New Radian System.

I have my GS8048 Radian, FM80 Charge Controller, Mate3, 3 - 250W Canadian Solar Panels, Generac 8kW, and 8 Surrette S-530's up and running. The Generac and the AGS function of the Radian works flawlessly. Yea!!. I made the Solar Panel Ground mount out of a reclaimed Truck Lumber rack. It is stainless steel and cost me $90 at the local Recycler.
I bought a remote-start-pin kit from ApElectric to convert the generator to remote start. The instructions on how to set it up is on their website and available from the great folks here. The pins were the wrong size for my Nexus plug, but I drilled the plug out a little and it works just fine.
I hooked up a wireless router to the Mate3. My Laptop can see the host screen from the Mate3, but no data shows up. It says I don't have Java. It does have Java and passes the Java test. I am running Windows 8. I have tried it with Mozilla, Chrome, and the hated IE. Any ideas out there ? I will try to call Outback tomorrow to see if they know what's up.

BTW

Thanks everyone for all the help, The folks here were a great help and resource. YouTube videos also helped a lot.

Steve

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: New Radian System.

How about some pictures of the ground mount? Also, tell us about your charging parameters and how well they are charging the surrettes.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RSHobson wrote: »
    I hooked up a wireless router to the Mate3. My Laptop can see the host screen from the Mate3, but no data shows up. It says I don't have Java. It does have Java and passes the Java test. I am running Windows 8. I have tried it with Mozilla, Chrome, and the hated IE. Any ideas out there ? I will try to call Outback tomorrow to see if they know what's up.

Outback has an active forum Here.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • RSHobson
    RSHobson Registered Users Posts: 8

I talked to Outback yesterday. They know about the Java problem and the Mate3. Dave is going to send me a couple of SD cards to update my firmware.. I am very glad I purchased an Outback System. They are great folks.
    I will send some pictures next week.

Steve
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭

Since you're the only one with Radian:

When you charge the batteries and at the same time have loads, does it have a generator over-load control and dials back the charging current to prevent overload? If it does, is it working smoothly with Generac?
  • RSHobson

I have not had it running long enough to be sure yet. It does seem to scale back the battery charging when the load gets bigger. It has not had any failures. The only problem I have had with the Generac Guardian is an oil leak and the warranty company is working on that. I have tried equalizing the batteries and starting the well motor (1HP 230V) with the generator running and it handled the load just fine. I have the generator setup to autostart if the load get to high or the batteries get to low. BTW Northguy, thanks for all the help..
  • NorthGuy
    I have not had it running long enough to be sure yet. It does seem to scale back the battery charging when the load gets bigger. It has not had any failures. The only problem I have had with the Generac Guardian is an oil leak and the warranty company is working on that. I have tried equalizing the batteries and starting the well motor (1HP 230V) with the generator running and it handled the load just fine. I have the generator setup to autostart if the load get to high or the batteries get to low. BTW Northguy, thanks for all the help..

You're welcome.

I had to repair two leaks on my Generac already - both because of poorly tied bolts. In one case it was so bad that the there was a 1/8" gap around the gasket. I didn't try to exercise my warranty because they say it's not good for off-grid installations.

When you have Generac and Radian working together for a while, let us know if there are any problems.
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    When you charge the batteries and at the same time have loads, does it have a generator over-load control and dials back the charging current to prevent overload? If it does, is it working smoothly with Generac?

My wife and I looked at a working and running Radian system before we bought our new inverter. We saw it charging batteries with a 12 kW Generac Guardian generator. It seemed to work about like the XW does, from what I saw. We had asked to see it operate with Generator Support, but the owner didn't know how to set that up, and neither did I.

The system we looked at, IMHO, was somewhat cobbled up. But I could see how it could be a very nice system if properly installed. My first impression of the Radian and trying to figure out the menus in the Mate3 was that it is designed and suited to grid-tie or grid-interactive systems more than off-grid systems.
    --
    Chris
  • NorthGuy
    ChrisOlson wrote: »
    The system we looked at, IMHO, was somewhat cobbled up. But I could see how it could be a very nice system if properly installed. My first impression of the Radian and trying to figure out the menus in the Mate3 was that it is designed and suited to grid-tie or grid-interactive systems more than off-grid systems.

I only looked at the Radian manual, and only after I bought Xantrex. I would say that Xantrex is documented much better, and you mostly know what you're getting. With Radian, it would be nice to know more. If the inverter goes, you need to make a decision on the replacement real quick.
  • ChrisOlson

Maybe it's just me, but I've never been able to figure out the Mate's menus. At least, not without referring to the menu map to figure out where stuff is. Fiddling with the Mate3, I didn't see much improvement. They put an iPod type thing on the front of it, but the menus themselves were still not easy to find or understand.
    --
    Chris
  • RSHobson

I received the SD Cards from Outback. It fixed my problem. The process to load the Firmware was very simple. IMHO. I have found the Radian pretty intuitive and easy to program and operate. I did have to watch a few Youtube videos and read the manual once or twice. The staff at Outback are very helpful. In the short term, I would still buy the same system again. Time will tell. The only disappointment I have had is: I thought I would be able to program and control the system from the Internet, but that is not the case, I can view all of the data, but I can't change it.
  • NorthGuy
    The only disappointment I have had is: I thought I would be able to program and control the system from the Internet, but that is not the case, I can view all of the data, but I can't change it.

That is because they don't want someone else from the Internet to control your system.
  • ChrisOlson
    In the short term, I would still buy the same system again. Time will tell.

If I could ask, what sort of battery did you put on the Radian?

Edit:
    Ack! Forget that - went back and looked the original post and see you got S530's :blush:
    --
    Chris