questions about inverters

Options
Leehamrick
Leehamrick Registered Users Posts: 17
Hi,
I have a small solar setup that seems to work just fine so far I have been using it only to run 12 volt lights.
I'm looking at Pure Sine Wave inverters and I have a question,
What will the "no load power consumption" be with a 500 watt inverter?
And what would it be with a 1000 watt inverter?
I know that different brands may make a difference but just in general,,,,

Also If I buy 2 500 watt inverters can I stack them and use one or two depending on how many
watts I need at the time?
Thanks

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: questions about inverters
    Leehamrick wrote: »
    What will the "no load power consumption" be with a 500 watt inverter?
    And what would it be with a 1000 watt inverter?
    I know that different brands may make a difference but just in general,,,,

15, 18, 25, 60, 80... as you say it varies by inverter, look 'em up. Most places have specs or links to specs.
    Leehamrick wrote: »
    Also If I buy 2 500 watt inverters can I stack them and use one or two depending on how many
    watts I need at the time?

At this point I don't think there is a 1000 watt or less, inexpensive unit that stacks. I think Midnite has discussed that feature in their up coming smallish unit. Here's a link to their discussion forum, Robin and boB are engineers there.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What do you plan/want to run off the proposed inverter/s?
    Many people are amazed at what a Morningstar 300 watt, 600 surge can handle. One runs everything in my house except the water pump and electric frying pan etc, which are run by a more powerful inverter that's only on when needed.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options

The 800W Victron Multiplus inverter/chargers are stackable: http://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-12v-24v-48v-800va-3kva/ Full specs on that page.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options
    stephendv wrote: »
    The 800W Victron Multiplus inverter/chargers are stackable: http://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-12v-24v-48v-800va-3kva/ Full specs on that page.

At todays exchange rate, $471.25 US dollars for either the 12V or 24V, 800W inverter-only units.
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

watts I need at the time? .. Most inverters cant have their outputs joined. If you are using multiple inverters they need to have their outputs connected to different isolated circuits..
  • westend
    westend Solar Expert Posts: 46
    Options

Both Xantrex SW puresine 1000w and 600w inverters draw 500 mA at idle. I have a Samlex Pure Sine 600w and that draws 300 mA at idle. One could presume that you may see a savings of up to 500 mA between the two ratings for different brands. Some of the newer inverters also have an automatic "shut-down" feature when there is no draw on the 120v side, after a short time period.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    john p wrote: »
    Most inverters cant have their outputs joined. If you are using multiple inverters they need to have their outputs connected to different isolated circuits..

And that's the way I have my inverters wired into the house. a Morningstar pure sine 300 watt is always on and powers the vast majority of the house, while the more powerful inverter is wired to outlets for the washer, water pump, mini-split and kitchen counter for cooking appliances. It stays in standby mode until needed and only powers up when needed. Works amazingly well, never had a problem and seems to me far simpler than trying to arrange and control stacked inverters.