Options
124»

Comments

• YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Xantrex System Failures
    ChrisOlson wrote: »
    I've found that the XW6048 doesn't seem to have much issues with leg imbalances, even with one leg overloaded. I have the load start set at 25 amps, and Load Stop set at 20 amps. But it has to be over 25 amps for five minutes before it will start the generator. And it won't stop the gen unless the load drops below 20 amps for one minute.
    --
    Chris

It don't have issues with imbalance at all, but generators do. You convinced me to use generator support as a safety net. But I don't intend to plan on stacking generator and inverter capacity together. 5.5KW is my long term usage limit (many cloudy days, grid down, batteries dead....) Think Xantrex can do 37.5A line to neutral.
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Exactly, folks went nuts when I said I was using 6hp 3Kw genset, they wanted me to buy & use (from any vendor) something in the 15KW neighborhood. So I just smile when in a cloudy week, I burn only 2 gallons of diesel.

I was targeting inverter continuous capacity, plus or minus 1KW. Honda EU6500is fits that well. Plus it is more fuel efficient than standard generators at partial loads. James was pushing for me to get a 10KW generator at least but I don't want the fuel consumption.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Exactly, folks went nuts when I said I was using 6hp 3Kw genset, they wanted me to buy & use (from any vendor) something in the 15KW neighborhood. So I just smile when in a cloudy week, I burn only 2 gallons of diesel.

The generator should be sized by the loads it intends to support. The generator used to provide loads to the house should be sized to be able to support all loads (which is rather small). The generator used to charge batteries should be sized to provide enough of charging current and support loads at the same time (which is much bigger). So, it all depends on your use and purpose.
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Options
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    You can look at the voltage after dark. They won't be charging. If you remove loads and wait half an hour they will be at rest. If you still get 51V, your batteries are charged.

Fully charged batteries should not sug to 44V under 16kW load. If they do, then either something is wrong with the batteries or something is wired incorrectly.

It is a good idea if you insist on them measuring specific gravity of the batteries with hydrometer once they're charged. You can do that by yourself too. Each cell needs to be measured. If specific gravity is less than specified by manufacturer or different between cells, then you have a problem with batteries which needs to be addressed before everything else.

It takes a LOT longer than half an hour for batteries to reach their resting voltage. It's much closer to two or three hours, especially for physically large batteries. If you really want a clue, set the alarm for an hour before sunrise, then check.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    tallgirl wrote: »
    It takes a LOT longer than half an hour for batteries to reach their resting voltage. It's much closer to two or three hours, especially for physically large batteries. If you really want a clue, set the alarm for an hour before sunrise, then check.

Way longer than 3 hours too, if you want good precision. 10-12 hours for my batteries to go within 0.1V of resting voltage.

If you want to distinguish fully charged batteries from severely discharged ones, half an hour is plenty.