SPDT switch to go feed inverter/charger or ac breaker box directly?

Options
Seedsca
Seedsca Registered Users Posts: 15
OK, this might sound weird. It's because I'm not exaclty a professional. The situation is that I'm in an off gridd location with solar 100v and an inverter/charger and battery bank 24v. I have parked my 5th wheel there and in it I have my own inverter/charger and battery bank 12v. My inverter is a Xantrex Prosine2 and it seems to be acting up. When I have it plugged to the AC comming from the solar inverter (it bypasses the AC and does not charging my batteries) it draws more current than it should. This is also a very innefficient design, I know. What I was thinking of doing was hooking up a SPDT switch to put in between the AC comming into the 5th wheel. What I would hope to do with this is either have the solar AC feeding the 5th wheel's AC breaker box directly (what I would do most of the time) or feeding my Xantrex thereby being able go charge my batteries (12v) and also bypass to the AC breaker. Does this make any sence? Should I go a different route?

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: SPDT switch to go feed inverter/charger or ac breaker box directly?
    Seedsca wrote: »
    Does this make any sence?

You shouldn't need to add a switch... when you power the 5th wheel from the house AC, the prosine2 should pass the AC through to your AC breaker box in the 5th wheel. It will also attempt to charge the batteries, but you wrote: "it bypasses the AC and does not charging my batteries" and "it draws more current than it should". Are you trying to say that it draws current as if it is charging the battery, but is not charging the battery?

I'm not sure of how your system is wired, and I'm not exactly sure what problem you are trying to explain. One set of details that I will need to know is how your house system and your 5th wheel system are grounded, and where you have bonded neutral to ground on both systems.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"....When I have it plugged to the AC comming from the solar inverter (it bypasses the AC and does not charging my batteries) it draws more current than it should...."

I think what your seeing as "...drawing more current than it should" is it charging your batteries. Assuming this is a Prosine 2.0.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Seedsca
    Options

I could be wrong here, but when I have the prosine2 hooked up to the AC and both inverter (doesn't really matter, but to clarify) and the charger functions are off, it should just pass the AC through, right? What I meant was that when I do this and the switches in the breaker box are all off, it should not be drawing anything, I thought. But it draws about 600 w with nothing on.

I'll look into the grounding mentioned. If I remember right the prosine and the DC are both grounded to the frame of the 5th wheel, the breaker box is not grounded. The Solar was professionally installed, I'm renting. The inverter and MPPT are both grounded to a ground rod.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seedsca wrote: »
    But it draws about 600 w with nothing on.

how and where are you measuring this 600 watts? --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Seedsca
    Options

I could be wrong here, but when I have the prosine2 hooked up to the AC and both inverter (doesn't really matter, but to clarify) and the charger functions are off, it should just pass the AC through, right? What I meant was that when I do this and the switches in the breaker box are all off, it should not be drawing anything, I thought. But it draws about 600 w with nothing on.

I'll look into the grounding mentioned. If I remember right the prosine and the DC are both grounded to the frame of the 5th wheel, the breaker box is not grounded. The Solar was professionally installed, I'm renting. The inverter and MPPT are both grounded to a ground rod.
  • Seedsca
    Options

Sorry for the double post. Satellite internet :)
    The 600 w are being measured by the Solar inverter (Xantrex Trace 24v) that is having no other draw than from the 5th wheel. It's screen reads 0.60
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

It sounds like the AC Converter (RV Battery Charger) may actually be active... You have to make sure that the Converter is disconnected, or its wiring is moved to a different location (i.e., install a short power outlet that hard wires the RV Converter, then plug the "rest of the RV" outlets to the either the AC Main or Inverter AC.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Seedsca
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    It sounds like the AC Converter (RV Battery Charger) may actually be active... You have to make sure that the Converter is disconnected, or its wiring is moved to a different location (i.e., install a short power outlet that hard wires the RV Converter, then plug the "rest of the RV" outlets to the either the AC Main or Inverter AC. -Bill
    I unplugged the Converter a while back. That's not causing it. I have all the breaker switches off, even the main. The AC goes from a GFCI outlet on the solar system, it trips all the time so there is likely a ground issue (that's for later), directly to the AC in of the Prosine2 from there it goes to the AC breaker in the 5th wheel, with all the switches off.