Domestic fire sprinkler system off-grid

Dave Angelini
Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
I have a new off-grid home I am working on that requires a fire sprinkler system. I was planning on using a 48vdc pump for domestic water and a Franklin 2HP pump for the sprinkler system. The building inspector is pretty clueless and is insisting that the same pump be used for both systems. I have done some searching and believe he is wrong. I have not found specific code info as this is pretty new in California.

If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate a link. If I am forced to do what he wants I may use a Gould 2HP smart pump that is supposed to soft start and be energy efficient. I just really do not want to do this for an off-grid application. The system needs to deliver 15 gallons a minute.

Thank-you!
Dave
"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
   htps://offgridsolar1.com/
E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Domestic fire sprinkler system off-grid

Dave I concur with you. IMO the 'fire' pump needs to be totally separate from the house system so that its power source is not affected by the fire in the house. Don't know just how you would be able to do that without the batts being in a separate structure...?

add, a 2 hp house to supply 5 gpm , wow the dirt would be scoured off in the shower, if you could get close to the tap...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    The building inspector is pretty clueless and is insisting that the same pump be used for both systems. I have done some searching and believe he is wrong. I have not found specific code info as this is pretty new in California.
    The system needs to deliver 15 gallons a minute.

Is the inspector looking at statewide fire code or local amendments?
    In my area (El Dorado county) for rural the biggest requirement for new construction is for water storage (from 3000 gallons on up) for fire protection purposes, on the assumption that the well cannot deliver a continuous GPH rate high enough for fire protection anyway. For a bonus, you add a fire department compatible connection to the tank so that fire equipment can pump directly from the tank into their own tanker or onto the fire.

In that case, the pump that fills the tank is irrelevant as long as the tank is big enough and the fire pump can draw from the tank to feed a second piping system independent of the domestic water. The pump to pressurize the domestic water system can then be whatever is appropriate for that more limited use.

I guess if you have only one delivery piping system used for both domestic and fire purposes, or have no above ground storage, the inspector might have a reason for concern.

(Our 400 foot well only produces 1.6 GPM, and has only 80 feet of water above the pump, so we need storage just for domestic purposes.)

The sprinkler system is required for you? And does it have to be continuously wet and pressurized, or can it be dry until triggered?
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm using my 9,000 gal of agricultural water system (70 psi, 2.5" pipe) to feed the sprinklers.

The domestic 1.5" pipe and 3,000 gal tank, was deemed insufficient by my inspector. My inspector was not interested in a booster pump for the indoor sprinkler system.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Hi Dave,

From this site:

http://osfm.fire.ca.gov/codedevelopment/residentialsprinklerandcacodes.php

There is a form letter you can add your information to and send it to the California State Fire Marshal to clarify sprinkler requirements/issues:
    Residential Fire Sprinkler Implementation Issue Form
    In a continued coordinated effort, the Office of the State Fire Marshal and the California Building Industry Association has introduced this form to collect information, help clarify the State’s requirement, and assist in resolution of misunderstandings or misrepresentation of issues associated with implementation of this code requirement.
    Click here for information.

There is also an issue with using antifreeze for fire sprinkler systems (too high a concentration can actually add fuel to the fire (see first link). They don't want people to use any antifreeze but use insulation or other means to prevent freezing. Probably antifreeze or a pressurized air/dry system is going to be required for off grid homes (if even legal/offered for residences)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Just a side question,has California gone to a state wide code mandate for sprinkler systems for SFRs? Boy does that seem likboth over kill as well as a potential nightmare, especially in freezing areas. In my experince few commercial property owners understood thier sprinkler systems, I can imagine the averge home owner knowing about a wet system, or a dry system, or any other systems.

Tony
  • Dave Angelini

Thanks everyone!
    Bill, that was what I wanted so thank-you! Yes there are tanks and yes there is a state mandate for rural to have fireproof siding, sprinklers, tempered glass, and something else I can't remember!

Bill, the house will have R30 over the sprinklers and I was planning to plumb the system so a toilet water source would draw from the attic to avoid stagnation. It is an awesome house/view that is worth it, I think..... I am hoping to use a booster for the fire requirement but first I will go to your link.

• Dave Angelini
    mike95490 wrote: »
    I'm using my 9,000 gal of agricultural water system (70 psi, 2.5" pipe) to feed the sprinklers.

The domestic 1.5" pipe and 3,000 gal tank, was deemed insufficient by my inspector. My inspector was not interested in a booster pump for the indoor sprinkler system.

Mike, are the domestic and the fire seperate systems?

• mike95490
    Mike, are the domestic and the fire seperate systems?

Yep, 2 separate storage tanks, domestic has about 3000 gal of potable water, and the ag/fire tanks are just strained pond water. All gravity feed, pumped up 160' from the pond. I only run the pump on sunny days or when generator is running, or it will suck the batteries dry, its float switch triggers about a 3 - 5 hour run cycle to fill the tanks.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• westbranch

Dav,e is this system solely an inside system or does it include outside as well?

We live, now, within a region decimated by the Mountain Pine Beetle, where there are up to 100% dead trees. In the last 3 years we have experienced radical fire behavior, luckily no houses destroyed, though 2 were water bombed and now have a 'lovely' rust red colour from the retardant...
    One of the protective measures was the installation of external sprinklers (temporary) on the roofs of all structures that were deemed susceptible to the fires path of travel.. neat system with temp sensors ~ 500 feet from the structures that would auto start fire pumps, wet down the area and hopefully control the fire locally...

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • Dave Angelini
    Yep, 2 separate storage tanks, domestic has about 3000 gal of potable water, and the ag/fire tanks are just strained pond water. All gravity feed, pumped up 160' from the pond. I only run the pump on sunny days or when generator is running, or it will suck the batteries dry, its float switch triggers about a 3 - 5 hour run cycle to fill the tanks.

From the tanks the two systems are not joined at any point? How do you avoid stagnation of the water in the fire system. This was an issue with the county inspector. Thanks!

• mike95490
    How do you avoid stagnation of the water in the fire system

How indeed. my inspector was unable to think that far ahead, and there is no provision to flush the system, only drain is at the inlet test port.

• Dave Angelini
    How indeed. my inspector was unable to think that far ahead, and there is no provision to flush the system, only drain is at the inlet test port.

Yes ! we live in the old west! Thanks!

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Of course you can flush it! Drain it first. Remove the sprinkler heads. Replace with plugs. Remove last plug in line. Re-pressurize system, allowing water to flood out of open tap into bucket. Turn off water and drain again. Put plug back in open tap. Remove next one. Repeat procedure until all taps have had water forced through them under pressure to remove any sediment. If any one jams up you will have to remove and ream the pipe. You can also flood the pipe with acid to descale the lines. Clean and inspect sprinklers individually.

See? It's easy! :p

Living in forest fire land is fun, isn't it? Having seen those fires too close I have to say that the sprinklers may do nothing other than add steam to the smoke. When those things get burning it can take an awful lot of water to put them out. In fact they usually just try to contain it and let the available fuel burn out.
  • BB.

I looked at adding (interior) sprinklers to my home about 10 years ago when I was remodeling... It was very expensive, and even though I have something like a 1 1/4" water service (the standard is 5/8 or 3/4"), it still was not big enough to be "legal". And the water department adds something like $20-30 per month to the water fill for the "over sized" water supply.

It appeared that it may have been illegal for me to tell the sprinkler guy to install a system with an "undersized" water supply...

What ever happened to the "home system" designs I read about 40 years ago that were going to use "low flow" sprinklers for homes? It seemed that it would have addressed many of my issues at the time.

When all was said and done, it just did not appear to be worthwhile for me to install any sort of sprinkler system (the cost between fire damage vs water damage and the installation+monthly service charges, just did not work out for me).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot

Hey, you know all this environmental problem they're having with CO2? They say it needs to be captured and stored (abandoned mines are frequently suggested). Okay, so everyone gets to store some compressed in tanks at their house to keep it out of the environment. Then you have a "dry" fire suppression system that won't cause water damage when it's activated. :p

Oh and keep plenty of green plants on hand to take in the CO2 when it's released so it doesn't contaminate the environment. Of course the oxygen they give off would boost the fire. Hmm. Bit of a conundrum there. Double :p
  • BB.

The problem with CO2 and other gases for fire suppression is that they will kill everyone in the room/home when they "cleanly" put out the fire. The original Halon systems were nice because the left enough oxygen in the air for people, but not enough for the fire. I would guess these new "environmentally safe" gases probably have similar properties (but that is why professionals design and install these types of systems, and they don't to DIY support on web forums :p).

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot

Pardon me for pointing this out but ... standing around in a burning building is bad for your health anyway.
  • firerescue712
    firerescue712 Solar Expert Posts: 95 ✭✭

I gotta chime in. I am not sure what the codes are for the OP. Is the inspector requiring an internal sprinkler to extinguish fires in the house? Or a sprinkler system to protect the house in the event of a wildland fire? For exterior fire protection, look into a Class A Foam system. This is the same stuff the Forestry service uses to protect structures. It is amazing stuff. The foam is sort of like super-concentrated soap. I can see an outdoors irrigation/sprinkler system being possible with this set up. Indoors, the sprinklers are to keep the fire in check so the occupants can get out. Many sprinkler systems have saved the structures by holding, or extinguishing, the fire. This system will also give an insurance premium reduction. It must be certified by a sprinkler system installation company. As with alternative energy systems, if you know a buddy in this field, he/she might sign off on it after you have installed it and it has been inspected. I an in Arkansas, so codes are very lax in residential fire protection and suppression systems. I know many of the western states have stricter rules to prevent or limit wildland fires.

In setting up a designated water source, is there a minimum size of tank required? If a fire department connection is provided, make sure the threads are compatible with the local fire department's threads. Most fire departments use NST (National Standard Thread) for their hoses and appliances. Also, make sure it is properly sized. A minimum of 2 1/2" pipe will be needed for a small hose to connect to the tank. Talk with the local fire department before buying anything for them to access. Many fire departments will not use a tank set up by a homeowner due to inaccessibility, improper fittings, worry about damaging the piping and tank, etc. Also, if the fire department does connect to the tank, they will be drawing a large vacuum on the tank. If there is not an adequately sized vent for the tank, the tank or plumbing will possibly collapse.

I would talk with your local fire department about what the inspector expects in this sprinkler system. Sometimes, they might be able talk with the inspector and come to an agreement as to what they need, what he/she sees as needed, and what you would like to set up.

The size of the pump needs to be verified with the inspector. There is a minimum flow rate (gpm) per sprinkler head.
  • inetdog
    Living in forest fire land is fun, isn't it? Having seen those fires too close I have to say that the sprinklers may do nothing other than add steam to the smoke. When those things get burning it can take an awful lot of water to put them out. In fact they usually just try to contain it and let the available fuel burn out.

If you are fortunate, you may be outside the direct path of the fire or have a considerable clear "defensible" space around the building. In that case the sprinklers will serve the purposes of keeping embers from igniting a surface and keeping radiant heat from igniting the outside of the building or, if you did not cover the windows, the contents of the building. There have been some amazing defenses of buildings when they are not subject to direct ignition by nearby trees and brush.
  • inetdog
    BB. wrote: »
    What ever happened to the "home system" designs I read about 40 years ago that were going to use "low flow" sprinklers for homes? It seemed that it would have addressed many of my issues at the time.

About the same time some fire departments (locally, the Palo Alto FD, next door to Stanford U.) experimented with using PVC pipe for residential life-safety sprinkler systems, as opposed to commercial property protection systems. It worked just fine. The pipes did not melt until after they had lasted long enough to do their primary job of keeping the flames and smoke down long enough for the occupants to be alerted and escape. The reduced cost of both materials and installation would have made them much more affordable and much more likely to be installed voluntarily, even done DIY.
    But the code gurus did not see fit to allow it. :-(
  • inetdog
    BB. wrote: »
    The original Halon systems were nice because the left enough oxygen in the air for people, but not enough for the fire.
    The action of Halon fire suppressants did not depend at all on reduction of the oxygen, and worked in a fairly low concentration. The Halon molecules grabbed on enthusiastically to free radicals (like the Chicago Seven?) and blocked the ignition of new fuel. Unfortunately Halon was equally efficient at grabbing ozone molecules in the upper atmosphere.
  • westbranch
    inetdog wrote: »
    There have been some amazing defenses of buildings when they are not subject to direct ignition by nearby trees and brush.

Up here the official recommended distance is 100 feet / 30 M around the house cleared of trees and other flammable brush. A lot of people had already done that out of logic in preparation for 'the big one'. Logging has done little to reduce the hazard in settled areas.

• Cariboocoot
    westbranch wrote: »
    Up here the official recommended distance is 100 feet / 30 M around the house cleared of trees and other flammable brush. A lot of people had already done that out of logic in preparation for 'the big one'. Logging has done little to reduce the hazard in settled areas.

Yup. And our place is smack-dab in the middle of a forest with trees close enough to fall on a cabin made out of trees and enough "fuel" around to reduce the place to ashes should fire ever hit.

Man, I really am an idiot. :p
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I got trees right up to the building. I keep the dead and down cleaned up near the building, but the house is sided in hand split cedar shakes, sort of like living in a kndling box! (the interior is all cedar boards as well!) We do have a 1/2 mile moat around us, but in a climax fire embers can easily jump it. or if we hve a lightning strike on the island without the deluge we usually get we re in trouble. (we've had many strikes over the years, But usually accompanied with real rain)

The thought is if we are around during a big mainland fire we could protect the place with our fire pumps, but the reality is in a big enug if the smoke would probably force us away a lot sooner.

Tony
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i'm sort of in the same boat as i've got some big ones too close to the house and no easy way to get rid of them.
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

Two years ago, we had a catastrophic 225,000 acre NF desert mountain wildfire bordering our ranch. Over the years, we had taken steps to build in some measure of fire prevention security in anticipation of the inevitable.

Two underground Norwesco water storage tanks each with a 1/2 hp grundfos pump supplying a 500 gallon pressure tank plumbed to an exterior hydrant. Both tank manhole risers plumbed for an emergency Davey high pressure fire pump suction system in the event we lost power. 400 feet of fire hose, beaters etc.

Underground propane storage tanks supplying the ranch. All water, fuel, propane and power lines are buried. House, out buildings, solar array and Backhoe areas cleared to 50 feet of trees and cacti and built out in Rastra, stucco, rock, metal roof and composite decking. Wells, generator and solar mechanical and pressure tank buildings (with fire equipment) are also secured.

Horse pastures grazed off with livestock live and storage waters protected the same way as the house. Horse safe areas graded off.

When this catastrophic wildfire fire surrounded the ranch with 100 foot flames, severe ash, smoke and burning ember fall, our buildings, infrastructure and horses came through without a scratch with the exception of losing our west fences and H Braces bordering the NF.

So far, planning and redundancy has paid off.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • firerescue712
    firerescue712 Solar Expert Posts: 95 ✭✭

That is a terrific example of researching, planning, and implementing an emergency action plan. Most everyone looks at the cost to put such a system in place. Many have the "it won't happen to me" attitude. In the olden days, there was no one to help you after an emergency, beyond the local citizens. We need to get back in that mindset. Instead, many look outside help to alleviate their suffering after the fact.

We use the same pump on our brush trucks. Very reliable pump. Over time, fire hose will crack and split. Usually, it will not be found unless pressurized at higher pressures (150+). We test our hose annually for wear. It is good to run your equipment regularly. Maybe even have a practice drill every 6 months or so.

Fire suppression systems are viable. They are cost more than doing nothing and hoping for the best. It is like insurance.

Be safe.
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you Firerescue for reminding me to check my hoses! You're right the drill part is essential but we rarely do it. Another good reminder.

When the fire swept out of the canyon at about 8 PM and enveloped the mountain, we had a Forest Service Type I team of 3 Hot Shotters and two of my neighbor ranchers to keep everything under control.

I really don't want to do that again.

For the nesters, we reminded them that best practices cattle grazing helped protect a lot of deeded country.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers