Nyle Geyser Heat Pump Water Heater

silvertop
silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just recently purchased and installed the Nyle Geyser RO heat pump water heater, and just wanted to let everyone know how it's turned out. It's been great! We take 2 showers back to back in the morning and one at night with no issues. It's been averaging between 2.75 and 3.25 KWH per day. I installed this with a new Rheem 55 gallon tank, wired the tank for back up 220, but have never energized it. For the last 30 days, it's been running 100 percent on heat pump. This unit is installed in our mud room/utility room. It is quiet; we have more noise from our washer and dryer than this creates. The dehumidification is nice, and the distilled water produced works great for the batteries and/or plants. I went with this model because I can load shift and run it completely on solar, (it pulls 650 watts, 110V).

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Nyle Geyser Heat Pump Water Heater

Sounds great so far. Hopefully it doesn't cool off your utility room too much come Winter - - if you're in an area where Winter heating is required. The power consumption sounds really great for off grid :)
  • silvertop
    Sounds great so far. Hopefully it doesn't cool off your utility room too much come Winter - - if you're in an area where Winter heating is required. The power consumption sounds really great for off grid :)

I'm up north like you, 6-16-13......still not summer yet we had a hot spell a month ago and ran A/C but we have been burning a fire off and on this last month. It doesn't seem to increase our wood burning any, hard to tell if I had to throw another log on or not that's our heat source so it doesn't seem to make a dent either way.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    silvertop wrote: »
    The dehumidification is nice, and the distilled water produced works great for the batteries and/or plants.

Glad to hear of the good results. A heat pump is on my wish list.

I recall (but can't find the post) reading a discussion on this forum about using condensate for battery water. I don't recall why, but it was not a good idea... some sort of contamination from metal ions perhaps... I'll try searching for it again.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • silvertop

From what I have researched the water may be dusty if from a dirty environment . I would not drink this water but filtered should be fine for batteries and plants, It doesn't last long enough to build up significant bacteria to be harmful for plants or batteries.........
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

I have a Nyle Geyser as well and am very happy with it. I haven't tasted the water from it though....
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where did you purchase and at what cost?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Where did you purchase and at what cost?

I bought it direct from Nyle systems since there is no dealer near me. I got the RO model which has it's own controller, for $799. Not cheap but worth it IMO.

If you wanted to go a less expensive route you can get an incredible deal on an AirTap A7 on on ebay right now for $250! I'm not sure why they're being sold as "Power Mizer" it may be because they are no longer being made. I own one I haven't installed (and am keeping as a back up).

There's a nice thread on EcoRenovator about installing and using one of those. They're not quite as flexible as the Nyle Geyser (must be installed on top of existing water heater, etc) and the build quality is not as good IMO, but for the price you can't go wrong!
  • draines
    draines Registered Users Posts: 17

I know this thread has been dead for a year now....I am just entering the world of solar everything, and came across this Nyle "thingy". I am currently targeting getting my current on-grid consumption under control before slowly going solar, hopefully off-grid one day? Anyway, my current endeavor is my water heater. We bought a house with an existing 80-gal electric water heater (2 - 4,500w elements, max output of 4,500w), and I was looking into downsizing since there are only 2 in my house.

Then I thought maybe I could add a solar thermosyphon system in-line for the warmer months (I'm near Philadelphia)...
    Then I thought maybe I could change to smaller 120v elements...
    Then I saw this Nyle Geyser, which does seem "to good to be true" since I have also been looking for a low-energy dehumidifier! Two birds...one stone?

Anyway, the Nyle website says at my current electric rate ( $0.16 - $0.18 ) that my cost is approx $781.66...? I have no idea where that comes from? I am looking for advice on this being a good starting point for conservation? I am thinking that this be my first "appliance" to run completely off solar during the non-house-heating months.

It would also eliminte my needing to purchase a dehumidifier too, which all seem to be energy hogs.

Thanks in advance!
    Dan
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    draines wrote: »
    We bought a house with an existing 80-gal electric water heater (2 - 4,500w elements, max output of 4,500w), and I was looking into downsizing since there are only 2 in my house.

No need or reason to downsize the water heater. All resistance electric water heaters are as efficient as their insulation allows them to be. You can insulate it like a thermos if you wish. Also, there are some techniques to make sure you don't lose heat through the fittings... heat blocking valves, etc.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Did you check if you can get a rebate from your power co? I bet the Geyser probably would also qualify for an energystar rebate. I live in PA and got a $300.00 rebate from First Energy,( my electric co.} on a GE Geospring waterheater. Think mine is 4 years old now with no problems and it is energy efficient. Solarvic