question on wire

I am looking for 4 gauge wire and seen some on ebay for audio http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-ft-AWG-4-Gauge-Red-Car-Audio-Power-Ground-Wire-Cable-SUPER-FLEX-WITH-ROLL-/170986004838?pt=US_Car_Audio_Power_Speaker_Wire&hash=item27cf8f6166will it work for solar wireing?It is from panels to fuse box. And if it is not good will this work instead http://www.wesbellwireandcable.com/Electricalwire/Electricalwire3.html.

Comments

• H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Re: question on wire

I like welding cable, but some may not be the best for battery cables, but I have had great success with it. I recently ordered the shrink wrap in colors to get a better block to the acid to hopefully make it last longer. The ends can be cleaned and retinned as needed. I have the hammer-type crimper from NAWS and it works well, but I usually solder the ends on, mostly using 4/0 cable.

Good luck,

Skip
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

basically wire is wire, but the difference is usually what insulation surrounds the wire. of course it could be solid or multistranded, but still amounts to a degree of copper cross sectional area.
  • lonewolf
    lonewolf Registered Users Posts: 2

I figured that. But with that being siad, why all the codes for wireing then?And is their any difference with using solid or stranded for dc?Thank you for all of the replys .
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    lonewolf wrote: »
    I figured that. But with that being siad, why all the codes for wireing then?And is their any difference with using solid or stranded for dc?Thank you for all of the replys .

Stranded wire is more flexible. Usually, #10 and smaller wire is solid, but you would really have troubles with #4 solid wire - it would be impossible to bend.

Flexible wires, such as welding cable, may consist of thousands of strands, and are very easy to bend.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figured that. But with that being siad, why all the codes for wireing then?....
    ...from panels to fuse box.

This is one of those times when following 'code' would be advised. Most wires will deteriorate quickly when exposed to sunlight. Most of the wire one your solar panels will be sunlight resistant RHH, RHW-2 or USE-2. If you must go cheap look for low voltage landscape wire, though it's only available to 10 or 8 gauge, but is widely available.

If you have a long wire run and need to heavier wire consider combining your panels at the array and running to the charge controller in conduit.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    If you must go cheap look for low voltage landscape wire, though it's only available to 10 or 8 gauge.

It actually is made at least in 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16. Some is only rated for 30 volts, while other types are rated up to 150 volts.

From panels to fused combiner that should be more than large enough. From combiner to CC or GTI depends on your configuration.
    Check out one manufacturer, Southwire, here.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    inetdog wrote: »
    It actually is made at least in 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16. Some is only rated for 30 volts, while other types are rated up to 150 volts.

Sorry, yes, it comes in thinner wire, OP was looking for 4 gauge, I posted 8 and 10, and should have said 10 gauge is usually available locally, 8 on order.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • rich
    rich Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    basically wire is wire, but the difference is usually what insulation surrounds the wire. of course it could be solid or multistranded, but still amounts to a degree of copper cross sectional area.

I believe multy strand carries less resistance, the finer the strand the better, my understanding is that most current travels on the surface of the wire, more strands more surface area....??
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I believe you are talking about skin depth... For 60 Hz the skin depth is not an issue.
    At 60 Hz in copper, the skin depth is about 8.5 mm. (0.33")

The skin depth frequency for 4/O cable is 125 Hz.

For DC, there is no "skin effect". Current flows throughout the entire conductor.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭

If you goto HomeDepot.. they sell stranded 4 AWG THHN wire for like $1.32/foot.. they have it on the reels.. just gotta ask.. Also my local one sells wire to 2/0 and I think 4/0 as well.. might want to go to a store and just poke around.. granted its not BURIAL rated and you may want to put it into some PVC piping to keep it better..

Whats the distance from the panels to the 'fuse' box?? Is the fuse box going to be mounted near the panels and then 4 AWG going a longer distance to the charge controller??

You could use like others said 10 or 12 AWG RHH/RHW-2/USE-2 wire from the panels to the fuse box.. and then the heavier 4AWG to bring it ALL to the charge controller...
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    ywhic wrote: »
    If you goto HomeDepot.. they sell stranded 4 AWG THHN wire for like $1.32/foot.. they have it on the reels.. just gotta ask.. Also my local one sells wire to 2/0 and I think 4/0 as well.. might want to go to a store and just poke around.. granted its not BURIAL rated and you may want to put it into some PVC piping to keep it better..

I believe it is EMT until ground level, then rigid (RMT) until reaching code required depth for PVC, then PVC. At least that is what James did for my generator conduit when it had to go underground for about 25 feet. Most of the conduit on my system while outdoors is EMT. In the attic, metal flex. In the garage sealtight metal flex (because of the laundry plumbing). The only above-ground PVC is on the one L-shaped string on the patio. he don't like exposing wire to sunlight even if it is sun-rated. Plus the sun and UV is brutal in AZ. All the other MC4 connector wire is free-air but that is only being used to connect the strings together.