Grid Tie Wind Turbine for battery charging.

2»

Comments

• animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Re: Grid Tie Wind Turbine for battery charging.

I have unit back together.

Doing a spin test I tried to stick to 40 volts on the multimeter. I recorded it and then could watch the video. keeping consistent rpm was a bit tricky but it is around 105 rpm for 40v. This is one a single phase the ac side of things.

Now hooking those two leads to a rectifier and trying to spin was a bit more challenging. A bit of cogging happening. I would hoping that I have to hook up all 3 phases to their rectifiers to get a smoother operation. I will hook the other 2 phase up to there rectifiers. Then give her a spin.

Matthew
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    animatt wrote: »
    Now hooking those two leads to a rectifier and trying to spin was a bit more challenging. A bit of cogging happening. I would hoping that I have to hook up all 3 phases to their rectifiers to get a smoother operation. I will hook the other 2 phase up to there rectifiers. Then give her a spin.
    So far, so good. Maybe....

But what do you mean by hooking two leads to a rectifier? If you just have a single diode and nothing else, you are short circuiting the winding half the time. Cogging indeed!
    And if you mean a full wave bridge (four wires) and no DC load, then that should not have made any difference at all until you provided a load.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • animatt

I had the rectifier hooked up wrong. Hooked up everything nice and smooth. Have to run but will hopefully test out rpm vs voltage dc later.

For those that might stumble upon this thread later on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2FHdeXL09c
    solved my issues.

Thanks again. your last message saved me a bit of time trouble shooting that out.

Matthew
  • inetdog
    I had the rectifier hooked up wrong. Hooked up everything nice and smooth. Have to run but will hopefully test out rpm vs voltage dc later.

For those that might stumble upon this thread later on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2FHdeXL09c
    solved my issues.

Thanks again. your last message saved me a bit of time trouble shooting that out.

Matthew
    You are quite welcome.
    The marking is done by printing only on one side for economy!
    And the assumption is that either you have the data sheet for the bridge unit or know that the diodes are physically arranged in a square so that the two AC are on one diagonal and the two DC on the other diagonal. That video helps a lot!
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Doing a spin test I tried to stick to 40 volts on the multimeter. I recorded it and then could watch the video. keeping consistent rpm was a bit tricky but it is around 105 rpm for 40v.

That'll be about 55 volts DC @ 105 rpm, or 1.9 rpm/volt. You're definitely in the ballpark to get it to work with a Classic controller. Might even be able to get it to work with a Classic 150, as the loaded volts will be considerably lower than open voltage during normal operation.
    --
    Chris
  • animatt

I got dc side measurements which are rough just like the ac side measurements. I come out to about 2.3 rpm/volt. Depending on the accuracy of the meter I would say just my measurements would have a good bit of error.

This is with each of the 3 phases hooked to its own bridge rectifier. The dc outputs are connected in parallel and probes take voltage there.

I am not sure what TSR this setup was designed for but I will assume 5 as they are 3m ~9'10" in diameter.

I would feel like keeping tip speed below 100mph based on the 5 TSR. (20mph wind)

on 9'10" diameter circle circumference is ~371". 100mph tip speed turns in roughly 285rpm. I will round up to 300 rpm.

It would appear if my measurements were a bit off and it turned out 2rpm/volt I would be running at 150volts not so bad. Being the midnite classic 150 and 200 are similiarly priced on NAWS both are $610. the classic lites are both $500.

To me I think the classic 200 might be the better purchase for this setup but I could be mistaken. It gives a bit more head room if I say let the turbine go to 25mph I would be over the classic 150 operating range. I know that is what the clipper is for but seems my turbine size I am not sure I would need anything over the amp output that could be had with the classic 200. 79 amps at 28v = 2212 watts. This is over the rated output of the gen head anyway. Any opinions. Obviously the above does not take into account the loaded rpm /volt value.

Next question would be : would I miss the screen if I went with the classic lite? I dealt with the classic 150's when they first came out. Nice as it was I am not sure I would actually miss it though? The Classic 200 is more than I paid for the whole turbine package. And I still need a clipper and a tower. I would imagine programming via computer easier anyway. Saving $110 seems like a good trade off here.

that is it for now.
    matthew
  • ChrisOlson
    I would feel like keeping tip speed below 100mph based on the 5 TSR. (20mph wind)

on 9'10" diameter circle circumference is ~371". 100mph tip speed turns in roughly 285rpm. I will round up to 300 rpm.

You won't get much power from a 3.0 meter rotor at only 300 rpm. 400 rpm (TSR 7.0) @ 20 mph would be more in the ballpark for a rotor with a Cp of .4 or better. I don't know what blades you got (or if you mentioned it). But if they are glass S809's they like to run fast - and I do mean fast - TSR 7.0 or better.
    --
    Chris
  • animatt

Blades are different looking. And by different i mean weird Supposedly the whole setup is extra quiet because of the blades and some super design. To me it sounded like they crippled the blades a bit so TSR would be lower. They are fiberglass blades. I will attach some photos tomorrow.

tswind.com - The webpage is outdated, maybe defunct? Anyway they seem to not have the 2000w model any more that has the 3m rotor but instead a 3.5m rotor rated at 2200w.

All documentation I can get is like a sales brochure without a lot of technical data. Seems like over the top sales pitches like can be mounted on a house. tower can be short etc. Like this turbine is new and improved blah, blah blah. Typical wind sales stuff.

matthew
  • ChrisOlson
    Blades are different looking. And by different i mean weird Supposedly the whole setup is extra quiet because of the blades and some super design. To me it sounded like they crippled the blades a bit so TSR would be lower. They are fiberglass blades. I will attach some photos tomorrow.

That's possible, but then it wouldn't be a 2,000 watt turbine with a 3.0 meter rotor. It takes tip speed to get the Cp up to those levels. Unfortunately, there's no free lunch with wind power.

And also, tip speed is not necessarily the only deciding factor in noise. Tip pitch and type of airfoil used also are contributing factors.
    --
    Chris
  • animatt

oh I know it would not be a 2000 watt turbine then. The generator head is rated at 1800w. I believe at a lower speed then the 2000w given. The real kicker is the offgrid version of the 2000 watt turbine setup comes with a generator head rated at 1500w. I was expecting it to be like most other small commercial turbines and be over rated. probably overpriced and under performing. To be very quiet like they are claiming I was figuring they messed with maybe tip pitch and tip speed. To me coming up with this super duper amazing airfoil that works wonders being designed by a startup seems a bit far fetched. I will attach photos shortly.

matthew
  • animatt

do you know a good semi technical book about wind generator design. It does not have to be about building one, just about design decisions and the factors explained in fairly simple terms. Or webpage that would have most of it documented.

I believe most of your wind turbine knowledge came from hands on, along with your profession for electronics.

While I can not come close to your knowledge on the topic by just reading, would like to understand a bit better. I doubt I will ever build my own turbine, but would love to have the knowledge in case I need to. Your site is a good site for someone familiar with the general design already. But I would like to understand design decisions

I do not think the dan fink and dan bartmann book go into that much detail but I could be wrong. Maybe a hugh piggott book?

thanks
    matthew
  • ChrisOlson

I always recommend Hugh's recipe book
    http://scoraigwind.com/axialplans/index.htm

It has the "plans" on how to build six different turbines. But Hugh also goes into the theory in explaining why the turbines are built the way they are, and it's written by a master that has spent most of his life working with wind power.

I don't know about the Otherpower book - I have only read excerpts of it and never the whole thing.
    --
    Chris
  • animatt

here are a few photos.

I will try to take a closeup of just the blades without plastic later when the lighting is better.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • ChrisOlson

Yeah, they definitely look weird, alright. Never seen pea green blades before. Can't see what the airfoils are like either but the hub looks a little on the chincey side. I guess I wouldn't trust that hub carrying it from the box to the scrap bin. For comparison sake, this is the hub off one of my 375 turbines:

Attachment not found.

Just the hub on that turbine weighs 62 lbs and the blades are 8.2 lbs each, so the total rotor weight is almost 87 lbs. Experience has taught me that if it ain't heavy freakin' duty, on a wind turbine it won't last.

I made a video showing how much noise a 350 rotor makes running at TSR 7, just to demonstrate that a large high speed rotor does not have to be noisy. I've never seen any wind turbine that runs totally quiet. But I've also seen some that make so much noise they're annoying (like the SWWP SkyScream).

[video=youtube_share;gel3JaQr1uc]http://youtu.be/gel3JaQr1uc[/video]
    --
    Chris
  • animatt

I am well aware the quality of your stuff. You have a very nice looking webpage and machines. Wish I had access to machinery and had skills to build something half as nice.
    Anyway attaching a short video of one of the blades so its profile can be looked at closer. The blades are numbered and have the hub location numbered as well. Manual says it is very important to follow numbered locations. I doubt they where mounted and balance. not super important. Just looks like a less than optimal blade to me.

Also hub where the blades mount. The white part is roughly 1/8" on the flat. It edges are bent over and are about an inch in depth. then the extra plate(wye layout green) on top is about another 1/8". So where the blades mount is roughly 1/4" on the inner bolts but just 1/8" on the furthest bolt form the center. With the edges bent over I would imagine some more rigidity like angle irons. I am more worried where the blades connect with only 3 bolts. I guess if I was worried about the hub I could have some metal welded to the back side. Thin stuff to just put each side under the slightest tension in relation to the other sides. OR even a threaded bolt from once side to another.

I may think about trying to find a some what narrow strip to place over the blades. Basically sandwich it together with maybe a 2" strip of 1/8" metal. Basically following the wye pattern that is below just a bit narrower.

Attachment not found.

[video]http://animatt.net/Interests/wind/videos/w.mp4[/video]

matthew
    hub.jpg 66.8K
  • ChrisOlson
    With the edges bent over I would imagine some more rigidity like angle irons. I am more worried where the blades connect with only 3 bolts.

Yes, I've seen that style hub and blades before. They're not high performers - pretty much like a PVC blade and best TSR is about 5. I'm afraid I've also seen them break because the bolt pattern is all inline and they tend to flex. They don't have a true airfoil.

Definitely don't want to run that rotor at high speeds because it will toss a blade with time, usually with undesirable results.

It's easy to pick out turbine manufacturers that don't know what they're doing. In the specs for the PowerSpin 2200 (3.5 meter) it says it generates 4,200 kWh/year @ 11.2 mph wind speed. Well, I got news for these people. A 3.5 meter rotor running at 40% efficiency develops 285 watts at the shaft @ 11.2 mph. That means you have a potential of 6.84 kWh/day at the shaft, or ~2,500 kWh/year of shaft power. That's with no losses in the generator or wiring or rectifiers.

Bottom line - no way on god's green earth you can get 4,200 kWh in a year from a 3.5 meter rotor @ 11.2 mph average - don't care how much you try to stretch the Wiebull Distribution Curve. Of course, most people don't know that. So they buy them anyway then can't figure out why it barely makes 500 kWh in a year.

LOL!

Most of these wind turbine outfits got a PhD in sales. BS - we all know what that is. MS = More of the Same. PhD = Piled Higher and Deeper.
    --
    Chris
  • animatt

I originally thought they were pvc blades. A scuff on the paint told me it was fiberglass. I guess better than pvc.

For me I will be happy if I can get 500 kwh a year. As long as most of that comes in lighter winds. While I knew numbers were heavily fudged when I read Wiebull curve, I did not dig into how much, and it did not influence the purchase anyway. If I can average close to 35-50 watt output during normal periods of weather I will be content. I know that is not alot of power but if off peak production works it will keep my batts happier. Keep them at a high SOC, then day time with solar use more demanding loads when weather permits. No wind or sun batteries will get their work out. not sure I posted it already but think I did.

Battery array is 470ah at 24v. While there will not be the luxuries you have in your house, if I have more electricity I will use it. If I know I can depend on some nightly wind production I can drive power usage a little harder in the day without worrying about sun going away and having to start the generator. Small generator (champion 3500w) anyway but prefer not to run it often.

4 reasons I am going with wind.

1. Impulse buy on what I thought was inexpensive.
    2. Maintain smaller battery array. Hopefully wind will help cover a bit of base loads when sun is not shining.
    3. A toy that I can use to learn new things. And something I can look at moving. Kind of stare and think.
    4. Much larger swept area than say an air x.
    I lived in an offgrid house(not my house) with an air x, and know how useless they are. At low speeds no production, higher speeds went into a safety shut down. Very narrow range of when it would actually output anything.
    I figured with 6.5 times swept area at low speeds I could actually get something useful. Although 6.5 x 0 =0.
    hopefully it is more like 6.5x 5 watts= 32.5w. Also like the idea of no electronic controls in the head.

thanks
    matthew

Seeing the blades I am working with do you have an educated guess at a fairly safe speed to run the setup at. I know it is really impossible to say, but best guess. If you had the system and you had to make it work the best you could(do not throw out or sell ;) ). Have it furl at 15mph? 20?

Again I really do not need big power number from it.
    Also will not be on a huge tower. It will be on something like a 55-60ft tower. Which will put it ~30 ft over anything with in a mile or 2(maybe more) While not great that is my reality.
  • animatt

Is there any small wind turbine setup that actual sell on accuracy and not hype/ overselling. Forgetting otherpower crowd and the axial flux.

I know very little but the closest I can see would be tlgwindpower.com . I think they do not even try to oversell and end up with the 2nd time around buyers that may have been burned before buy almost everyone else.

Matthew
  • ChrisOlson
    Seeing the blades I am working with do you have an educated guess at a fairly safe speed to run the setup at. I know it is really impossible to say, but best guess. If you had the system and you had to make it work the best you could(do not throw out or sell ;) ). Have it furl at 15mph? 20?

I don't think 25-30 mph will be a problem for it. Just program a power curve for the Classic that will run it at about 350 rpm @ 25 mph and I think it will hold together fairly well. Fiberglass blades tend to stress crack so keep an eye on them. If one starts to make noise shut it down and inspect the blades to make sure you don't have one cracked or coming apart. If the gel coat cracks water gets in them too and can cause problems.

The bigger swept area as compared to an AIR-series and your reasonable expectations of what it's going to, I think, will yield a fairly successful installation for you. Just keep an eye on the rotor - hubs and blades are easy to make and replace if the ones that came with it don't pan out.

I guess I've never seen a wind turbine manufacturer that isn't into sales hype. Back in the old days when Elliot Bayley built the original Whirlwind and Whisper off-grid turbines up in Duluth, and before he sold them out to SWWP, there was no hype. But those days are gone. There are few turbines purpose-built anymore for off-grid power.
    --
    Chris
  • animatt

Okay I have the 6 leads coming out of the generator head About 2 ft long each. Before there were just 3 leads that came out and went to the 3 phase bridge rectifier. The rectifier was located in the housing behind the gen head.

So now I am wondering how to extend the cables. I was thinking of using something like distribution block to attach the 6 leads to then attach 6 other leads down the tower.
    Attachment not found.

not sure if they are okay for the high voltage. At the same time I was thinking although not sure it is really a good idea.

Basically have my bridge rectifiers up there, but 2 sets of 3 in parallel. So each phase is connected to two rectifiers, then outputs of the 6 rectifiers are in parallel.

This would add I believe some protection in case a single rectifier was to be damaged. Although I do not know how rectifiers fail. Could it fail and short the phase or fail in regular open.

All though I am thinking it probably much better to have rectifiers on the ground.

Then from there just bring down the high voltage dc down the tower.

Thoughts?
    17.jpg 52.4K
  • ChrisOlson

I prefer to bring the AC down the tower because it's better for using the stator to brake the turbine. High voltage DC tends to jump large air gaps and is hard on switches and contactors.
    --
    Chris
  • animatt

Okay I guess a follow up question. Since I have 6 leads that operate irp. Which clipper would I want. As I understand it the clipper ac has a single 3 phase bridge rectifier in it. Would it be more practical using the Clipper DC? So if the Dc is more practical the 6 leads could go into something like Attachment not found.

where each phase goes to a single knife switch. Beginning of phase to one side, end to another. Should I use a 3 pole switch or could 3 single pole switches work okay throwing them at roughly the same time. From there a just jumper from the switch terminals into the bridge rectifiers, then the parallel output goes to the clipper then finally to the classic?

IS there an easy way to use the ac clipper?

Apart:
    On a side note I believe I read on your website you were an EE. not sure how good you are with electronic circuits/ devices. I have a electronic device that came with the low voltage turbine setup. But no manual. I am going to trace out and draw the connections out. A bunch of wires. I would post a new thread. Trying to find out how it works. Not sure if that is something you understand. I would imagine once I trace things out it maybe a bit easier to understand.

Not sure if it is the "mppt" controller that their manual talks about. There are about 24 capacitors (6800microF 63v), 4 - 3 phase rectifiers, some relays and a very small amount of circuitry. The capacitors look like there is some parallel series connection going on and center tapping for different voltages. Hopefully I will have it traced out and drawn today. The box has terminals labeled : Inverter, battery, dump, and turbine. It does not have a model number. And looks like someone threw together in their garage. Circuitry is on a breadboard no pcb.

Any way the first question pertaining to the high voltage wiring scheme and which Clipper to use it the main question. I guess the other question is could you take a look at the layout when I get done tracing and drawing.

matthew
  • ChrisOlson

There's not going to be an easy way to use the three-phase clipper with an IRP setup. I'd use the DC one.

I'm a mechanical engineer. Mechanical engineers prefer contactors that make a big satisfying Ker-THUNK and handle thousands of amps, while electrical engineers prefer SSR's that make a lot of heat and do mysterious things without making any noise. :D
    --
    Chris
  • animatt

Did/does my purposed dc wiring scheme make sense? or could I forego the knife switch and just use the switch built into the dc clipper?

Bad terminology on my part. There is definitely clicking going on depending on voltage. Although a little more mild than you would find on the old mechanical relay controls for a heating system. My experiences is base on a honeywell.

It maybe the relay is just totally enclosed. As most mechanical relays I have seen can be manually forced to operate by pushing them. This did not have it.

I will start a new thread.

matthew
  • animatt

I have been busy lately but finally got some time with the generator. It is mounted about 15 feet above ground to the center of the hub. Just a 2" sch 40 steel pipe. The head is ever so slightly misaligned(not plum) which I assume affects furling a little bit in lower winds.

With the blades like they are they take a bit to spin up. First ~30 seconds it start to spin slowly gaining speed. When it finally catches ... away it goes. Unloaded in mild wind it really spins fairly good. Better than I thought. Although I only have a air x as a reference which spin fin but produce close to 0 watts. Gets up to speed where capturing it on film it looks like blades are stationary.

Put it on a 2 12v batts in series for a 24v (2 car batteries). Kept it under control. Slowed it down big time and obviously blades are not operating in peak range. Was putting out about 1.5 amps at 27ish volts. Today winds were fairly good I would guess 12-15 mph average for most of the day. Batts were charging at 27v early but were at 31.5 volts soon after. I know a bit high but battery will be recycled shortly anyway. Was operating only at 3.5amps at 31.5 volts. Blades were probably operating at a very horrible efficiency. Unhooked the generator from the batteries. Being that it was already spinning at 31v speed it ramped up to full speed quickly. Got up to about 130v in a slightly slower wind time. I put a clamp meter on plus lead. coming from the bridge rectifiers and then connected generator back to batteries. Amps spike up to 30a then quickly settle back down to 2.5a to 3a.

Not sure there is a cheap wind station anyone is aware of this way I get better wind speeds to voltage readings.

Also chris how would I go about developing an mppt curve. Or how did you develop an mptt curve for your setup?
  • inetdog
    ChrisOlson wrote: »
    while electrical engineers prefer SSR's that make a lot of heat and do mysterious things without making any noise. :D
    You see, the big kerthunk noises remind them of mechanical engineers.
  • ChrisOlson
    Also chris how would I go about developing an mppt curve. Or how did you develop an mptt curve for your setup?

Basically by experimenting with it to see how the turbine runs. You should have an idea of the top end voltage and use that for Step 16 with the amps set in that step to a little higher than what you expect from the turbine at full output. And you should have an idea of how fast you want the turbine running at cut-in (Step 1 which will be zero amps and whatever voltage it takes to have the turbine running at a comfortable speed when it comes online).

From there you can adjust the Steps 2 thru 15 any way you like within those two limits imposed by Step 1 and Step 16 to make turbine run the way you want. With the Classic it does it "on-the-fly" meaning as soon as you make a change on the screen that change is active. If you make the change with the Local Status Panel application on your PC, then you have to upload it to the controller before it becomes active.

What you describe at present indicates that the turbine is running severely in a stalled condition without the Classic controller on it.

I wouldn't worry too much about wind speed. Whatever the wind is blowing at, you can change the power curve "on-the-fly" and save your changes to the memory locations in case you want to revert. But on any given day it doesn't take long to find the "sweet spot" where a turbine likes to run. Knowing what the actual wind speed is at any one time is really useless information because the wind is never constant.
    --
    Chris
  • animatt

Yeah stalling it was definitely the idea. I put it up and was seeing how it performed. noise, tracking, spin up etc. A day with slightly stiffer winds showed even on the 15' tower I need to sure it up a bit to be comfortable with it. I did not know how well shorting it out would slow it down so I waited for a small lull in the wind and shorted it out. After that I stuck it on the 24v batts. From there I was testing shorting it out at higher speeds. All the same results bringing unit to a swift but fairly smooth halt.

Was thinking of dragging 2 more batteries out there as well and see how it does at 48v. Currently at 24v it spins more like those water pumping setups with tons of blades.

matthew
  • ChrisOlson

It will do better at 48V for sure. But still not up to its potential. It sounds like it's easily controllable too.
    --
    Chris