the main area.

I also have the Coleman 4D CPX LED Work Light. Uses 4 D cells, has a single LED bulb that's INTENSE and extremely focused. Won't light a room well, but can throw a spot beam a LONG way. Lasts up to 83 hours.

The great thing with these is they're highly portable, so you can take them with you if/when you have to go elsewhere.

For a larger setup in-apartment I would go with (preferably) an AGM battery (also often called "sealed lead acid battery") and a small 200-300W inverter. If the AGM is too expensive for the size you want (they run 2-3x more than flooded) you could go with a deep-cycle type battery. I used one for several years in my apartment back when, just be careful with it! The small inverter keeps extra losses low (the extra power the inverter uses itself - the bigger they are the more they use generally) but is plenty to run a light or laptop. AGM batteries come in all different sizes, from small enough to fit in your hand to car-battery-size or bigger. To run very much for very long you'll be looking at something closer to car battery size. (But don't use an actual car battery, they're not designed for long slow draw-down and you'll kill it quick!)

I have a 100AH AGM under my desk (normally powers my ham radio gear) and a 300W inverter. I also have a collection of 12V lights - RV lights, LED work lights for cars, so forth - that I could run directly from the battery avoiding the inverter losses. This battery is part of a smaller solar system, but I have other smaller (10AH or so) AGM batteries that I keep topped up with a Battery Tender charger.

Those are all now "backup to the backup" systems for me, as I have a whole-house off-grid capable system, but I used a similar setup several times when I was in my apartment years ago. One night I even ran a small television (tube-type!), alarm clock and fluorescent lamp off the marine battery and 220W el-cheapo Radio Shack inverter I had at the time during one outage. The apartment manager was laughing when I saw him the next day. He said he was walking down the front of the property - pitch black far as the eye could see, but my bedroom window was lit up bright as day and he could see the flicker of the TV! :D At another point I dragged the fluorescent floor lamp into the stairwell area with an extension cord and sat chatting with my neighbors. I didn't know all the gooey details of battery power then, I just used it 'til it died and recharged with the car if needed. Not ideal, but the marine battery still lasted several years for me - and did make that outages more pleasant!
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

A propane camp stove is a good idea. But it can't charge your cell phone or batteries. If you have a balcony, one of these Biolite stoves can cook your food and charge your cell phone, or batteries with a USB battery charger .

I have one and it works great. With a handful of small sticks/twigs, you can boil a small pot of water. With a shoe box of sticks, you can cook your dinner and put a useable charge in your cell phone and batteries. With a large box of sticks you can fully charge a cell phone and batteries and cook a few days of meals.
  • Lioness29

Thanks mtdoc for the reply. I'll check it out.
  • Lioness29

Hi Random Joe, I checked out the Coleman Quad Lantern. It looks great. I just wish it was rechargeable! If I get one, I'll need a block of D Cell batteries. How do you make sure you don't have old batteries?

You said: "just be careful with it! The small inverter keeps extra losses low (the extra power the inverter uses itself" What are "extra losses" and "inverter losses", and what can happen if I'm not careful?
  • Lioness29

Thank mtdoc, It seems like the Biolite is a bit pricey for what you get. It wouldn't charge my laptop, only the cell phone. Except for charging the cell phone, wouldn't a BBQ grill work just as well?