Newbie Question

2»

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Newbie Question

After about 6 years, the system still workes perfectly. I have never had a freeze up when I am home, and it takes less than 20 minutes to thaw when I have been away for a couple of weeks or months.

Tony
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭

Tony,

I'm interested in learning more about the automatic low point drains and valve drains that you were speaking about. Where did you buy them/what do they look like? (edit: just reread the thread and will try to find some from a sprinkler supply house) A quick Google search didn't turn up much in the way of detail.

Did you ever finish that magazine article? It's only been 2 years and I wouldn't want to rush you :p

Thanks

-Jerry
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

For sprinkler systems, automatic drains are very common (something like less than $5 each? Many should include check valve and dirt/tree root filter/barrier):

http://www.kinginnovation.com/products/irrigation-products/king-drains-2/king-drains/
    http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/The-Freeze-Drain-Irrigation-s-Best-Kept-Secret-s/7952.htm
    http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irrigation-Winterization-Guide-s/6276.htm

Basically, the valve opens when the pressure in the pipe drops below ~10 psi. At that point, the valve opens and lets the water drain out.

I was looking for those designed for domestic water systems--And I have not found any brass versions yet (did find one that appears to be for green house misting systems--But functional description was a bit wonky).

I am not in a hard freeze zone, so not much experience on my part.

You can also find automatic water drain valves for air compressors--But may not a good choice here (many different types--need one that opens when pressure drops near zero psi).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭

Thanks for those links Bill.

- Jerry
  • tmarch
    tmarch Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭

Good read, but wonder if those sheep ever got water. LOL
  • YYB_NB
    YYB_NB Registered Users Posts: 1

Question.

In an effort to avoid the heating tape, if you anchored the line, and sent regulated compressed air down the mainline (Less than 5 PSI) so that you don't trigger the drain valve, and push air all the back to your irrigation drain and then cap it (seal it), wouldn't that negate the need for heating the pipe if there's an air space in the line? Like placing your thumb over the top of a straw and putting it into a glass of water.

I know this is an old thread, but it's very informative, and I'm considering trying it, let me know your thoughts.

M
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I have blown out lines before -- More or less just playing around as we do not get hard freezes in our area.

But I like the idea of the sprinkler drain valves to automate the draining for a cabin. Turn of the pump/pressurization, and the lines "purge themselves" (probably need to add an upstream air vent (vacuum break) to allow water the chance to flow out cleanly.

And welcome to the forum "M".

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

watch out for a wee bit toooooo much pressure in the lines before opening the valves, the heads tend to have a habit of going 10 feet in the air when the air hits them...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada