Is anyone tested these PCM 4048 MPTT from Taiwan

Hello to all :)

This is excellent forum about solar technology .
Is anyone tried these MPPT charger from taiwan :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40A-mppt-solar-charge-controller-LCD-12V-24V-48V-/130543275317?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item1e64fc4d35#ht_3306wt_905

Price is fine , but I can not find any review of it ?

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Is anyone tested these PCM 4048 MPTT from Taiwan

looks like they copied the MorningStar TS-45 on the PWM controller and the Apollo for the Mppt unit ...
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Max output wattage 1000 but then it says it has a 40 amp output current. My guess is it will be of poor quality as the saying goes you get what you pay for.
  • OnTheCheap
    OnTheCheap Registered Users Posts: 2
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    Max output wattage 1000 but then it says it has a 40 amp output current. My guess is it will be of poor quality as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

I purchased the 2400 watt inverter charge controller from the same manufacturer. The reason was it had the Inverter default option and I paid $539 for it. First thing I did was open it up. It looked very good inside. Not hand soldered, and everything was very secure and neat and the proper heat sinks used. This inverter is working great for me.

As I review these units I compare them to quality units and it is amazing how similar they are to the ones made in Taiwan. Like the Morningstar Tri Star MPPT. The size and specs are very similar. If I didn't know better I would say they are simply duplicating them and selling them cheap. I am getting ready to order the PCM 6048 as it is hundreds cheaper for the same specs. If it works, great, the only thing you can't determine is longevity. I may only get 5 years out of it where the better brabds last for ten or fifteen. Right now it is all I can afford.

Great forum by the way!

On edit: I contacted a bunch of guys from down under and Europe that have been purchasing these products for a while and they all gave them good reviews, that was when I decided to order my inverter.

Here is high dollar system made with all the same units http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxml2iYBTwk
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a very wimpy CC.

Cost is not everyting. It appears to be about 1/4 the charge capabiity of the MN Classic. In searching the web, did not find SPECIFICATIONS on very much at all. But what they are willing to state about their CCs makes it look very suspect.

Why not buy something that has a good/great track record from a known, reuptable company?

There are times that I wonder about "shill" posts. Perhaps my mind wanders ..

You usually do get what you pay for, sometimes you pay for things that you do NOT get, but seldom do you get things that you do NOT PAY FOR. FWIW, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • OnTheCheap
    OnTheCheap Registered Users Posts: 2

I agree with getting what you pay for. I am trying to hold out until I can afford a Morningstar or Outback, but someties it comes down to what you can realistically afford. That is why I don't drive a BMW. Sometimes you have to shop for the best product you can afford. I am very happy with the inverter I purchased. Right now I am working on setting up a tracking system to increase the amount of power I harvest using the existing charge controller. Next step will be investing in MPPT.
  • drraptor
    drraptor Solar Expert Posts: 218 ✭✭

Attachment not found.

Spec sheet for few of these. Are these reliable ? http://tesla-pv.com/mppt-chargers/#
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

my guess on the tesla-pv stuff would be no good as it is out of pakistan and most likely is cheap rebranded pieces of crap. there's a remote chance i'm wrong and if you want to take that chance and buy it then you can tell us how good/bad it is.
  • aarif
    aarif Banned Posts: 7

I actually am writing this from Pakistan. Moved out here about 1 year ago to get some solar experience with my uncle's company. I agree that there is nothing original coming out from Pakistan. It's all coming from China or Taiwan. However, there is one company here that is making solar products called Systek, but overall its not worth the money because I can import stuff at a better quality from China (which we're doing for Panels, Inverters, and Batteries, but using Midnites for the larger installations, and Ingeteam for the Industrial installations).

Sadly, I haven't gotten much of the non-Asian market experience in products because the Asian market (other than the middle-east) are cutthroats when it comes to getting a price point, so they want everything for less. For example, a 3kVa pure Sinewave off-grid inverter, I'm importing for wholesale at $252. It's not the best thing on the market but its getting the job done as compared to dishing out $1480 for the same thing from Outback. It's a tough market, but its taught me one thing, that sure, the US or German stuff may be overpriced a bit, but you're still getting a solid piece of equipment.

edit: as for Taiwan, we use powermaster for installations where we don't need a Midnite and the customer wants a cheaper alternative.
  • drraptor
    drraptor Solar Expert Posts: 218 ✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    my guess on the tesla-pv stuff would be no good as it is out of pakistan and most likely is cheap rebranded pieces of crap. there's a remote chance i'm wrong and if you want to take that chance and buy it then you can tell us how good/bad it is.

I could take exception to that, Pakistani manufacturer are known for some high quality stuff too e.g Sports goods from football to Bats and Surgical equipment.
    As for Solar charger is concerned, yes it is Taiwanese.

there is another company which imports cells from Germany (Q-Cell) and Motech taiwan, and fabricate the Panel in Pakistan.
  • aarif
    aarif Banned Posts: 7

drrapter, Pakistan is good for stuff yes, but good for stuff they are known to do. Sports goods are made from leather, which is a cash crop, as well as the cotton, however when it comes to technical workings, they're pretty far from the top of the list. I can assure you, i've been to most, if not all of the manufacturers here in Pakistan claiming to be "assembling" the panels and their quality is NOT good at all. Maybe in a few years it'll be better, but as for right now, stay away. Main reason is that there is no QC or process control on the system here. There are no ISO standards and no checks with balances therefore you can be getting crap and they'll be selling it like gold.

At the end of the day the only problem with going Taiwanese over Chinese is that their price point is generally higher for the same type of unit that is made in China. I would link you to some other good companies that i've tried who make solid MPPTs out of china but I guess I'm not allowed because moderator thinks i'm touting it as my own company =(
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

regardless if this is his company or not i do not want you guys posting link after link to a bunch of companies. this is a forum owned by a solar retailer and despite that being unfair to our sponsor it does create a spammy ad type atmoshere that is undesirable. the company names were not being deleted, but the links were. he gave me lip about the links even though the company name was still there. if you want to see all of his links i can pm you his email address and you can have at it. up to you.

now here is the rule,

"1. No commercial ads. No solicitations or advertisements. Go sell your gray market cellphones someplace else. No links to our competitors for items or products that we sell (If we don't carry it, no problem)."

now you may argue that naws is not carrying the stuff linked to, but then it becomes a slew of links for products just like those for cellphones would be. i could've banned him before he became argumentative, but didn't. if he is reading this know that i can also undo it too as in giving 2nd chances for i have done that in the past. i figure it this way, if he truly wants to participate in the forum rather than just post links to products and companies then i'm all for that opportunity for him to do so. most of those that realy were just trying to post links don't bother coming back with the 2nd chance stuff because the result would be the same. they know they'd be history again real quickly.

we do make judgement calls and no, we aren't perfect, but we try.