Can I use these huge 2v salvaged battery's on my system?

Options
Himins
Himins Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭✭✭
Of the 30 batteries available, some have failed and all were taken out of service. I only have 4 panels installed.(see signature) I am using between 1.7-2.4 kw per day and have been using murdered car battery's since last april.
These batteries weigh about 180lbs each. My thoughts were to install 6 of them and continue using my current 12v 600 w psw.
These batteries were salvaged from a phone company.
The most sun I've harvested according to the log history is 4.2 Kw
While its possible my system can not use these batteries, I'll pick them up some time today and charge/test the batteries with other appropriate means, then turn the murdered batteries in for scrap, the remainder batteries will be made available for other systems.
Thanks for all the fantastic support you all have offered, my system has been performing so nicely, even with the murdered car batteries!!!

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Can I use these huge 2v salvaged battery's on my system?

Likely 3 tons of scrap, but if it's free, go for it! find the best 6 and charge them up best you can, add your other 2 panels, you'll need all the charging you can get! some of the flooded telecomm batteries are just large lead calcium batteries (like your car batteries) and not designed for multi heavy discharges, but there is good and bad in that as they don't self discharge as quickly.

Often telecomm batteries are replaced on schedule rather than failure sounds like these were replaced on failure so perhaps you have less of a chance for success, but if the price is right...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.