Upgrading to run air conditioner

Options
2»

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Upgrading to run air conditioner

As my room is heating up, as I've had the water heater running for the last hour, I do want to remind everyone that the Original Poster is trying to air condition an RV, so much of the discussion of central air and even mini splits doesn't pertain to him. Though the thread might help others, like me! (I hope to have a mini split sometime before next summer, for the family room and another inverter and/or a different inverter so I can run things like my water heater, fridge and A/C at once)

Though we haven't heard from the OP in a while...Hope he's staying cool.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    I do want to remind everyone that the Original Poster is trying to air condition an RV, so much of the discussion of central air and even mini splits doesn't pertain to him

I think it does apply. RV's are not insulated well so they're a big heat load for a A/C unit. RV A/C units, even the efficient ones, are notoriously inefficient compared to most central or mini-split units. So I think the total kWh requirement for this type of setup is going to rival a small central A/C unit for a home. At least the OP should have an idea now as to what it's going to take to run it. It's not as simple as hooking up a bunch of solar panels, some batteries and an inverter, then assuming the compressor will cycle on and off. I already made that mistake and I threw a LOT of money in solar at the problem and it still wouldn't run it.
    --
    Chris
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

I considered a mini-split for my camper since I hate the A/C that came with it (way too big for the small camper I have so it doesn't dehumidify well and is very loud). I also would take advantage of being able to run for 2 nights on about 6 batteries (no recharge), based on my Peukert calculations. For your average camper there is room on the tongue for the condenser, then you can mount the evaporator on a central wall.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is